T&G....Here's The Deal.....

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Went out to do a test run on grout lines at a car dealership, and didn't have much luck. Contractor had installed the 12" ceramic and didn't seal until 2 months later. So between showroom traffic and dirty mop water, the grout was stained before sealing. They used a water based sealer....clear. I thought I could go out there and shine for this contractor, but the grout just wouldn't clean. used a few different grout presprays, and nothing. Went to the tile dealer and got into an arguement with him. He wanted to sell me a quart of his brand of cleaner for $30. He say's I gotta get down and hand scrub every inch of grout. I tell him I used a grout brush and dwell time, the SX12 at 1500psi, and he say's that ain't good enough. Contractor want's me to use a "steam genny" type machine to "steam" out the grout! I find out that there were 6 other cleaners that gave it a try, with no luck.

Where to go now???? Acid side?? Having contractor actually grind off the top layer??? They don't want to color seal.

Or......walk away???

Mikey P

Administrator
If Oxy Blaster and a wax/finish stripper mix dont do it then use a Cobb's Acid mixed strong.

If that don't do it they have four choices.

Regrout.
Color Seal.
Carpet.
Ignore.

any chance they used a water based topical sealer and it's still dirty underneath?

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Second Mike's suggestion. That combo is as good as it gets. If it is a very large amount of tile and grout try a section with that combo - with scrubbing and w/o so you can see the difference. You may not want to scrub the whole place.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I was going to say color seal. But now I would try scrubbing with 175, enz all boosted with citrus

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Ask the contractor what sealer he used. Then try to give manufacture a call and ask what to strip it with.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
If Oxy Blaster and a wax/finish stripper mix dont do it then use a Cobb's Acid mixed strong.

If that don't do it they have four choices.

Regrout.
Color Seal.
Carpet.
Ignore.

any chance they used a water based topical sealer and it's still dirty underneath?

YES.....it is a water based sealer that was applied to dirty grout.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
RW;

You need to test the 'cleanability" of the grout.

Use the Dynachem Grout Cleaner @ 25% strength,

and see if the original color is revealed.

If not; then there is almost surely a topical coating over the grout.

In that case, the topical coating has to be removed with a solvent-based Seal Remover.

That is a very labor-intensive job.

Larry

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
It's called Aqua Mix Grout Sealer, water based. Sold in tile stores.

That stuff is pretty strong, i am with mikey also.
Floor stripper to start

We always start with floor stripper now in commercial settings with t/g, i just assume someone did something they should not of.
Nothing cheap either johnson or betco.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Custom building products also makes Aqua mix sealer and coating remover and should do the trick

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom