Rotary Extractor

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
What would you think of your mechanic if he charged extra for using his air wrench?

Reactions: Mikey P

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
How did YOU break in that head?

We actually just started using it....ran it on some test carpets in the shop and it worked great right away with the Teflon Slot glides,.

Nice and stable, very smooth.....

The 360 XL is pretty aggressive I guess you could say, and this set up has really become our favorite.

Reactions: Mikey P

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
We are professionals. Let's use whatever tool we think is necessary to deliver the desired outcome for the customer.

There is no SINGLE tool that will match the level of cleaning of a good rotary extractor.

BUT it takes more time. What is more important to your customers? Price or quality of service.

The best thing in any industry is never the cheapest. Sensible consumers understand this and sensible consumers are our BEST customers. You can have the tire kickers who believe all carpet cleaning is the same and they make their buying choice solely on price.

Yes, you should be charging more than others on every job because you are better and delivering a superior product and service.

I'm not saying a rotary extractor is all you need but it's a very important tool and I can't imagine not having one on every residential job.

Last edited:

Ron K

Two questions.
On average.
How much slower?
How much longer to dry?
How Large a machine required?
That last one was bonus question. I would think my Legend could not handle a 360XL. Not enough heat,suck or waste tank.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Two questions.
On average.
How much slower?

A rotary takes practice. In the beginning it takes quite a bit longer, maybe even 40% when I first started using the 360i. I've got many hundreds of jobs behind me now and can say I've probably got that down to 20%. A rotary is going to give you a MUCH more thorough clean. If you're aiming for THAT level of clean, you've got to add some agitation from a machine with weight to it and maybe a high flow tool like the Zipper. These additional steps take extra time too. I feel like that question always neglects the FACT that you really are comparing 2 different levels of cleaning. Take your eyes off the TIME factor for a moment and consider if you want to go in a more thorough direction.

How much longer to dry?

Not much, if it's done right. I clean my way into a room and dry my way out. You will be digging all kinds of deep down crap out of the carpet so keep the blower protection filters clean and I recommend using a Devastator filter or something similar.

I've never run a Legend but I imagine you could pick any rotary you like. It will actually HELP you make the MOST out of a smaller machine IMO.

That last one was bonus question. I would think my Legend could not handle a 360XL. Not enough heat,suck or waste tank.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Is there an easy way to respond to a list of questions so that in the end it doesn't all look like what the OP posted.

I know I responded within the quote but I see other guys doing it where it is clear what the OP wrote, and what the response was.

Thanks!

Name
Nate W.
Two questions.
On average.
How much slower?
How much longer to dry?

Uncle Ronnie, it depends on what type of carpet you normally run into.... Rentals, people who wait too long to clean, trashed places, near beaches is where I use it most... It will slow you down some, but not much if it's what I listed above.... You'll get a cleaner outcome... Idk if you would want to do dry strokes with the wand to "rake" out the swirl marks or just rake it.... PSI and hose run will determine your dry times... It doesn't matter if its my portable or TM with the RV360i, if I run the zipper over it, It will pull out more moisture... I tend to focus more dry passes on the walk areas...

Idk about the RVXL, I have the "i" and it's more versatile for me.... You will use more water compared to your 1jet wand, but on the trashed stuff it makes it easy work out on it.... The hardest part to get used to is cleaning into a room... Hose management is way easier but it's a bigger transition for guys who clean they're way out of the house with a wand...

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Ron, the rotary will not necessarily slow you down on heavily soiled carpets. I'm sure you've been in situations when wand cleaning, you have had to slow right down and do repeat passes over and over again, maybe stopping to respray etc. The rotary tools will clean those situations a lot faster and will be somewhat slower on lightly soiled carpet. Your legend will keep up pressure/vac wise, you may lose some heat if your too long on the trigger. You still ha to do dry passes so use that time to let your heat rebuild

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
One benefit people are overlooking... How easy on your body it is! I'll take running a rotary any day over a wand, or even my zipper.

Reactions: Russ T. and jcooper

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
One benefit people are overlooking... How easy on your body it is! I'll take running a rotary any day over a wand, or even my zipper.

I'm using mine more and more for that exact reason.

And the better job.

Reactions: Russ T.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I'm looking forward to trying the Teflon/Brush Head for the 360i in ATL.

Saiger thinks the glides will smooth this action out..

I have doubts that it will clean as well..

I think you will be surprised.....

So far, they have not let me down with that brush head combo....

And I like how forgiving they are when we mess up and hit a corner of a tile with it....or transition strip ....um...but that never happens.... :) :oldrolleyes:

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
I just have the rugualar head on my xl but took off the teflon bobbins for some extra agitation. It doesnt run quite as smooth but it is definitely more aggressive. I wouldnt mind trying the brush head with teflon but $500 is a lot just to try something. Any being auctioned in the near future? Or loaner programs?

Mikey P

Administrator
I just have the rugualar head on my xl but took off the teflon bobbins for some extra agitation. It doesnt run quite as smooth but it is definitely more aggressive. I wouldnt mind trying the brush head with teflon but $500 is a lot just to try something. Any being auctioned in the near future? Or loaner programs?

Mark is your 1/2 horse XL having ANY issues spinning the glided brush head?

If not, we'll auction one off..

Reactions: jwfoulk12

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Mike- I know your tall but if you can tilt the handle back farther it will minimize the jumping.

J

JS41035

RX all day. On glued down carpet they are great. Maybe the new swanky brush head rotovac is better.(makes up for little TMs ). The Hoss on glides is tolerable on level CGD.

Name
Nate W.
Is it the rv360 or the rv360i...? You can tell by the handle adjustment and vac port.... I'd grab it if it's the rv360i.... I'd pass if it's the OG360...

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
No, an rx 20 is for sale. One of my suppliers has one his floor for $2000.00. This one is advertised at $700.00. Just don't want to buy it if it's going to collect dust in the shop but it seems like a hell of a deal.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
We have used the new brush head with Teflon glides on some commercial Nylon....

In this video, boy wonder called it Berber by accident...but it works well so far on what we have been trying.

and I also have ran a lot of RX 20's and also still have one in the shop....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom