Rotovac CFX Review!

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
This is the revived thread but Art your machine is the 15 gallon, not the five gallon that was available back then?

I have both models; I used the original 5 gallon last year, now I use the 15 gallon I got this year. The smaller unit, while very handy and easy to carry, had a tendency to spit out foam because the vacuums were so close to the bottom of the recovery tank. This larger model is virtually trouble free; you don't even have to prime the waste pump in order to get to work. You just set up and start working.
cfx 029.JPG
cfx 015.JPG
cfx 017.JPG

rick imby

Name
Rick
Heck Shorty, you can probably sell the one you have now and buy a new one for the price you would pay just for the bottom...

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Art, is the inline filter you use a necessity with the Ranger?

What's the stock APO filter mechanism on one of those?

Can you auto-fill directly to the freshy?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Art, is the inline filter you use a necessity with the Ranger?

What's the stock APO filter mechanism on one of those?

Can you auto-fill directly to the freshy?

Inside is a bar that runs across the top with a crap strainer. If you don't run an external filter, it will eventually fill with crap like any filter, and make a big mess, and eventually clog the pump-out mechanism. The APO filter itself is a strainer. Running a Mytee or Devastator filter will allow you to do dozens of jobs without even cleaning out the machine filter and it performs problem free.
There is no fresh water tank; it is a vacuum module. You need to provide a water source.

cfx 014.JPG

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Another decent portable concept and unit plagued by the same common weakness as most other portable units (Other than the DWELLPRO I might add)........which is a ineffective, totally unreliable filter mechanism that miserably fails both in concept and performance.

The faster you can pump out, the faster you can continue to fill it.

Porty APO slows....and you will inevitably have to stop.

Small 12-15 gallon tanks lack the "buffer" to absorb even the slightest slowdown, that the extra volume capacity of a large TM waste tank offers, so any issues HAVE to be dealt with often then and now.

Vac and pump systems, in general, are for the most part reliable and somewhat predictable.

The APO as the weakest link in most portable systems (Except the DWELLPRO), in this hacks opinion.

There will NEVER be a effective solution to this problem until all attempts to remedy it from INSIDE of the waste tank are totally abandoned, and thoughts focus on an effective filter mechanism located PRE-WASTE-TANK, and integrated to the main body as a fixed unit.

Acorn filter at the tank bottom...............FAIL.

Stinky mesh bag tied to 4 inches of slimy PVC...............Fail.

Having an additional bulky component to set-up like an inline filter to compensate for poor design........FAIL.

An operator should be able to quickly disengage their vac hose and immediately be able to access a sufficient sized SS mesh cylindrical filter basket and service it quickly as needed with minimal downtime.

The filter mesh size has to also be paired with the pump in relation to the max size solids it can reliably handle with heavy use.

It frustrates me that such a vital system as an APO has been so neglected.

Reactions: rick imby

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
There will NEVER be a effective solution to this problem until all attempts to remedy it from INSIDE of the waste tank are totally abandoned, and thoughts focus on an effective filter mechanism located PRE-WASTE-TANK, and integrated to the main body as a fixed unit.

Acorn filter at the tank bottom...............FAIL.

Having an additional bulky component to set-up like an inline filter to compensate for poor design........FAIL.

An operator should be able to quickly disengage their vac hose and immediately be able to access a sufficient sized SS mesh cylindrical filter basket and service it quickly as needed with minimal downtime.

The filter mesh size has to also be paired with the pump in relation to the max size solids it can reliably handle with heavy use.

It frustrates me that such a vital system as an APO has been so neglected.

It is prudent and not inconvenient to use an external filter due to the large amount of debris picked up, especially if you don't prevac. The Mytee Air Hog Plus machine had an integrated filter built into the unit and it kept the APO clear and trouble-free. However, when you finished the job, and opened the filter lid, you dumped crap onto your shoes and the freshly cleaned carpet. That was a fail.

Reactions: rick imby

rick imby

Name
Rick
It is interesting that two hardcore Professional Porty Hacks (Art and Frank) have the same comments about porties and debris filtration.

They have taken different routes to solve the problem---Art uses an inline filter with his CFX and Frank parks his porty in the bathroom and dumps regularly without using an APO (I think that is what Frank does).

I wonder if the John L from Mytee and anybody from any of the other Porty Manufacturers are watching this thread. We know Ed V is and the gentleman from Dwell pro is.

rick imby

Name
Rick
@Goomer have you looked at the new Flood Hog from Mytee, it seems to be the solution you are looking for. It is not technically a portable but it is interesting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom