Today I tossed out everything I thought I knew about wands..

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Ron the AW29 is a 1.5 version of this wand. It's jets strike about an inch further back

Not much of a reason for a side by side.

No it's not!! The AW29 is a totally different wand made by a different manufacturer. The new and the old 802 is the EXACT SAME head just the new has a 2" tube standard and the old it was optional and rarely ordered. The jets are the same, the angles the same. The new has the screw lips that they use on the 12" PMF titanium wand and a set of glides. The 802 and the AW29 are both old standards. Make them 2" tubed and you get better lift and airflow at the wand, add a glide, theirs or our's and you will improve the ergonomics and performance again.

If you want to test sheer angle and it's effectiveness, get a real Greenhorn wand and a stock CMP 14" low profile wand with 2" tube (the base we built the Greenhorn wand on). Stock the wand had straight jets, the Greenhorn angled them. try them each with high, normal and low flow jets, different PSI and with and without glides.

Take care,
Lisa

Mikey P

Administrator
I don't like "shear kits"

I took Greenies mess off my

The Myteemafia sheer design and Joe's are all the same imo.

01, 1.5 and 02 jets put out a mist that deflects off the carpet too much. I prefer 03 or 04 jets that have bigger droplets that pierce the pile and FLUSH

Reactions: SamIam

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I agree with you on the jets. I think the 03's are the sweet spot. That larger water droplet carries more impact and more heat.

Side by side however, angled jets and a glide will out clean and leave a carpet dryer than the straight down jets.

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
I finally took the plunge and tried 5x 03 jets. Absolutely love the cleaning performance now

Having an adjustable shear I like it best from the middle setting to full angled sheer personally

2014-07-17165505.jpg

Mikey P

Administrator
I agree with you on the jets. I think the 03's are the sweet spot. That larger water droplet carries more impact and more heat.

Side by side however, angled jets and a glide will out clean and leave a carpet dryer than the straight down jets.

Ron,

I run 6008 blowers.

I don't need to waste time being hypothetical with these petty concerns.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I like My PC Ti it has a slight sheer to it, I've have used several sheer kits PC quad and even the rotary dry master is using a sheering action to clean.

I wasn't happy with either!

I think if you want faster dry times go with more sheer your not flushing better the water is pulled back out so fast, that can leave soil.

Increasing flow on the sheer can help but at what cost using 3x the water?

Thats why people say remove the restrictor on the drimaster rotary and increase the PSI, you'll fill your waste tank after 3 rooms but who cares.

A 6 flow quad without sheer with a slotted glide or without a glide will lift the pile

and clean great.

I do like the sheer on the zipper but the jets leave distortion on a thick pile.

probably why its more of a commercial tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
It's almost as fun as using the ss clear uph tool lol.
Ron, This wand was originally a Venus. Got the new vt head which comes this way now. I did have the shear kit on the previous head as well.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
One other cleaning fact we have noticed in our "wand testing" is that all the wands we have tested cleaned better and developed more vacuum . . .

when they were pushed forward . . .

compared to being pulled backwards.

We even put 10 lb. weights on the wand heads . . .

and applied only horizontal force in the testing.

Larry

SamIam

Name
sam miller
On these test is there a lift gauge inline while operating? Make a video and post it with testing equipment you use Larry!

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I would agree that the vac sucks down more during the forward stroke, unfortunately the water is only being recovered during the back stroke. You can feel the difference between pushing forward and pulling back.
A dry vacuum pulls in more during the forward stroke but then the vac port is basically after the brush whereas with a wand the vac is before the water jets.

Almost any wand will work great with your 6008 blower Mike. But does it really work "better"?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
so in your testing the carpet looked cleaner as the wands moved away from the jets?

really?

The testing was done with a 4 decimal vac gauge at the WAND while cleaning stroke was being made.View attachment 5192

on both level loop and cut pile carpet styles.

And YES the carpet looked cleaner with the forward pass.

It's easy enough for anybody to try on a dirty section of carpet, although you have to judge the results from both directions.

Larry

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
If I push the wand forward, jet on, yes the carpet is going to look cleaner...than the carpet I'm cleaning, but its going to be soaked!
go a foot over
If I PULL the wand, jet on, the carpet is going to look more cleaner and it will be drier, esp if its a optiminally slow pass. I've done this on berber and cut pile.

I understand Mike. The reason that new wand works is the same reason that if I want to flush out a deep spot or deep soil on a carpet, esp on berber, I reach for my stair tool. It blasts the water straight down and then I vacuum it up. Its the same reason I liked using my PMF hand tool (before I drove over it) to flush a spot. That flooding action tends to bring up the loose soil the vacuum didn't get or even to flush out deeper pet urine. Often thought of making a smaller tool to clean the whole room that way. And you guys think I'm slow now! Try cleaning a whole room with a 7-8in tool.
So, are we tweaking old tech and taking a step back, or forward?

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
One other cleaning fact we have noticed in our "wand testing" is that all the wands we have tested cleaned better and developed more vacuum . . .

when they were pushed forward . . .

compared to being pulled backwards.

We even put 10 lb. weights on the wand heads . . .

and applied only horizontal force in the testing.

Larry

Soooooooo....if it is better on the forward, then can we expect a new design wand that will have the manifold and jets positioned in front of the vac slots? Will it have the head of the wand somewhat tilted forward (away from the tech) to kind of tent over the jets/manifold? Or would the head cover the jets all the way down to carpet level to contain spray pattern and temperature?

I have an idea of how that wand could look.

Last edited:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
How about jets in the front for forward stroke and back for return stroke?

Should be easy with GPS location tracking and micro technology.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
We have used a wand like that over 10 years ago...it head jets on the front and jets in the normal spot.

It had a valve on the left hand handle to control the front jets and a regular setup for the regular jets.

The wand was a based on a aw29 with 1.5 tube.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
We have used a wand like that over 10 years ago...it head jets on the front and jets in the normal spot.

It had a valve on the left hand handle to control the front jets and a regular setup for the regular jets.

The wand was a based on a aw29 with 1.5 tube.

Was it made by that crazy guy that used to work for CCE in San Diego?

He had made a few of them.

Take care,
Lisa

Mikey P

Administrator
Well for whatever reason none of you goofs wanted to buy one at a discount.

So now I'm going to give a very limited edition version away for FREE to Supportive Members

A steam retaining back plate and The Vacuum engraved on the front make this a MB loyalists dream wand.

http://mikeysboard.com/forum/raffles.php?do=raffle&id=77

300 points per entry.

If you don't have enough points to enter due to the other kick ass raffles we've been having I'm going to set up Credit earning contest.
For every mention you make on Facebook about anything to do with MB I'll give you 300 credits per post. Just provide me with a screen shot. If you get kicked off the Carpet Cleaners page for obnoxiousness, I''l triple the reward!

Name
Lee Stockwell
No.

Zippers have jets inside between two sets of vac slots. If I remember correctly.

This wand I'm talking about had jets in front of the vac slot and behind the vac slot. 1 regular aw29 vac slot.
Yes I understand that. My point is that the Zipper may take advantage of the cited effect of "pushing" the slot forward and back, versus the typical "pull" emphasis of a wand.

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
Zipper's jets angled forward with a forward cleaning stroke kicks butt

[video=youtube;ritsiXWUeiE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ritsiXWUeiE&list=UU7DxhmAjkiUsaLp9zyygeqA[/video]

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Back
Top Bottom