Rotaries....................again.

Name
Marcus
I used an rx20 for 8 years off and on on trashed resturants and rentals
Rotary will always be heavier than zipper have an elec cord and have to rake on homes and some commercial
Zipper can clean and dry better because you can bump up the water flow to about 14-16 flow
Depending on your machine...
You might use a small scrubber in some extreme instances......
Got the zipper 16 months ago and the rx20 sits in my garage after a few tests against the zipper
Can't deal with the electric cord on commercial...

Reactions: Erik

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The spray of a wand (and Zipper) at high pressure and at 02 opening (larger droplets, or even larger if you're Ron) will hit the carpet pretty hard and agitate it, some. And since some of us do wet high pressure passes both ways + the lips of the wand, it does get agitated.

Where with a rotary due to centrifugal force and the hoss just has a water bar, all the agitation comes from the circular movement. Given, more agitation.

What I don't understand is (did I get it correctly?) some clean with the rotary and follow up with the wand for picking up the moisture. I thought Jim Martin said he does. Which sounds to me like a lot of work. I understand edging with the wand (still a hassle). Not sure I got it right.

Last edited:

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
One can argue the other way around it Ofer..

Where at high pressure, the smaller jets will "cut" more or in other words will agitate more.
Whereas the larger jet openings create a higher droplet size therfore reducing the aggressiveness of the water.

100psi thru a regular garden hose opening, will feel less agitating than the same pressure through a smaller opening.

It will have more flushing but less powerful piercing against the fibers.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Just when I thought I had it all together.
Please don't get me all agitated :winky:

Still the point is about agitation while using a wand.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Much better and thorough agitation with a rotary....so don't gemme started! :lol: there, you got me started....

I alternate between my 10 or 20 flow Greenhorn and I compare them with the Hoss and rv360xl. Somehow we always get a lot more junk in the filter bags with the rotary. Which is a good indicator on what is not being removed with the wand.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
What I don't understand is (did I get it correctly?) some clean with the rotary and follow up with the wand for picking up the moisture. I thought Jim Martin said he does. Which sounds to me like a lot of work. I understand edging with the wand (still a hassle). Not sure I got it right.

I'd imagine most use the wand after because it's easier and faster than getting swirls out with a brush. Yes, it's a hassle... Not too big of a deal though.

I also think a lot of the agitation is coming from the vac slots not necessarily from jets and psi.

Reactions: ruff and Zee

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
You are not going to find anything that will out clean a rotary...and the Hoss is the best out there...its ability to flush and get everything that is burred down into the carpet that not even a vacuum cleaner can't remove is amazing...

on the same side of the coin....your not going to find a better tool out there then the zipper...it is a industry changer....and will make its mark for years to come...

you can argue both sides....

I can only tell you what I like...and my Hoss will never see another commercial carpet again....we just finished the school and I used it on the entire job...

P7061030_zpsn4xwdk7n.jpg

It took me lees then a day in a half to do this entire thing.( record time )...one truck running a Hoss and me with the zipper...I cleaned much more area then he did and the carpets came out perfect...you just could not ask for better...it does a excellent job at deep cleaning the CGD...

They just booked that huge Church again for December....

PC150259_zps9993268d.jpg

I will have another Zipper for the other truck before I do this church again...

as far as residential carpets..My Hoss is the only thing I will ever use..it gets deep down in the pile of the carpet and flushes everything completely out..I can go over a area with the wand or the zipper and still get a bunch out with the Hoss...

as far as dry time...I have not seen anything out there that will ever beat the zipper......

IMO..both are a must have...but you cant really compare the 2....they are both in a class all by them self's.........

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Jim, I'd be interested in how you intend to clean the areas between the seats of this church. I know the open areas of the aisles you can blast away with whatever you have available. Obviously the Zipper or the Hoss won't be used; you need a very agile wand. I do these at churches and synagogues (no mosques yet LOL) and it's always a dilemma.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Jim, I'd be interested in how you intend to clean the areas between the seats of this church. I know the open areas of the aisles you can blast away with whatever you have available. Obviously the Zipper or the Hoss won't be used; you need a very agile wand. I do these at churches and synagogues (no mosques yet LOL) and it's always a dilemma.

I had no problem getting the zipper in there the first time..I doubt I will have any problems again... it took me a bit to figure out the best way to get it..but from that point it went pretty good..on the first 5 or 6 front rows..there is not way anything but a wand will fit...and it was a bitch...but after that they opened up and the zipper did a great job.....

PC150270_zps2a373245.jpg

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
It all comes down to the FACT that every cleaner interested in this job/ career/craft that spends their time here bettering themselves, needs BOTH a Zipper and an RE.

No two ways around it.

One could certainly live without the Zipper or a glided wand or any of the energy saving, time saving tools, but a rotary machine is essential, and a rotary extractor is the highest level of cleaning you can achieve, provided the carpet can withstand this aggressive form of cleaning. On my last job today, it was a new customer who had a white wool berber family room that was dirty and spotted, and worn thin in the areas in front of the recliner and sofa. She had used the large TM cleaning companies and they couldn't do much because they don't have either a rotary or a RE. I used a white pad on my 360i knowing full well that the swoop head would have torn those thread born areas to the base. Gently massaging a wool appropriate prespray with a white pad made the steam cleaning so much more effective.

Reactions: Russ T.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
I had no problem getting the zipper in there the first time..I doubt I will have any problems again... it took me a bit to figure out the best way to get it..but from that point it went pretty good..on the first 5 or 6 front rows..there is not way anything but a wand will fit...and it was a bitch...but after that they opened up and the zipper did a great job.....

View attachment 4886
So you ignore the areas under the seats.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Somehow we always get a lot more junk in the filter bags with the rotary. Which is a good indicator on what is not being removed with the wand.
Just like with some of these cheap vacuums with overly aggressive brushes, I am sure that some of the junk is part of the yarn being removed due to aggressive agitation. I am willing to bet that the more aggressive the Rotary head is the more fluff you'll get.

When I bought some of these cheap vacuums I was impressed too. Till I noticed that a lot of the "junk" had the same color as the specific carpet I was vacuuming.

And yes, I assume you'd also remove more dirt.

What's RE Art?

Reactions: roro

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
So you ignore the areas under the seats.

no...the zipper will get one half under the bench....and when I get the next row I will pick up the other half from the back side and so on......its not that difficult....last time I did it it came out great....

Reactions: Mark Saiger

hogjowl

Idiot™
I do tons of churches. I have one mega church I have on a monthly contract. If I had room on the van, I would carry a 1.5 inch wand with a 12 inch vac slot for those areas between the pews. It's a pain doing those areas even with a 14 inch Greenhorn. I can't imagine trying it with a Zipper.

I'll be getting a RE soon. While I bitch about the Zipper, I like it on commercial. But the only way I have found to successfully use it without getting so pissed that I want to throw it out the van at 65 mph is to clean my way INto the room, not out. Fighting the hoses is a real pita for me while using the Zipper.

Reactions: Art Kelley
Name
Nate W.
I do tons of churches. I have one mega church I have on a monthly contract. If I had room on the van, I would carry a 1.5 inch wand with a 12 inch vac slot for those areas between the pews. It's a pain doing those areas even with a 14 inch Greenhorn. I can't imagine trying it with a Zipper.

I'll be getting a RE soon. While I bitch about the Zipper, I like it on commercial. But the only way I have found to successfully use it without getting so pissed that I want to throw it out the van at 65 mph is to clean my way INto the room, not out. Fighting the hoses is a real pita for me while using the Zipper.

You'll have to do the same dance with the RE..... It makes cleaning go a lot faster without having to fight the hoses..... But we all know you'll bi+ch about grooming after a RE...:clap:

Reactions: hogjowl

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

I think what you and the other non believer is missing is the actual size of the church and the spacing between the benches...it is larger then normal...
they ave very big kneeling benches that pop that fold down and take up a lot of floor space so they are spread apart further...

hogjowl

Idiot™
I don't see your brown ass out cleaning every day, Taco!

Yes, I bitch. I moan. I'm a pita. But, I do it for ya'll.

Imagine how boring this place would be if I wasn't constantly pissing Olsin and Boyle off?

Not mention Vawter.

I never mention Vawter.

tubad sosad

Name
joe mama
mr. Ofer, re stands for rotary extractor.

and you church guys should talk to tom conway as his swival wand might be a great way of doing under the seats. and then use a zipper between the seats.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I think what you and the other non believer is missing is the actual size of the church and the spacing between the benches...it is larger then normal...
they ave very big kneeling benches that pop that fold down and take up a lot of floor space so they are spread apart further...

I have only done one Catholic church and it was years ago, so I forgot about that. They stopped using me as soon as they realized I also cleaned for the Episcopals.

Name
Nate W.
I don't see your brown ass out cleaning every day, Taco!

Yes, I bitch. I moan. I'm a pita. But, I do it for ya'll.

Imagine how boring this place would be if I wasn't constantly pissing Olsin and Boyle off?

Not mention Vawter.

I never mention Vawter.

I just use common sense when buying tools and use them to my benefit........ If you see the value in the tool that makes it easier/saves you time, you'd be a fool not to get it regardless of what anyone shills.....

and you church guys should talk to tom conway as his swival wand might be a great way of doing under the seats. and then use a zipper between the seats.

And the guy has the nerve to call me a noob........... :yawn:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
back to the dry times on the zipper......my entire reel was tapped out ..just over 300 feet...

P7061022_zpswqlcrrgi.jpg

and my dry time with the zipper was better then his run at the other end of the building..

P7061025_zpsp4llzgiq.jpg

pulling about 180/200 feet...and I only ran mine on medium.............

Reactions: Erik

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Yes, I forgot about the swivel wand. Cleaning under seats inside of church pews is the only scenario I would find it to be useful. Otherwise it would just be weird and annoying to have a wand head flopping about.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Than Art's sentence makes no sense.
...... and they couldn't do much because they don't have either a rotary or a RE.

Why would Arty, who used to be my hero (till I was fatally and painfully made aware of either his grammar and or his syntax shortcomings) have to repeat the same as if it is different?
I am contacting Waldo, as we speak, to remove him from all due considerations.

And here I thought Arty came up with another trick pony! :winky:

And the guy has the nerve to call me a noob........... :yawn:

Sorry, that was because last time you were mentioned, you were still being taught how to manage your hose. :winky:
So, when's your Bar Mitsva?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom