Water blowing out exhaust of Apex

J

JS41035

If I leave the dump valve open and clean with it open on the 870,and it will blow waste water out the exhaust. The only other scenario that I’ve ever seen waste water blowing out of the exhaust is when the tank is full and the shut off float switch is not functioning properly.
I would check the following
1. Make sure both waste tank gaskets are sealing properly. Please post a picture of the current filter side lid gasket.
2. Make sure your dump valve is shut.
3. Remove all three access points. Filter basket lid,blower filter side lid and center waste lid panel. Clean the waste tank thoroughly.
Try those things first.
8000 hours on any truck mount is amazing. You obviously have taken good care of it or it would never last that long. Troubleshooting is frustrating but doing things out of order usually just keeps your from finding the problem and can lead you in the wrong direction. 90 percent of the time it is something simple and stupid that I missed.
My guess is that there is something simple that you are missing. The higher operating rpm justmade the problem more evident. Similar to the way a 100 degree summer day exposes a problem with your radiator or cooling system.

James N

Name
James Niwinski
If I leave the dump valve open and clean with it open on the 870,and it will blow waste water out the exhaust. The only other scenario that I’ve ever seen waste water blowing out of the exhaust is when the tank is full and the shut off float switch is not functioning properly.
1. Make sure both waste tank gaskets are sealing properly. Please post a picture of the current filter side lid gasket.
3. Remove all three access points. Filter basket lid,blower filter side lid and center waste lid panel. Clean the waste tank thoroughly.
Try those things first.
8000 hours on any truck mount is amazing. You obviously have taken good care of it or it would never last that long. Troubleshooting is frustrating but doing things out of order usually just keeps your from finding the problem and can lead you in the wrong direction. 90 percent of the time it is something simple and stupid that I missed.
My guess is that there is something simple that you are missing. The higher operating rpm justmade the problem more evident. Similar to the way a 100 degree summer day exposes a problem with your radiator or cooling system.
Thanks Justin for your input. I have taken care of the machine but I have to admit I haven’t given as much attention to the recovery tank. I clean my filters daily but the tank itself I haven’t cleaned out many times. I will start there stated my others on the forum. Been running around today will clean the tank and baffles tomorrow and post what I found out. Thanks again man

Reactions: JS41035

James N

Name
James Niwinski
Try those things first.
So I cleaned the waste tank out there was lots of sludge in there. Made sure all the holes in the baffles were clear. Access panel seal was replaced. I replaced the others seals in the summer. I did notice my line from the thermal valve were it connects to my tank had a crack where the fitting was wielded. I noticed it when I was washing out that side of the tank. I plugged the hole with a bolt and nut and rubber washer and rerouted my thermal valve line to my fresh water tank. Wanted to do that anyway. I ran the machine and it seemed fine but it doesn’t start sucking water through the blower until I’ve been cleaning for about an hour. Would a small crack in the tank cause the issue of the water getting sucked into the blower ?

Name
Lee Stockwell
So I cleaned the waste tank out there was lots of sludge in there. Made sure all the holes in the baffles were clear. Access panel seal was replaced. I replaced the others seals in the summer. I did notice my line from the thermal valve were it connects to my tank had a crack where the fitting was wielded. I noticed it when I was washing out that side of the tank. I plugged the hole with a bolt and nut and rubber washer and rerouted my thermal valve line to my fresh water tank. Wanted to do that anyway. I ran the machine and it seemed fine but it doesn’t start sucking water through the blower until I’ve been cleaning for about an hour. Would a small crack in the tank cause the issue of the water getting sucked into the blower ?
A crack that lets air in below the waterline of your tank will cause problems.

Test it today with a garden hose to fill above that line. It will likely need some detergent to see the effect clearly.

There are several possible fixes.

James N

Name
James Niwinski
A crack that lets air in below the waterline of your tank will cause problems.

Test it today with a garden hose to fill above that line. It will likely need some detergent to see the effect clearly.

There are several possible fixes.
Crack was where the water dumps when my thermal valve opens. Its above the lint basket filter. I plugged the hole with a bolt nut and rubber seal.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Crack was where the water dumps when my thermal valve opens. Its above the lint basket filter. I plugged the hole with a bolt nut and rubber seal.
Try what Lee is suggesting. Partially fill the waste tank with a garden hose and run the unit. Keep adding water until you either see water coming out of the exhaust or the waste tank shuts the unit off. I would fill the waste tank 1/3 full to start, then just put the garden hose in the vacuum hose and see what happens.

Reactions: James N

James N

Name
James Niwinski
Try what Lee is suggesting. Partially fill the waste tank with a garden hose and run the unit. Keep adding water until you either see water coming out of the exhaust or the waste tank shuts the unit off. I would fill the waste tank 1/3 full to start, then just put the garden hose in the vacuum hose and see what happens.
Filled it up partial ran it while garden hose was in vacuum port and it auto shut off did it’s job. Did not have any water come out through exhaust. I checked the blower filter and ledge where blower filter slides in and there was a little water pooled there. Is that to be expected?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Filled it up partial ran it while garden hose was in vacuum port and it auto shut off did it’s job. Did not have any water come out through exhaust. I checked the blower filter and ledge where blower filter slides in and there was a little water pooled there. Is that to be expected?
Probably shouldn't have any water pooling anywhere except in the tank itself. If too much water is pooling close to the blower filter, eventually it will get sucked through. While your tank is full, you want to check for leaks. If you see any water in your van, you may have a leak in your waste tank. That may cause enough turbulence to cause water to come through the exhaust.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Also, check where the water comes into your tank. On the inside of the tank you probably have an elbow directing the incoming water straight down. Make sure it is in place and directed properly.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

James N

Name
James Niwinski
James did you get it fixed?
Yes since I’ve cleaned and plugged a hole in the waste tank it hasn’t been sucking water through my blower. Im only running it at 2200 rpm I can’t get it tuned into 2400rpm full throttle and 900 idle. When I turn it up to 2400 the low idle only goes down to 1200. I’m gonna stop by a friends small engine shop tomorrow to see what I can do. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Cleanworks

James N

Name
James Niwinski
unless you're building a safe....

with baffles, I'm guessing an 11ga stainless tank will weigh 300-350 pounds???

Andy asked earlier....How much for a direct fit new OEM tank?

..L.T.A.
Ha ha. Its actually would be 323lbs. 14ga is 202lbs. I have an older prochem 2009. I called to price it they don’t make my tank anymore anything that they offer they might have to modify to for my machine. He said close to $4000 aluminum. I’m getting a SS made for around same price. Cheaper with 14ga.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Mine is 11 gauge, combo solution recovery tank.

My dad and I made it in 1984 on a Saturday afternoon. I sheared and ran the brake, he did the plasma and mig.

3 sheets 4x10 stainless was about $500 then...a bit more now.

James N

Name
James Niwinski
Mine is 11 gauge, combo solution recovery tank.

My dad and I made it in 1984 on a Saturday afternoon. I sheared and ran the brake, he did the plasma and mig.

3 sheets 4x10 stainless was about $500 then...a bit more now.
I’m gonna be making 100gal 2 sheets for $600 for the 14ga. It’s $850 for 11ga. Not sure I want that much extra weight with 11ga. And I have limited space so I have to make pretty much to the same specs as my old tank.

Mikey P

Administrator
relax James
we're all trying to help you.

running your TM for NINE years on low and not knowing til now does seem a bit odd for someone that "knows their TM"

so simmer down.

does anyone know if Kieth does any of the faqbook groups?
Used to be a member here til he got dismayed and left .
He's the Peak guy and knows them in and out

..L.T.A.

No he doesnt

J

JS41035

Ha ha. Its actually would be 323lbs. 14ga is 202lbs. I have an older prochem 2009. I called to price it they don’t make my tank anymore anything that they offer they might have to modify to for my machine. He said close to $4000 aluminum. I’m getting a SS made for around same price. Cheaper with 14ga.
So 14 gauge will definitely need a lot of baffles. And the thicker stainless makes fab a bit easier in my opinion.
But honestly , you have a machine with 8000 hours. Is it honestly worth putting 4000 into the waste tank? That’s money that you won’t get back. I would pull that aluminum tank. Pressure wash it out. Have the cracks welded. Maybe even weld a new 1/4 piece on the bottom if it is corroded. Couple hundred bucks tops. That fix will likely last several thousand hours more, or probably the remainder of the life of the TM.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
So 14 gauge will definitely need a lot of baffles. And the thicker stainless makes fab a bit easier in my opinion.
But honestly , you have a machine with 8000 hours. Is it honestly worth putting 4000 into the waste tank? That’s money that you won’t get back. I would pull that aluminum tank. Pressure wash it out. Have the cracks welded. Maybe even weld a new 1/4 piece on the bottom if it is corroded. Couple hundred bucks tops. That fix will likely last several thousand hours more, or probably the remainder of the life of the TM.
I did that to mine. 34 years before the first leak. Probably good for another 34.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
if you do go the repair route, while your in there scrape down to the metal and pour flex seal on the bottom and up the wall 6 inches. You will never have a problem with the waste tank again - ever.

TIP If your buying a new TM, do the same.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Back
Top Bottom