Should being a multi surface serviceman be a trade school/apprenticeship level career path?

Mikey P

Administrator
1698326263405.png

FredC

Village Idiot
is that marketing from a trade school?

..L.T.A.

or Mike Rowe. Some of those are OK, especially at union rates, but whoever made the list didn't look at welder pay unless they mean off on a pipeline somewhere....

FredC

Village Idiot
Up here, welders and fabricators are making $50 per hour.

aren't they mostly Union? and contract type jobs

There are 50/hour positions here but you aren't going to get them just being a certified welder. You might make somewhere near that off on a pipeline job or rig. A lot of times the good money is made in these through a bunch of travel or a ton of overtime.

most welding positions around here are $20/hour or so and exist in fab shops/production

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
2 year certification.

Year 1: Learn the trade of carpet (1month class) upholstery (1month class) hard surface (2months) Intro to water damage (1month)
Year 2: Business management: (8months)

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
most welding positions around here are $20/hour or so and exist in fab shops

"regular Joe Welder" here in the shops are $20-$28 an hour

Union electricians don't make all that much either.
(in residential, com pays more)
4 years ago, one of the union sparkys told me he made $24 and change an hour

..L.T.A.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
aren't they mostly Union? and contract type jobs

There are 50/hour positions here but you aren't going to get them just being a certified welder. You might make somewhere near that off on a pipeline job or rig. A lot of times the good money is made in these through a bunch of travel or a ton of overtime.

most welding positions around here are $20/hour or so and exist in fab shops/production

A lot of these jobs are on northern projects, pipelines, etc but even locally we have skilled jobs going begging. We lacked skilled people.

Mikey P

Administrator
But what if they were a trade school for carpet tile upholstery area rugs countertop Stone etc that taught you everything you needed to know how to clean and service it all, teach you about equipment choices and maintenance talk about business, marketing, employees and after 2 years of apprenticeship you are ready to go if you had half your wits about you

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Should being a multi surface serviceman be a trade school/apprenticeship level career path?​

please define "multi-surface servicemen"

that could be anything from an installer of carpet and tile.
to a CC'er that cleans LVT, tile 'n grout
Or repairs grout and caulks tubs or polishes scratches out of stone

while it's true there's no substitute for "experience" the short answer to your question is "no"

it's not like any of those jobs will get a house or homeowner dED from fire, shock, CO, and other potential hazards that go with all the "legit" building "trades"

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
But what if they were a trade school for carpet tile upholstery area rugs countertop Stone etc that taught you everything you needed to know how to clean and service it all, teach you about equipment choices and maintenance talk about business, marketing, employees and after 2 years of apprenticeship you are ready to go if you had half your wits about you

you (or one of you associates) considering starting a "trade school"?
Is that reason for this thread?

.L.T.A.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
They will find their way.. I found one today. This is crazy. He wants to work for me after working for Apple. His side hustle is a Disney travel agent. He is spot on, no pun intended. Freind of one of my kids, and he always stood out as genuine. When he booked the Disney trip for the girls, I saw him sell. He will be great with photo op. Its only selfies now, Pia.

Reactions: Living The Dream

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
With a 2year certification, a job that pays a decent living should be waiting for the young sprout like all the other trades

Is the big franchises or reputable leaders gonna be connecting with the schools?

That’s why I started my own business. All the other Cc/wd businesses in my area offer crappy income.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

because they're not paying anywhere near $50 an hour CDN

..L.T.A.
Drivers are wanted at $28.50 per hour by Canada Post. Plumbers, electricians, make $35 per hour and up depending on experience. Experienced welders and fabricators are easily $40-$50 per hour working in the shipyards, on pipelines, etc. We have a large pipeline locally nearing completion, another up north as well as regular maintenance on these and others. We have been bringing in foreign workers as we can't produce enough ourselves apparently.

Name
Swani
I think it could be a good thing, but I don't think the people in the school should have any ties or association with a major brand or company. Otherwise it would be like our lawmakers in the government that have ties to big pharmaceutical and other major companies that make laws that are only there to help the company and not the people.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
eeyeahbutt, that's in CAD loonies .
with exchange rate, and all the deductions and taxes your gov takes, it's like $10.38 an hour, right?

you guys should petition to become our 51st state..🍁

..L.T.A.
coffee makers and table wipers make around $20 usd an hr here, zero tips, cos.. well.. tipping anyone is stoopid!
They're making less in the bigger centres admittedly, those individuals are special, they've chosen lower quality of living along with lower wages..

Reactions: Cleanworks

Mikey P

Administrator
I think it could be a good thing, but I don't think the people in the school should have any ties or association with a major brand or company. Otherwise it would be like our lawmakers in the government that have ties to big pharmaceutical and other major companies that make laws that are only there to help the company and not the people.
Of course

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom