Replacing Computer In ThermalWave

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
So our Thermalwave has been randomly shutting down on jobs and we wound up replacing pretty much
every component on the truck related to the heating system, scensors etc. Now JonDon is saying
they think the computer needs to be replaced and that it costs 1 Thousand bucks to replace it.

This is a 2004 Thermwalwave Machine. Anyone ever replace a computer on this engine? Seems ridiculous to pay 1K for a computer on this engine.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I think you need to relocate the computer to a cooler location, more than replacing it.

Does it run for a while the cut off?

I think Jim Martin relocated his, maybe he will chime in.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I have the GM engine........

IMO...GM put the computer in the stupidest place possible.....a little cavity under the engine where the cooling fan does not even hit it....and it was getting way to hot....

On the GM engine...the computer comes with a very long cable that they coil up and tuck in the engine compartment....That allowed me to unbolt the computer and take it out of the compartment and relocate it out side of the machine.....

I made a stand and put it back out of the way behind the filter box.....

IMG_0663_zpsc937144d.jpg

even on a hot summer day it hardly gets warm....and I have no fan blowing on it keeping it cool....

F

FB7777

Even if that doesn't solve the problem , that is just great, sound advice Jim!

So glad I own Butlers... Most of the time when you guys are troubleshooting machines, I don't know wtf you are talking about

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
A grand seems like a lot but if it solves the headache, that's cheap!

Besides with the kind of dough you're making I'd just pay it and be down the road. Having a unit down has to cost you more than the fix.

I'd try moving the old first but if not get the new one if it needs it, then I'd mount like Jim suggested.

Good luck, nothing worse than unit problems. We get our fair share. :errf:

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I've had several mechanics tell me its almost never a bad computer, but that doesn't mean heat isn't the problem. I would also be checking for faulty wiring.

Reactions: Mikey P

Becker

Name
Becker
Have Jondon pull the machine while the van is there. Have them set it aside. I'll give ya 7000.00 ( nego ) for the console and tank.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Sure dont miss all those electronics on a tm.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
A grand seems like a lot but if it solves the headache, that's cheap!

Besides with the kind of dough you're making I'd just pay it and be down the road. Having a unit down has to cost you more than the fix.

I'd try moving the old first but if not get the new one if it needs it, then I'd mount like Jim suggested.

Good luck, nothing worse than unit problems. We get our fair share. :errf:

Right...move the thing out and see how hot it gets and if it shuts down.....

Becker

Name
Becker
We had a pretty hot summer last year, this is the cool time of year. So if this is a new problem, I'd have a hard time thinking it is related to heat. Back in July or Aug sure.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
We had a pretty hot summer last year, this is the cool time of year. So if this is a new problem, I'd have a hard time thinking it is related to heat. Back in July or Aug sure.

10 degrees.....or 110 degrees.....the computer does not care to much if something internal is over heating....he needs it out and exposed so he can feel how hot it is getting and to see if maybe just getting some air to it will solve his problem.......

Lance Golden

Name
Lance Golden
1st do as Jim posted, and get the computer out, on my old BL thermalwave, I strapped it to the vac hose going to the waste tank behind the unit...
2nd... When it's running, and at 1st shutdown, if the computer is hot to the touch, put a wet towel over it. If it runs fine, then it is the computer, if
not, you have another overheating issue.

I went thru 3 computer's on my BL

Name
Shawn Forsythe
I've relocated the computer on a few TW systems, and indeed it was successful in those cases.

I would give it a try before resorting to an R&R.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Ben sorry to hear about that and maybe moving it to a cooler place would take care of it. This is exactly why asked my mechanic before purchasing a new Truckmount and he advised against anything with the computer module in it and I stuck with a good old carbureted unit watercooled Prochem Apex just for these reasons

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Why wouldn't the manufacturer with all the covers on the machine . . .

have addressed that issue ?

Larry

I have no idea. Denial? Infrequency of issue?

It is not a supported remedy. Nor does it address legitimate issues with potentially failed components. It is just that some intermittent failures are remedied by keeping the computer cooler.
Just a speculation here, but the computers that respond may be considered, and probably are, a "failed" component that simply exhibits symptoms only at elevated running temps. By moving it to a cooler location, the remedy is a "band-aid" fix. Ordinarily this is not an option, but for the replacement cost of a new computer, it makes it something to contemplate. I suppose it could be seen as a temporary remedy until the unit is ultimately replaced (if you do). But then you have to ask yourself whether keeping it cooler may also extend the life. Certainly computer components can be affected negatively by heat, and keeping it cool is always going to be beneficial.

Last edited:

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
Ben:

Heres a thought before replacing it..

I had the same problem with my Everest EFI. True, my computer needed to be replaced, and I did it! I learned later, that you could have had it "reflashed" by the manufacturer (in my case, Zenith). If I were you, I would find out who made the computer, and call the factory, and talk to their Service Manager. Chances are, you may need to send the computer in, and have them reprogram it with all the updates, test it, and send it back to you. Probably 1/10 of the price.

If you do replace it, don't throw the old one away! I have two spare computers now for my Everest. Great security if it ever goes south on my during a busy season!

Shawn

Becker

Name
Becker
Ben:

Heres a thought before replacing it..

I had the same problem with my Everest EFI. True, my computer needed to be replaced, and I did it! I learned later, that you could have had it "reflashed" by the manufacturer (in my case, Zenith). If I were you, I would find out who made the computer, and call the factory, and talk to their Service Manager. Chances are, you may need to send the computer in, and have them reprogram it with all the updates, test it, and send it back to you. Probably 1/10 of the price.

If you do replace it, don't throw the old one away! I have two spare computers now for my Everest. Great security if it ever goes south on my during a busy season!

Shawn

WOW, That's awesome Shawn, The Thermalwave does have a zenith computer.

I have the same machine and will keep that in mind.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Mike Farmer at Zenith has saved our customers from having to replace their computers several times.

You need to be without it for a while till he takes care of it and ships it back to you.

Reactions: Art Kelley

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
As a manufacturer would you have covered an issue like that under your warranty? What length of warranty do you have on your TM's?

10-years is a long warranty. :eekk:

Richard;

Current Kohler engines are warrantied for 3 years, and blowers for 1.5 years.

We try to eliminate heat-related issues by not enclosing the components of our TM's.

The Kohler water-cooled engine that we used for several years,
had a fuel-injection ECU factory mounted on the side of the engine.

It survived very well, except when DIY mechanics got wiring crossed up.

Even then, the Bosch ECU was $425 or so.

It looks similar to the one pictured above, but is a 2-cyl design.
View attachment 3719

Larry

P.S. I have "reflashed" my Chevy Pickup V-6 ECU myself several times to adjust for better fuel economy.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That does seem like practical stuff, good idea!

What about a problem on a 10-year old Cobb unit? What's your policy? Free? Discount? Tough luck? I know ten years is a long time but the Blueline machine was a 2004 so I'm just using 10-years as comparison.

gtech12v

may be this will help , I also relocated an ECM on a truckmount same problem

Hi Guys! Just wanted to remind you we are a ZEEMS / ZENITH Distributor. Let me know if you need help sourcing any parts on the Zenith Fuel Systems.
H&M Industrial Supply
800-346-4331
Aimee

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
Mike Farmer at Zenith has saved our customers from having to replace their computers several times.

You need to be without it for a while till he takes care of it and ships it back to you.

It was about a week and a half for me. Sooner if you Next Day Air. Mike Farmer is very helpful!

spotman123

Name
Wayne foster
WOW, That's awesome Shawn, The Thermalwave does have a zenith computer.

I have the same machine and will keep that in mind.
Blueline did have issues with the Zenith brand ECU. I have been told the later models have the GM ECU which has resulted in fewer issues. Mine is the GM one and sits behind the radiator. I have not had any problems except a bad radiator fan which I purchased an aftermarket one to fit.

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
Sorry guys for taking so long. They wound up replacing the computer. The total cost was $1,700 including "labor". Gotta love JonDon.

But the machine seems to be running good now. Now that they've all ready pulled the computer out and replaced it theres no way to know if we could have just reset the computer. I'm sure we could have had a cheaper solution but time is money.

Becker - i paid 12,500 for the machine less than a year ago so if you want it , you can buy it for that price. Has 2,200 hours on it and a NEW COMPUTER ;)

Ben

Becker

Name
Becker
I bought mine like mid dec, You bought yours before I bought mine.

I'll consider it Ben.

Both Ben and my thermalwave were bought from Jon Don, they and I think one more were trade ins for 3 Everests.

J

JS41035

Wow that's crazy. Sometimes I wish I lived closer to a Jondon or interlink and sometimes I'm glad I don't.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom