Questions for you portable gurus..

dwellpro

Supportive Member
Name
m
not at all..

Just couldn't quite recall your story.

What are your personal bikes that you actually ride?

my funnest bike

View attachment 6188

my most used bike

View attachment 6189
not at all..

Just couldn't quite recall your story.

What are your personal bikes that you actually ride?

my funnest bike

View attachment 6188

my most used bike

View attachment 6189
image.jpg

My favorite bike and 2nd favorite thing to do.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Mikey---That is called a Mullet setup... It appears to me that frame is 20 years oldish? It was real common early in the disc brake days.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
Funny.

Rick have you tried the Paul's Mini Vs?

They're amazing. Too bad it took Paul so long to come up with that design. If had hit in it earlier, pre disc, he would have nade a fortune.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Rick Imby

What is it you do in this industry again?...I forgot.

too much butyl.

Thank you for asking. Just a little trivia that I think you all can enjoy. Put "bike pedals" into the ebay best match search and you will see my left hand holding a pedal. "clipless pedals" "chain whip" "pedal wrench" "mtb pedals" "shimano cassette tool". zbikenut will often come up number one and often I will have two to five more items in the top 10.

With the "bike pedals" search there are 11,000+ items vying for number one.

While ebay has complete control of their search and could sell that position they don't. They make you earn it.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Mikey,
In the early 90s I had a pretty good sized mail order operation. We were building a ton of custom wheels, and selling any high end part we could get.

Most of the bike industry hates mail order as much as the o/o carpet guys hate Stanley Steemer. Shimano pedals, Shimano shoes, Specialized tires (I sold thousands and thousands of their ground controls), Oakley, Rock Shock, Thomson,
All of these guys cut me off for selling below what they wanted me to sell them for. They all blatantly flaunted that what they were doing was illegal but I did not have the energy to fight it.

We had a lot of fun with it and made pretty good money. I won't mention who ended up with the money as I got divorced about that time. Same old story.

When I decided to semi-retire I thought I would go back into it with a mild approach. First stage has worked well, now I just need to get on to the next stage.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Pauls brakes I think were the first brakes to need 1:1 brake levers way back when. As discs were just starting to be accepted. (All the cantilevers use 2:1 leverage). They work well but on long downhills and in the rain disc really excell.

In the snow I have ground down a brand new set of v-brake shoes in one ride and they didn't really work. Disc brakes are an absolute must have on a winter bike.

rick imby

Name
Rick
You can tell by the brace above the brakes the frame was designed for Cantilevers and there are no mounts for discs. Beautiful old Titanium frame---will outlast the owner, I will predict.

Reactions: dwellpro

dwellpro

Supportive Member
Name
m
disc up front....never seen that before..

How old is the Merlin?[/QUOTE

I bought it used in 2000. It has all new xtr including that disc. I built around the frame and won't think about getting rid of it. Rides so nice.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
That man is amazing. Has a an internet parts store . ;)
Been there done that, don't care for it. :errf:

This time one of us will die first.:winky:

and I think I can out run her even though she is much younger than me. :biggrin:

Screen shot taken for future news story on Topeka local TV: "....man tried to out run his wife, who was armed with 22caliber rat killing gun that the husband used -unsuccessfully - many times before.... The man didn't make it. Wife was a better shot and -allegedly - shot him while he was running away, trying to make it to the bank to take his money. Neighbors say they were a nice couple who owned one of them "shitter backed up- flood sucking biddness ". But they also say more and more loud exchange was heard recently since the twin daughters left for college and the couple was left alone in their house with nobody to bug but each other."

Screenshot_2015-08-28-08-37-46.png

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Neighbors say they were a nice couple who owned one of them "shitter backed up- flood sucking biddness ". But they also say more and more loud exchange was heard recently since the twin daughters left for college and the couple was left alone in their house with nobody to bug but each other."
Damn that sounds vaguely familiar! :biggrin:

Serpentine Serpentine!

Reactions: Zee

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo

Gotta say, looks like you have it covered.

Not the biggest fan of mesh filter bags connected to the interior side of the inlet, but only due to the fact that all the ones I have encountered required awkward ergonomics to remove it and re-secure it back on to the tube by reaching into an often dirty waste tank through a small opening.

I like the fact that it is secured directly to the lid and that the whole assembly can be completely removed/cleaned/re-installed efficiently and neatly.

I consider the waste filtering systems on just about every portable unit I have seen as being completely inefficient, and major weak point.

Little acorn filters lacking the necessary filter medium surface area relative to the volume of waste encountered are ridiculous, not to mention the placement of them at the BOTTOM of the waste tank, where remedying any obstruction requires reaching into 2 feet of disgusting waste water.

Managing a mesh filter bag through a 8 inch opening where visibility is lacking is a joke.

No reason one should have to fish around inside a portable waste tank on a regular basis, other than for periodic deep cleaning at ones convenience.

It's just gross.

If a decent size metal filter basket would be incorporated into a full sized portable unit, similar to the way an Airhog has one incorporated to it, it would be a major advancement in porty design in my book.

Reactions: SCC and dwellpro

dwellpro

Supportive Member
Name
m
Gotta say, looks like you have it covered.

Not the biggest fan of mesh filter bags connected to the interior side of the inlet, but only due to the fact that all the ones I have encountered required awkward ergonomics to remove it and re-secure it back on to the tube by reaching into an often dirty waste tank through a small opening.

I like the fact that it is secured directly to the lid and that the whole assembly can be completely removed/cleaned/re-installed efficiently and neatly.

I consider the waste filtering systems on just about every portable unit I have seen as being completely inefficient, and major weak point.

Little acorn filters lacking the necessary filter medium surface area relative to the volume of waste encountered are ridiculous, not to mention the placement of them at the BOTTOM of the waste tank, where remedying any obstruction requires reaching into 2 feet of disgusting waste water.

Managing a mesh filter bag through a 8 inch opening where visibility is lacking is a joke.

No reason one should have to fish around inside a portable waste tank on a regular basis, other than for periodic deep cleaning at ones convenience.

It's just gross.

If a decent size metal filter basket would be incorporated into a full sized portable unit, similar to the way an Airhog has one incorporated to it, it would be a major advancement in porty design in my book.

7 years ago I had a company make me metal filter baskets. They were akward and super expensive. These bags are so strong. Several lasted over a year. (12x18) I've tried tighter micron but feel it can affect air flow in the long run. Also, when stripping wax 600 micro has been the winner.

I am all about efficiency & simplistic approach

dwellpro

Supportive Member
Name
m
Mikey---That is called a Mullet setup... It appears to me that frame is 20 years oldish? It was real common early in the disc brake days.
image.jpg

My other bike. Use to ride half pipe. If my Merlin mountain bike is any indication of myself I would say Dwell Pro machines are built to last well into the next Generation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 150

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom