So Warning or No warning?

Discussion in 'Lets talk Business!' started by Papa John, Dec 26, 2016.

1. steve_64
    steve_64

Back at ya Smarty
  2. Brian H
    Brian H

Name:
    Brian H
    I've fired a few employees over the years. The key for me is to just get it done. Don't look for excuses to put it off. As Justin said, when you think it's time, do it!!

I have never allowed an employees to know if I am eliminating their job. Too many bad things can happen while they put in their final days. If you feel real bad about it, pay a 2 week severance.

Oh and it's ALWAYS been a relief when bad apples are gone!! May be a little tough for a few days, but it's so much better knowing that you are making the company better.
  3. Jim Pemberton
    Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.

Name:
    Jim Pemberton
    I'm sure you've seen this too Brian: A number of employees will approach you and tell you how glad they are that you let the "bad apple" go. The amount of damage such people do to the morale of the company is not often seen at first, as the good ones tend to "soldier on" and not complain.

It seems though that fellow employees usually see the problems before we do.
  4. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

Frank Castle

Name:
    I AM MIGHTY
    The work is tough enough without someone bitching and whining the whole time. That's why I would never work with Marty! :winky:
    Papa Emeritas likes this.
  5. Justin Stockwell
    Justin Stockwell

That was my first marketing slogan.
  6. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
  7. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

Frank Castle

Name:
    I AM MIGHTY
    :biggrin:
  8. Brian H
    Brian H

Name:
    Brian H
    I totally agree Jim!! Usually though it's a comment like" What took you guys so long to fire him?!!"
    Lee Stockwell and Jim Pemberton like this.
  9. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    One of the worst stories I've heard locally was from a guy who while working in the office, had the employee call in because there was a dispute over pricing as he was about the start a job. The boss was maybe in a bad mood or something and thought the employee should have been able to resolve the issue without having to call. So he tells the employee to bring the truck back and by the way you're fired. The employee tells the customer that because of the price dispute, the cleaning is now free. He takes the Hydroforce and sprays everything in the house. Walls, electronics, books, pictures, everything he can see. Puts down the sprayer and walks away, leaving the truck running. Over $10,000 damage.
    dealtimeman and Nate The Great like this.
  10. Jimmy L
    Jimmy L

Name:
    Jimmy L
    I would never work for somebody who would have me as an employee.
  11. Bruce Humphrey
    Bruce Humphrey

Name:
    Bruce
    That would sting just a little
  12. Old Coastie
    Old Coastie

Supportive Member

Name:
    Stephen
    It would also promote a call to the sheriff.
  13. Lee Stockwell
    Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
    Lee Stockwell
    and at least a night in jail here
    Old Coastie likes this.
  14. Papa John
    Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member

Name:
    John Stewart
    An Update on the outcome:

The decision to let this employee go wasn't easy. She had been a valued employee who helped grow my business. But this year it seemed like she started to take her job for granted. Our employment agreement had grown to be a finacial drain due to new goverment regulations and her periodic pay increases.

Everyone gave great advise.. which I ignored-- haha.. do not do what I did and follow the advise given by those who contributed to this topic.

I offered her a new agreement and gave her 5 days to respond--
    She decided it was best that she leave the company. So I out sourced her job to Super Agents by ServiceMonster.

About 3 weeks before she was let go I suspended her for a week for turning off her phone during business hours. I had already hired Super Agents the month before to help with the call volume. During her week of suspension I had hired Super Agents by Service Monster to take all the calls.

Super Agents made many mistakes, but this is totally understandable because there will always be a learning curve when something new is implimented. I was Very pleased with Super Agents high booking rate of 67% on their 1st day On that 1 day I received a 133% ROI for the entire month investment with Super Agents.
    Super Agents also seem able and willing to learn from any "Training opportunities" that may arise.
  15. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    @FredC please put a three "Super Agents" mention cap per post..
  16. jkowalski
    jkowalski

Name:
    Joe Kowalski
    That's great to hear!! Well, about Super Agents anyway. :)
    Bob Pruitt and Mikey P like this.
  17. PrimaDonna
    PrimaDonna

Meggers

Name:
    MB
    Well...I think it's time to pull the trigger on Super Agents for us as well. I have been toying with the idea, but now that the latest hire didn't work out, I think it's the way to go.

I have other office duties I need covered and was hoping for a part time person to do the phones, booking, and other admin tasks. New girl was to start before Xmas and she asked to push it back to after new year since her kids were out of school. Not a problem. Emailed and texted her to nail down the day she wanted to start this week and no reply. Finally heard back from her last evening...apologizing that she "forgot" to let me know she decided not to take the position. She needs full time work and if she works for us part time, then it reduces her unemployment benefits. She'd rather collect and look for full time work. She said she'd be loosing money if she took part time work.

So back to square one....and to get my application in to SM for Super Agents.
    jkowalski likes this.
  18. jkowalski
    jkowalski

Name:
    Joe Kowalski
    We're opening up applications to onboard six new clients. We will be running a social media campaign through the week. We plan to have it up later today. This is an early invitation to Mikey's board people.

If you would like to be considered for the ServiceMonster super agent program, send an email to support@servicemonster.net This service is only available to ServiceMonster users.
    Bob Pruitt and Desk Jockey like this.
  19. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay

Is John making you come along to pre vacuum or are you going to be a full time FPA horn tooter?
  20. CPS Dave
    CPS Dave

Name:
    David Belliveau
    Some great insight, great for small business. Corporate world is a little different. One of the many reasons I started both of my businesses.