Rotaries....................again.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Got it. Great. So all along it has been my fault. I plead ESL.
Now I'll need to change the name of the thread. And in Fred's name, I have no idea how to do it.

So Art used a rotary on a thread bare wool rug?
And he admits it on a public forum? :eekk:

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't see your brown ass out cleaning every day, Taco!
Not everyday but I still go out or clean here in the shop when needed. :winky:

Last month I cleaned 6K of upholstery, I was on 8-water losses. This week I cleaned 4 rugs and another load of upholstery. I've only been on one carpet job in the last couple of months but they told me they need me next Saturday for a big project.

I'm resting up for it. I sure hope my Zipper gets here by then. :smile:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Zechariah 12:3
You're gonna make me look it up?
I went to elementary school with a Zechariah and trust me, you shouldn't quote him.

Anyhow, since you have that quote so readily available, why is it that I have a foreboding feeling that I shouldn't look it up?

Last edited:
Name
Marcus
This is my take and experience on rotaries
If you have enough vacuum and enough heat and enough water flow
A rotary is not necessary
Example ....I have seen a lot of power washer guys over the years and have never seen a scrubber although I am sure some pressure washer guys have scrubbers.
They crank up the water flow and crank up the heat and go to town...concrete is a lot harder to cleanthan carpet.....
Same process with carpet if your vacuum will hold it crank up the heat and crank up the water flow with the zipper.......
I have a 4.5 blower and kero heat and use 14-15 flow...twice the cleaning as 8 flow....

Name
Marcus
Zach 12:3
I will make jerusalem a very heavy stone for all people
And all who would heave it away will be cut to pieces
This is true the last 70 years and before...beautiful city
All should visit Jerusalem......the center of the world......

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Zach 12:3
I will make jerusalem a very heavy stone for all people
And all who would heave it away will be cut to pieces
This is true the last 70 years and before...beautiful city
All should visit Jerusalem......the center of the world......
th?id=JN.mnv8aRhFRKZWK380zY7FRg&pid=15.1&P=0.jpg

So, what's Julep (Marty) saying?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Why doesn't SS (hey Studebaker!) can't add a pad and brush driver that can be attached to the Hoss 700?

The ability to scrub or pad will reduce the mental (spiritual and physical) pain of dragging it out of the van and make it a much more versatile too.

I hate disturbing all the dust that collects on the tools in the back of my van.

Name
Marcus
Also a rotary can snag carpet and edges even with glides.
I agree that a zipper should be pushed with the hose behind it's easier,
But you can use it either way. It seems to always clean a little faster wo many dry strokes cleaner and drier.

tubad sosad

Name
joe mama
ok guys here's my question, why not use brush agitation??? a cimex in Lee's case and or a crb in others? the 360 has steel shoes and the hoss has steel or teflon (your choice) and lots of people think that is agitation. reallly? a rotary can flush well because the rinse in picked up right away by the vac shoes, i can see that as the only agaitation but a wand or zipper has jets and uses those to flush and agaitate the carpet too. just not as many passes as a rotaty is able to do.

the best rotary would be the one that comes after a cimex or crb, with that you get a great cleaning at a faster pace. win/win. a crb is not too heavy (the 10" or 15") and light and medium soiled carpets could be wanded out. Go with a rotary instead of wand on heavy soiled carpets.

In mark's video above i think that a crb and zipper combo could have done a great job. maybe not faster but maybe easier and/or better results. also maybe faster dry times.

Fred C. if this should be a new thread then post it as such, no big deal for me.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
the best rotary would be the one that comes after a cimex or crb, with that you get a great cleaning at a faster pace.
I'm not saying you're wrong but you're wrong! ;)

Seriously its not needed. The RE itself provided the agitation and lifting of pile. I don't believe unless it is completely trashed that there is a need for additional steps.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
ok guys here's my question, why not use brush agitation??? a cimex in Lee's case and or a crb in others? the 360 has steel shoes and the hoss has steel or teflon (your choice) and lots of people think that is agitation. reallly? a rotary can flush well because the rinse in picked up right away by the vac shoes, i can see that as the only agaitation but a wand or zipper has jets and uses those to flush and agaitate the carpet too. just not as many passes as a rotaty is able to do.

the best rotary would be the one that comes after a cimex or crb, with that you get a great cleaning at a faster pace. win/win. a crb is not too heavy (the 10" or 15") and light and medium soiled carpets could be wanded out. Go with a rotary instead of wand on heavy soiled carpets.

In mark's video above i think that a crb and zipper combo could have done a great job. maybe not faster but maybe easier and/or better results. also maybe faster dry times.

no matter how bad it is...your pre spray is and always will be your first line of defense on anything.....if it is not doing it's job..the only thing that is going to get agitated is you...

so you can put your pre spray on and take your crb and scrub the hell out of it then take your wand and give it a good cleaning and it will probably look just fine.....then after you are done..... grab a rotary and see exactly how much you just left in the carpet...and I promise you..it will be a lot...I have done this test many many times and other have tried it and are also amazed at how much they can pull out...the filter does not lie.......

if you have a good pre spray..then you can save yourself the extra steps and just grab the rotary and let it do the job for you...

I have been a avid rotary cleaner for years...and have been around this tree way to many times...and I have yet to find anything that will out clean and out flush just a simple rotary cleaning................

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
The spray of a wand (and Zipper) at high pressure and at 02 opening (larger droplets, or even larger if you're Ron) will hit the carpet pretty hard and agitate it, some. And since some of us do wet high pressure passes both ways + the lips of the wand, it does get agitated.

Where with a rotary due to centrifugal force and the hoss just has a water bar, all the agitation comes from the circular movement. Given, more agitation.

What I don't understand is (did I get it correctly?) some clean with the rotary and follow up with the wand for picking up the moisture. I thought Jim Martin said he does. Which sounds to me like a lot of work. I understand edging with the wand (still a hassle). Not sure I got it right.

No...I rotary into a room and then grab the wand and do a few areas that may need cut in...sometimes if I am in a room that has no ceiling fan or any type of circulation I may give a quick dry stroke over the center..other then that I just brush everything out....

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
There are just some carpets that respond differently to each method of cleaning.

I have been on wands with no prescrub...to rotaries only, to agitation of many methods and wand, to Zipper....to agitation and Zipper....to.....

Well, I just keep grabbing the tools out of the van until I find the one that the carpet seems to like best....

Some carpets are just plain strange in my neck of the woods and I bring every "Gun" or "Tool" I need to get er done!

And presprays can be a magic bullet too.....

Mikey P

Administrator
Lance what you say in theory makes sense but in reality it just aint so.

The leading edge of the vacuum shoe on any of the available REs is plenty of agitation, in many cases, too much so..

Add the twirling jets and you'll find yourself digging out at bare minimum 10 times more embedded sand, hair and crud than ANY brush wand combo ever could.

Luckily, most carpet just don't need that much cleaning.

Reactions: ruff
Name
Nate W.

Fred C. if this should be a new thread then post it as such, no big deal for me.

Do you clean carpets for a living? What equipment do you have?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom