Rotovac CFX Review!

not much psi i would get a water otter in conjunction...or it would be an excellent flood pumber. Who wants to sell me one?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
So I finally picked up a dual 3 stage CFX to use as an emergency back-up porty for my TM and as a stand-alone machine. Works great, more suck than my Air Hog Plus. The problems people had with it (pump-out failing quickly) are easily solved with the addition of an external inline filter (I bought a Mytee one for $99).
GEDC1641_zpsde9996e3.jpg
Works great with the 360i or a wand.
GEDC1647_zpsd29df8f3.jpg
Everyone needs a porty in their truck to be able to finish a job if your TM pukes or just for versatility. You can carry this little powerhouse with one hand.
GEDC1648_zpsdfb97522.jpg

Thanks for the review DevilThomas! (BTW, anything to report for the Rubber Room?)

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thank you Art. Good review.
What do you do when the machine needs to be indoor (highrises) and if you do not trust the option of automatic refill (flood comes to mind.)
Is the suction as good as some of these new high cfm, dual three stage vacuums motors.

I love the lightness, more and more as I get older.

Are the vacuums in parallel or in series?

Is that a 2.5 hose?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
It works just fine indoors like any porty Ofer. I just don't like the noise and the occasional foam belch as it has just a tiny recovery tank. The apo works great. I bought this one used on Ebay. It's just a vacuum machine with apo, you have to hook up to a sink for water.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
After several years use of the CFX, the only downside that I found, (which I found out soon after buying), is that the small clips that connect it to the base unit/waste water tank, very easily cut this old farts legs.

Yes Marty, I wear shorts to work.:frown:

Once you are aware of this, you soon learn the right way to carry it. :redface:

:yoda:

Reactions: Art Kelley

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
I have been using mine as a back-up to my TM, also. As with most equipment purchases, it gets tuned to my specs, some of which are, installed a 3/8 shut-off near lowest point in tank, for draining. Threw away the drain hose, to bulky and heavy/dirty appearance. Bought the HOSE-X expandable hose at CrappyTire, fabric covering hides discusting view of crap that was visable in the clear hose. Easier to pack-up. On the top of the pump-out, I put a 90 degree elbow to a garden-hose male fitting and tightened securly.No more foam blowing thru the exhaust! The original set-up could draw air causing the apo to not work properly.
Cut the end out of the pvc filter, as fibre build-up would clog easily. Yoour set-up with the external filter is my next step. Built a couple of extra interior filters that the sock goes over, adding an extra 1/4 inch gap for the draw string to sit in.

Reactions: Art Kelley

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
can that be used as an inline booster for a tm?

I think so; I saw a setup in a Rotovac ad where the TM's hose was connected to the exhaust pipe of the CFX. Actually, in the ad, the set-up is confusingly backward, showing the porty in a tug-of-war with the TM. Whatever. You would hook to the exhaust,not the vacuum intake. LOL.
View attachment 4365

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Art, again please, for the un-initited and in details por favor.

Or, heaven forbid, maybe Rotovac will take the initiative and answer some questions. The concept seem good and the lightness can solve some serious issues in ease of use, not to mention the space saving.

Hello!
Rotovac!!??

1. Is there a way to clean with detergent in the cleaning solution (not via pre-spray). It seems like you only get fresh water from the faucet, therefore the only way will be to pre-spray the entire carpet and clean with fresh water.
  2. Is pressure, since it comes from inside faucet, an issue? Seems like you can't exactly control water delivery.
  3. In series or in parallel?
  4. Water lift. CFM?
  5. Other things I'm missing?

I'll definitely consider buying one.

Last edited:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Art. again, please for the un-initited and in details please.

Or, heaven forbid, maybe Rotovac will take the initiative and answer some questions. The concept seem good and the lightness can solve some serious issues in ease of use, not to mention the space saving.

Hello!
Rotovac!!??

1. Is there a way to clean with detergent in the cleaning solution (not via pre-spray). It seems like you only get fresh water from the faucet, therefore the only way will be to pre-spray the entire carpet and clean with fresh water.
  2. Is pressure, since it comes from inside faucet, an issue?
  3. In series or in parallel?
  4. Water lift. CFM?
  5. Other things I'm missing?

I'll definitely consider buying one.

This is purely for a modular system Ofer. My primary interest in a portable machine is vacuum power and this provides the most vac power available with two 15 amp circuits. The motors are set in parallel not series. I rely on the 360i for the aggressiveness one would try get from high water pressures in a wand; the rotary floods the carpet as it beats the fibers with the swoop head, high psi is not wanted or needed. If I ever want or need higher pressure, I will put inline a 220psi flowjet I have in a plastic tool box, or connect to a Mytee Water Box which is a nifty ad-on to the Air Hog Plus which provides 220 psi and chemical metering. If I wanted to use this for tile cleaning I would buy a Water Hog or similar machine which gives 100-1200 psi in another lightweight modular, but I just use my TM for tile work.

Reactions: ruff

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Art would you say that works better than the Mytee air hog?

To me they are identical in use; the CFX is extremely easy to carry with one hand, the Air Hog Plus has a decent waste capacity meaning you could clean a couple rooms without dumping, which might be convenient in some situations.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Wish they had of introduced the 1200 psi version BEFORE I bought mine. :icon_cry:

One thing about both the Ranger & the 250 psi, they are a bloody pain to try & take up stairs.

Center of balance does not work well in this situation, even with the big wheels. :dejection:

Also, the fresh water tank of 25 gallons does not have a drain valve.

I put a tee piece into mine at the rear of the tank where the water goes into the pressure pump.

I then ran a hose along side the pressure delivery pipe to the front where I then attached an on/off tap or valve.

:yoda:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
I wish he could...he was a good dude
DT got killed in an auto accident a few years ago

..L.T.A.

Ah well, Larry, it was worth a shot. Bob and Lisa would become Born Again if he responded. So would I.

L.T.Y....

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I have a used one here that I have been sitting on for nearly a year. $750 shipped. this is the base the one with no pump just vac and pump out you hook up to the garden hose like you see in art picture

Name
Nate W.

Is it the 1 cord dual 2stage vac or 2 cord dual 3stage vac CFX?

I have the dual 2stage model and its decent for tile work... I got the rotovac 360i w/tile attachments, mytee waterhog, CFX etc.... for $1,500 used 5 times....... Clearly they made their millions and moved on to rub shoulders with other millionaires..... :lol:

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
I'll have a RE Marty.

Which mean I'll still out clean you regardless of what ever fictitious truck mount you dont buy.

Maybe when Mr Independently Wealthy completely ruins his board, you can buy whats left.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Above I noticed Art saying it's a parallel vac set up and not series?

In the other thread where the guy in that video talks about switching from parallel to series: doesn't he say series is better for carpet cleaning because it creates 60% more lift?

So Art, is your cfx in series or parallel?

rick imby

Name
Rick
This is the revived thread but Art your machine is the 15 gallon, not the five gallon that was available back then?

Mikey starting over and going the Porty route with a Caravan, I cannot wait to see what you come up with.

15 gallon CFX out the front door, Rotovac XL, cimex, crb, Grumpy--repainted, Cross American, Mytee Flood Hog, Steamin Demon, Goliath, Mytee heater,

or Butler High Heat, 10 inch CRB, Zipper,

or Aerotech, 2 Zippers, cimex,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom