Wand vs. Rotary Extractor vs. Zipper vs. Your Back

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I used a stainless wand that was four inches longer than normal when I did loads of commercial work. It was heavier too, which actually made it easier to use than a lighweight that would hop on some types of carpet. It might have been a pain to use in residential cleaning or by a shorter guy, but it was perfect for me.

The biggest issue by far is that few use a wand properly, and even fewer learn to use both hands. Switching hands is like taking a break, and will even up the muscles on both sides of your back.

The Powerglide was a wheels down machine. Not sure why production was stopped on it, maybe it was ahead of its time. ???
Or maybe it was a blended copy of the Rotovac and RX-20, and so violated the inventor's patents, and so cost Prochem a lot of money in a patent infringement lawsuit. I believe yours cost Prochem even more, as every one they couldn't buy back carried an extra financial penalty. If they'd just agreed to pay the inventor a fee for making their version you might still see Powerglides today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Damon
Yes, much cleaner. The HOSS, RV, etc. look awesome.

I either post vac or rake VLM. How do most of you handle the swirls with RE's? I'm assuming you either wand them out or rake them? Does this add a significant amount of time as opposed to straight wanding?

I'm kind of liking the Zip because as Cap' America had mentioned, there is no post wanding or rake required. This is a big benefit given my situation. I'm guessing it would help with overall job times as well?

There is definitely some torque to the Rotovac, by the end of the day you feel like you've gotten a workout. However its still not the work out you'd have slinging a scrub wand and the finished product is much cleaner also.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It is heavy but it isn't a swing type machine, more of a lawn mower back and forth so I would think it would be less awkward???

Or maybe it was a blended copy of the Rotovac and RX-20, and so violated the inventor's patents, and so cost prochem
link1.gif
a lot of money in a patent infringement lawsuit. I believe yours cost Prochem even more, as every one they couldn't buy back carried an extra financial penalty. If they'd just agreed to pay the inventor a fee for making their version you might still see Powerglides today.

We still have 5 of them. :lol:

Powerglidecutout_zpsf71b4d4e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
Andy McFadden
Every one is built different, as for me , the rotovac is the easiest machine I ever used. I think if you have back issues that would be your 1 st choice of all the power wands because it is so light weight.

A proper fitted wand for your height with a glide and good technique will also be easy for you, much more so then hauling in the orbot on each job.

And the bottom line , after 2 weeks of TM / rotovac cleaning you will cry in shame and embarrassment over all those years you thought you were doing a good job with VLM Only./

Name
Damon
Hi, Andy.

Sounds like you're singing the same song.

Hope you're doing well!

Every one is built different, as for me , the rotovac is the easiest machine I ever used. I think if you have back issues that would be your 1 st choice of all the power wands because it is so light weight.

A proper fitted wand for your height with a glide and good technique will also be easy for you, much more so then hauling in the orbot on each job.

And the bottom line , after 2 weeks of TM / rotovac cleaning you will cry in shame and embarrassment over all those years you thought you were doing a good job with VLM Only./

Name
Nate W.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Agreed.

Would you happen to know what the min blower size is for the Zip? I've seen it at the show and the tool is amazing, but it's always hooked up to an A/T.

Ya I have a 405 with a 47 blower wasn't as impressed.

I see the videos of one pass forward and back.

I believe a bigger blower and more heat is key to how well and fast a zipper can go.

Less heat less vacuum you go a little slower.

Reactions: thecleaningdude
Name
Damon
Good info, thanks!

Ya I have a 405 with a 47 blower wasn't as impressed.

I see the videos of one pass forward and back.

I believe a bigger blower and more heat is key to how well and fast a zipper can go.

Less heat less vacuum you go a little slower.

Name
Marcus
I would not go less than a 4.5 blower with a 30-32 hp engine
4.7 blower with a 35-40 hp engine would be better
Also only kero or propane heat as the zipper will not need to be triggered...especially on commercial
More heat more dry time...more vacuum more dry time
Zipper also has about 20-40 percent better dry time than a wand

Name
Damon
Thanks.

I like the 370SS a lot, but this falls way short based on your suggestions....

I would not go less than a 4.5 blower with a 30-32 hp engine
4.7 blower with a 35-40 hp engine would be better
Also only kero or propane heat as the zipper will not need to be triggered...especially on commercial
More heat more dry time...more vacuum more dry time
Zipper also has about 20-40 percent better dry time than a wand

Name
Marcus
If you can find a truckmount with large engine and blower
You can add your own heater box and use an electric pump...it would save money...
Both my vans have kero heat and electric pump
I will try to send some picks this week of my astro van with the Tweeked namco
If you are interested
Cap

Name
Marcus
Also larger engine and blower with kero heat and zipper
Will be less labor and in most cases no dry strokes as the zipper already does a dry stroke as you are cleaning
I get 1-3 hours dry times in all commercial
And 2-4 hour dry time at homes depending on dry strokes all with a 4.5 blower

Name
Andy McFadden
you don't need a 30 HP , 45 - 47 blower,

the 370 or similar spec unit will be plenty of power for you. I have a 36 blower and a #4 blower ,
no noticeable difference in dry times at all (for the typical 100 - 125 ft hose runs. )

en=ven a 33 blower will put you miles ahead of where you are now. and would do fine for residential 100 ft hose runs.

Captain, I would be interested in seeing your set up, Sounds a lot like what I have . I call it the hillbilly TM, lol

Name
Marcus
Yea any truckmount is better than a portable,but
For Damon he needs lees labor doe his back...
With a 4.5-4.7 blower few if any dry strokes especially with zipper
And if he goes with the hillbilly truckmount he could get a full blown set up for nearly half price
Truckmount parts listed on my namco:
33-35hp generac engine: 2000-2200$
4.5-4.7 blower tuthill: 1600-1800$
Northern tool kero heater: 1500$
Pump: electric 100$- cat pump-600$
Needs frame, muffler silencers tank hoses....... And install
So there it is - hillbilly truckmount. Easy to work on and replace parts

Name
Marcus
Damon what is your price budget...
You a are limited on what can go in your van.....
I am just familiar with the namco and know it will fit in a astro van...and it is easy to work on...belt driven

Name
Damon
Yes, you're right. it would most likely be big and a fine compliment to what I'm doing now. However, I'd like to use a Zipper. I think Cap is referring to a bigger machine specifically for that tool.

you don't need a 30 HP , 45 - 47 blower,

the 370 or similar spec unit will be plenty of power for you. I have a 36 blower and a #4 blower ,
no noticeable difference in dry times at all (for the typical 100 - 125 ft hose runs. )

en=ven a 33 blower will put you miles ahead of where you are now. and would do fine for residential 100 ft hose runs.

Captain, I would be interested in seeing your set up, Sounds a lot like what I have . I call it the hillbilly TM, lol

Name
Damon
As Doc mentioned, I am a terrible mechanic. Aside from that, $25k used set-up or $45k financed. Back, etc. is still in issue in all of this, so who knows.

Appreciate the feedback from everyone so far!

Damon what is your price budget...
You a are limited on what can go in your van.....
I am just familiar with the namco and know it will fit in a astro van...and it is easy to work on...belt driven

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Nothing wrong with being a terrible mechanic as long as you know a great mechanic. :biggrin:
I'm a carpet cleaner, not a mechanic and I make more cleaning than I have ever have saved turning a wrench.

We have many very talented mechanics here that are excellent at diagnosis and repair. I wish I was one of them but I'm not, so I do what I do best and that's make money with the machine. When it breaks down I send it to someone who can get it back up and going fast so I can get it back out there making money. :icon_cool:

Name
Andy McFadden
I think a rotovac would fit you better then a zipper, you do primarily residential right? a rotovac 360 and a # 3 blower will destroy any residential filth you come in contact with. anything bigger then that is a bonus , not a necessity.

I suspect you would still be using VLM on the large commercial jobs, so the ability to run 300-400 ft of hose is not needed.

For sure if you got the money to drop,,, go as big as you can, but don't think you cant be happy with something smaller,

A 370 or similar unit, would be kicking butt and taking names all day for you.

Bill Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Bruders
Ok I very rarely do this but..... I must interrupt this regular scheduled programming for an important announcement

Go with a 370 and a HOSS 700 both are best in class and they can handle both residential and commercial cleaning all day and night if needed. We offer awesome financing on package deals as well.

Name
Marcus
Both my naamco's have been worked on by local mechanics.....
Heater box worked on by hotsy pressure washer guys...
Installed both engines by a muffler shop and or lawn mower shop......
Belts are easy to replace....
If you buy used it has to be able to work on by local mechanics...no frill machine
Also if you buy new you have to have the manufacturer close to work on it...
Some of these machines can be very complicated while others are easy to work on....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom