The greenest greenhorn I hope I'll ever see.....

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Cause if you clean 5 houses per day at $70 per house that $350 a day ....$91K a year....which puts you in the top 10%

duh.... :winky:

If you want to know the truth those are not hard figures to hit at $20 a room. After I left my dad I was doing 100k a year blind folded. But that was 6 days a week 5 stops a day and I had the penny saver. And phone books.

I like the free 1 room approach.
Or tell him to ride along with somebody a few days for free for experience.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
That's it, will start the mikeyboard ridalong for suckers born every minute program.

$5k for closest MB member to help said newbie out for a week.

Desk Jockey and Brian H are exempt. 5k isn't enough.

The best part is you get a vacation from your significant other.

Friggin win win.

The bad news is you might be stuck with dumb and dumber for a week.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's it, will start the mikeyboard ridalong for suckers born every minute program.

$5k for closest MB member to help said newbie out for a week.

Desk Jockey and Brian H are exempt. 5k isn't enough.

The best part is you get a vacation from your significant other.

Friggin win win.

The bad news is you might be stuck with dumb and dumber for a week.
You know my wife? :winky:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I started with buying a year old van a CDs with 165 hours + a fancy Kleenrite portable machine.
Not quite all out like this guy but not too different.
Reason was that I needed to know that my equipment was good enough to provide my clients with the best cleaning results. And I started charging high prices off the bat.

I did take carpet & upholstery IICRC classes before and I asked my supplier to pair me with two separate quality cleaners that I can work with for a day. That was it. And I had to hit the road running after that. Worked for me.

I did ask a lot of questions and listened and worked hard and studied. If he has the drive, and perseverance, he'll be fine. And an advantage of starting from scratch, is that you may not have lots of bad habits to unlearn later.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Had a guy who has never even picked up a wand before come in. He quit college and took out a $60,000 loan from Rotovac and bought a whole Rotovac package along with a Chief II.
Day one of the install he sat at my desk and asked me how to run a carpet cleaning biz. :eekk:
And how to clean carpet....and tile....and upholstery.... :eekk:
Final day of install....Ray and I spent 3 hours teaching him how to run his new TM and I then spent another 3 hours teaching him how to clean carpet in our classroom.

I will never ever forget the look on his face when he started pushing that wand. He looked like he wanted to cry! He struggled badly to get a pattern down much less fighting the wand. I told him everything I could possibly tell him about pre-inspection, possible issues, spot removal, you name it.

I fear for this man and his family....he didn't even know about liability insurance! It is like as if I had just opened up a roofing biz...I know absolutely nothing about roofing and would have no business being up on someone's roof. :hopeless: He truly has no business cleaning someone's carpet. I told him to please please please take the classes we offer and he looked at me defiantly....:icon_rolleyes: :angry: :headscratch:

He bought the biggest set up we have! I can say with a certainty that he drove 12 hours home and cried his eyes out the whole way... :eekk: He was afraid to leave TCS when we were all done...I felt so bad for this guy! And his wife and kids :dejection:
He hasn't even started advertising or anything yet!
Someone told him this would be easy!

I don't know whether to respect him for jumping in head first with no knowledge or research or cry for him for jumping in head first with no knowledge or research! He will definitely go down in history as the greenest greenhorn I've ever seen...
He definitely gave me a run for my money on how to provide great customer service and prove myself to Mike! The good news is...I came out of the experience with a gold star. :rockon:

Will was on vacation all last week and I was on my own...I spent a day writing up descriptions for our Maxx line of products as we are getting the online ordering website up and running soon!
Pretty cool week all in all...learning so much about the "retail" aspects and I must say...I am enjoying it!

Please tell me you sold him a glide for his wand. The day I brought my first truckmount home I got about half way through one bedroom in my house and had to sit down and rest. Told my wife I made a mistake. The next day ordered a greenglide and haven't cleaned glideless since then. Luckily I had been on the boards a bit before buying my machine so I knew about glides.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Cause if you clean 5 houses per day at $70 per house that $350 a day ....$91K a year....which puts you in the top 10%

duh.... :winky:
Yeah, but that $91k a year is your gross. Take out your payments on $60k to start, add in your chemistry, insurance, advertising, fuel, and all the rest of those fun bills and you end up making $20-30k per year.

Reactions: SamIam

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
Zee it sounds like by the time he got to tcs all finance had been done through Rotovac, so not much Kellie could do.
I think his equipment was financed through RV and his van through a bank, I'm not real sure.
I could not get an answer out of the guy when I asked him why he chose carpet cleaning but it sounds like he saw a video from Rotovac advertising how you can make lots of money cleaning carpet, tile, upholstery, you name it. Just buy their package with all the accessories and wham bam become rich. He thought it was going to be easy.....
When Ray and I were teaching him how to maintain and run the machine he kept asking us weird questions like "were those rear speakers there already or did you put them in?" :eekk: :hopeless: " what is that thing on my side door?" (It was a door handle.....:headscratch:) Ray and I kept looking at each other like WTF?!
Just a scary situation in all honesty.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
When Ray and I were teaching him how to maintain and run the machine he kept asking us weird questions like "were those rear speakers there already or did you put them in?" :eekk: :hopeless: " what is that thing on my side door?" (It was a door handle.....:headscratch:) Ray and I kept looking at each other like WTF?!
Just a scary situation in all honesty.
but it wasn't Marty...right? Right?

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
He WAS talking to Kellie, by the way.
Hahahahahah!! Right?!
Mike picked him from his hotel in the morning and brought him in and told him about me...I saw the look on his face when he found out I had a business and knew I was in for trouble!
His very first question was "How much should I charge?" :angry: So I asked him what his target market was going to be and what his monthly costs were going to be. And the cost of living in his area... I could see his brain go dead inside at that moment and told him to sit down and get his notebook out lol....I asked him if he had started advertising yet and he looked at me like I was crazy! Then I asked him if he had the proper general liability policy for our industry....oh Lordy! He just had no clue! I know I bombarded him and he did take lots of notes but I had to! My yappy qualities come in handy sometimes Marty!!

Reactions: Desk Jockey

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Yeah, but that $91k a year is your gross. Take out your payments on $60k to start, add in your chemistry, insurance, advertising, fuel, and all the rest of those fun bills and you end up making $20-30k per year.

Your operating expense are high. Need to shop around.

Reactions: dealtimeman

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Sounds like predatory lending?

I had been in business 15 years before I got my first loan through One Degree, and they THOROUGHLY made sure I was capable and or worthy of the 62k loan I took out.

Back
Top Bottom