Welcome $1KaDay!

Mikey P

Administrator
I've seen your name on other forums and by the little I've read, could tell you are a hell raiser.

It's about time you logged on "Satan's Board." :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: hey Marty, blow me :shock:

If you don't mind, please tell us a bit about yourself cause you find most here don't frequent other boards.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Thanks for scaring him off Mike.

All kidding aside,Welcome aboard!!

(Don't take this place or the posters too seriously)

Kipp

Name
kip
I'll give you the condensed version of my working life...

Started out at 18 with a pizza franchise as a delivery driver, then asst., then store manager, then director of ops, then opened my first franchise at age 23...ending up owning two stores.

Sold out and went into sales at Beaudry RV, then asst., then sales manager, then national sales manager, then GM of the Phoenix dealership at age 32 (had over 150 employees working for me and my monthly nut to break even was 1.5 million, ouch)...2007 came and market crashed lost my $350K job 3 house 6 cars chopper boats etc etc etc...living like a dumba$$ I spent every dollar I made

sooooo..there I was realizing that the end was near, my 401K was down to about $12k...I was driving a cab just to try to feed my family and pay the mortgage on a small house we bought (yes I managed to finagle a home purchase while short selling 3 homes...took some creative financing)

I knew a friend who had been in the CC biz and I thought that the service business might be good to be in even during a recession. I bought a 1999 van with a bane clene system. Took it down to the local supplier and asked how to use it...after they were done laughing at me they suggested I get something else...I ended up with a old Prochem 100A and sold the bane system.

Went to work teaching myself as I went how to clean carpet and tile. I ended up doing $178K my first year then $235K my second year, in that time I upgraded my TM 4 times, ended up with a Prochem Everest...during my third year I was so busy I decided I wanted to sell off the business I was getting from the other side of town...since I was just referring out most the work for free anyway.

An investment group who owned alot of different businesses was looking to buy up smaller CC businesses to start their own CC business contacted me. After seeing the amount of business that I had coming in off my websites and customer base they made me a cash offer I could not refuse. It changed my life...I now own my home, cars and two other business free and clear. I live debt free and am so much happier than when I was a stress case as a GM pulling down $350K.

I am not the best carpet cleaner in the world. But I have a pretty good head on my shoulders when it comes to building a business. I am a master of how the mind works, sales, marketing, etc Beaudry RV spent 10 of thousands of dollars on me in training, so that was one good thing I got out of that.

I come accross as pretty much a jacka$$ on these forums, but it's just in fun...I am not even in the CC biz right now but still like hanging out on the boards...my non-compete is up next year so I am already planning to get back in the game then....

Wow, this turned out alot longer than I thought...anyway that's my story

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
WOW. quite a bit of history and achievements crammed into a few years there.

Sounds like you'll be a good fit here so look forward to your input.

I'm sure your experience would be of value in the MLM room.

Buckle up, grab the popcorn, its a cray place, there's no where else like it... but above all, enjoy the ride.

John

Kipp

Name
kip
Mikey P said:
hell of a story, I must say.

So how did you find a $178k worth of customers in that 1st year?

You guys won't believe it but I did it off Craigslist, website, and repeat and referral business...that's it

Kipp

Name
kip
To be a little more specific my business model evolved very quickly into using carpet cleaning jobs to find color sealing jobs.

So I ran aggressive cleaning coupons, upsold pet treatments etc. to get my ticket up...but I tried to land and tile cleaning job and what I was really after was color sealing...I usually got 6-8 a month, but those jobs were $800-$1200 average so they usually accounted for about 35-50% of my monthly income.

Did natural stone cleaning, sealing and polishing as well, not to much of it though...my biggest job was a $17K travertine strip, clean, polish and colorseal...it was only 1800 sq/ft of tile I couldn't believe they took my bid. Did it in 4 days...

I was 99.9% residential

I was definitely a high volume cleaner, I almost did 1200 jobs in my second year...so lot's of little 3 & 5 room specials but I also turned some of those into nice big jobs. The way I looked at it was a "paid" estimate for a nice big T&G job.

Not a 12 step cleaner, but I had a lot of happy repeat customers, I was pouring sweat all day...and I loved every minute of it. Hard to believe but I loved cleaning people's sh1ty carpet more than being a GM at a RV dealership.

F

FB7777

$10 a foot for a travertine clean and color job thats awesome

Do you have a marketing package to show others how to land lucrative jobs like this ?

Mikey P

Administrator
So I assume you resemble the typical RV/car salesman IE:slightly overweight white guy with a million dollar smile...

Do you find your looks along with your sales ability to be a huge part in gaining trust of the home owners?
Did you have a helper or techs?

Would you hire people that did not come from your mold?

Kipp

Name
kip
dc klaatu said:
please allow me:

BULLSHIT!

thank you!

Maybe you should learn a little more about a guy...and ask a few more questions before passing judgement douchebag

Kipp

Name
kip
Mikey P said:
So I assume you resemble the typical RV/car salesman IE:slightly overweight white guy with a million dollar smile...

Do you find your looks along with your sales ability to be a huge part in gaining trust of the home owners?
Did you have a helper or techs?

Would you hire people that did not come from your mold?

Actually no...I am not your typical outgoing conversation starting sales guy. When I got in the RV biz I really had to work at that.

But my selling style has always been a soft sell. I have a knack for getting people to trust me very quickly, which allowed me to get a lot of add on sales

I will post some threads on selling here... I think people look at sales as a bad word and I guarantee most of you that read I was a salesperson formulated an image about me just based on that

I actually prefer a blank slate when hiring people...even in the sales industry.

I didn't have employees...I did get some help on big jobs.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Maybe you should learn a little more about a guy...and ask a few more questions before passing judgement douchebag
Wow here 5-minutes and you've already pegged Bawb. :p

Bawb comes off as a Jackass too.......wait if you are a Jackass, can you still come off as one? :p

Never mind. :mrgreen:

P.S. Actually Bawb is a good guy. 8)

Kipp

Name
kip
Fred Boyle said:
$10 a foot for a travertine clean and color job thats awesome

Do you have a marketing package to show others how to land lucrative jobs like this ?

That price was a unique job... I was doing a tile clean in a house and some people driving by some my wrap. They popped their head in the door and asked for an estimate.

When I went to look at the job it was a nightmare. It had damage, topical sealer pealing up, and the grout was stained bad.

One of those jobs your not sure if you want. I did an estimate to strip the sealer, reseal, and do some repairs. That was still over $5k so I decided to do two more scenarios that were much more expensive just to make my estimate look so high.

Wouldn't you know it they picked the most expensive option ...

I had a handful of huge jobs each year that really boosted my sales. I contribute that to my philosophy of presenting 100% of my services 100% of the time.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
$1KaDay said:
I have a pretty good head on my shoulders when it comes to building a business. I am a master of how the mind works, sales, marketing, etc
This is something we (I) need more of here.

$1KaDay said:
I am not your typical outgoing conversation starting sales guy. When I got in the RV biz I really had to work at that.

But my selling style has always been a soft sell. I have a knack for getting people to trust me very quickly, which allowed me to get a lot of add on sales

I will post some threads on selling here... I think people look at sales as a bad word and I guarantee most of you that read I was a salesperson formulated an image about me just based on that
Ideas of how to build techniques to be more proficient and comfortable talking "sales and up selling" interests me a lot.

$1KaDay said:
I contribute that to my philosophy of presenting 100% of my services 100% of the time.
I think a lot of guys leave a lot of money on the table so to speak, because of being uncomfortable asking for the sale, myself included.

I love Mikeysboard and have learned a lot here. However, you'll find a large group of technical minded guys but only a handful of businessmen i.e.; guys who know or are really good at sales, marketing etc. I fall into the technical category but really want to learn the sales side.

There are the usual (daily, weekly) same old tired arguments about "what's the best prespray or emulsifier, do acid rinses work?, fuel fired systems vs heat exchanger, what's the best wand to use?, pre-vac vs no pre-vac, who's got the quickest dry time, porty vs truckmount, a myriad of debating on how much residue is a product leaving behind, does protector work?, are you stealing money if you sell protector?, green products vs traditional, wand vs rotary, box truck vs van, room price vs square foot. Not nearly enough business building info through sales..

Brian R. has done a good job with the Make more money room and you'll probably spend a lot of time asking questions or leaving comments there. I find it has a lot of web related info or how to re-create the perfect flier, door hanger. But not how to go out and sell face to face, how to ask questions, find a prospects hot buttons and use that info to close a sale, etc.

I look forward to hearing more about how you've built your business and more advice you can give on sales, sales techniques or training you've learned, hopefully to help me grow my business.

Welcome!!!
Bill Morgan

Reactions: Chris A

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Sounds good.

We need more sales threads here since most have became MLM crap.

THis is after all, a sales and service business.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Welcome.

If there is one thing you need to know it's this.

The more information you give out about yourself on this board, the bigger a target you build.

So, govern yourself accordingly.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
$1KaDay said:
I had a handful of huge jobs each year that really boosted my sales. I contribute that to my philosophy of presenting 100% of my services 100% of the time.
Cleaners on here are way too busy figuring out why customers won't pay top dollar to follow this strategy. If they would just try it they would be amazed at how much people are willing to spend. But then someone might call them that dreaded name: a "salesman"!

Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS We always gave the customer the OPPORTUNITY to spend more with us. It was amazing how many (including some from apparently humble circumstances) would. As a wise mentor told me years ago, "Steve, people can't buy more from you if they don't know what you have to offer."

Mikey P

Administrator
Marty said:
Welcome.

If there is one thing you need to know it's this.

The more information you give out about yourself on this board, the bigger a target you build.

So, govern yourself accordingly.
I wish you had followed your own advice cause knowing you as well as I do now I find it hard to urinate standing up with out pooping my pants now..

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
This is an interesting thread. His job average was $195. doing about 4 jobs a day. Totally doable.

Not easy but doable. I do have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Who answered your phones?
2. Did you design your own website
3. Did you do your own craiglist ads or hire a posting company?
4. What software did you use to track your customers?

What company did you get to buy your business (less than 2 years old)v in the middle of the worse economy our industry has seen in 100 years? Please enlighten us?

Did you receive more than the cost of your equipment? The real value in residential companies are the proven repeat customers.
I can't imagne you got much for it being that the average buying cycle of a cost sensitive residential customer is 18-24 months at best? Did you?

randy

Name
Randy
Cole you didn't read the thread very well as he already answered that.

An investment group bought his craigslist driven company after a couple of years. :roll:
Probably because they wanted his system since he did $178,000 his first year and $225,000 the second with only part time help on big jobs.

Despite what some would have us believe carpet cleaning businesses haven't been selling for years, for the most part they liquidate. I'm part of an investment group that has bought outright or purchased the assets of 1/2 dozen businesses since this recession started. We don't even look at service businesses. Having attended 60 plus bankruptcy /business auctions and bid on over 75 deals I can tell you that most off the times service businesses sell for liquidation value, even when they are currently operating. The market will come back for service businesses but it's not there now. People are looking for hard assets and established franchises or multi-unit operations that have franchise potential.

If $1kaDay wants to post the name of the investment group that he claims acquired his firm I can look them up, ad frankly it's a small universe so we have probably come across them, if they exist.
I'm betting the whole story is 98% bullshit.

In over 20 years I have never met anyone that did $178,000 their first year, as an owner operator. That alone flags the post.

Kipp

Name
kip
gregcole said:
This is an interesting thread. His job average was $195. doing about 4 jobs a day. Totally doable.

Not easy but doable. I do have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Who answered your phones?
2. Did you design your own website
3. Did you do your own craiglist ads or hire a posting company?
4. What software did you use to track your customers?

What company did you get to buy your business (less than 2 years old)v in the middle of the worse economy our industry has seen in 100 years? Please enlighten us?

Did you receive more than the cost of your equipment? The real value in residential companies are the proven repeat customers.
I can't imagne you got much for it being that the average buying cycle of a cost sensitive residential customer is 18-24 months at best? Did you?

1. I answered every call, blue parrot head set allowed me to take calls will working and customer could not hear anything background noise on the other end. I utilized a combination of apps, Agendus, invoice to go, and google business apps to allow me to book and sync jobs between my phone, ipad, and computer

2. Yes I did all my own website work, I actually all the internet work for a RV dealership a friend of my bought here in Phoenix (former CEO of Beaudry RV) the site is RVArizona.net

3. For the first year plus my wife posted my on CL, after CL cracked down on accounts and it got to difficult to keep the ads live I went to a posting company...towards the end of my second year I wasn't even using CL that much my websites were pulling 6-10 calls a day so I was doing just fine with that.

4. Along with the apps mentioned on #2 I also had an online scheduler on my websites that allowed customers to book their entire appointment on line. The admin side of the scheduler allowed me to input my services and estimated time for each service. As the added services it blocked off more time and would only show available appointment times that would allow for the length of a job. I actually got 2-3 of these a week.

Clean Choice bought me out, I actually wasn't looking to sell. I was selling off my west side business and the contacted me. After talking, reviewing my P&L statements, and seeing the traffic my website generated they wanted to buy me out entirely. I really didn't want to sell because it was good money and I had worked really hard to build it. But how often do you get a six figure cash offer for a single operator business? I know it's hard to believe and to be honest I felt like I was in a dream during the whole transaction...I kept waiting for the call where they decided to back out...but they went through with it.

They didn't buy me out for my customer base, while I had well over 2000 customers, they bought me out for my websites...that's what they told me anyway.

As soon as they bought me they split my work load into to full time techs...I was working my a$$ off to keep up...

Your pretty much right on, on my average ticket I think it was $208...I did average 5 plus a day because I did take a couple vacations throughout the year.

I found a niche that worked...I did all the sh1t work no of you want anyway but I didn't let limiting beliefs hold me back from trying to sell big ticket jobs to price shoppers, CL callers, etc.

I can remember several big home runs I had converting little carpet jobs into big sells...don't get me wrong I swung and missed way more often than hitting one out of the park. But being in the sales industry taught me to deal with rejection and understand that even if you only get 1-2 out of 10 you can make it payoff.

My business model wasn't to structure EVERY job to be a big money maker. I would rather take more swings at the plate than sit at home waiting for the phone to ring.

So I had coupons like 3 areas up to 300 sq/ft for $59, I could knock these out in about an hour, yes I didn't make much if that's all the customer wanted but I quickly found my number one upsell was pet treatments and I really practiced on getting good at feature benefiting it. My topical pet treatment on the 3 area special was $30 so that took my ticket to $94, a little better.

Anyway that's why I said I just looked at these jobs as "paid estimates" to try to get a big ticket job.

I didn't run my business like I worked by the hour, I ran my business off a P&L statement. So at the end of the month I couldn't tell you which job I made money on or which one I took a hit on but I could tell you my monthly sales were X, my expense were Y and my net was Z. Because I ran a home based business and did it all myself I managed about 70% net...not including all the personally expenses I ran through the business.

Kipp

Name
kip
randy said:
Cole you didn't read the thread very well as he already answered that.

An investment group bought his craigslist driven company after a couple of years. :roll:
Probably because they wanted his system since he did $178,000 his first year and $225,000 the second with only part time help on big jobs.

Despite what some would have us believe carpet cleaning businesses haven't been selling for years, for the most part they liquidate. I'm part of an investment group that has bought outright or purchased the assets of 1/2 dozen businesses since this recession started. We don't even look at service businesses. Having attended 60 plus bankruptcy /business auctions and bid on over 75 deals I can tell you that most off the times service businesses sell for liquidation value, even when they are currently operating. The market will come back for service businesses but it's not there now. People are looking for hard assets and established franchises or multi-unit operations that have franchise potential.

If $1kaDay wants to post the name of the investment group that he claims acquired his firm I can look them up, ad frankly it's a small universe so we have probably come across them, if they exist.
I'm betting the whole story is 98% bullshit.

In over 20 years I have never met anyone that did $178,000 their first year, as an owner operator. That alone flags the post.

Oh look another douchebag making judgements without all the facts, How much you want to put on the table jacka$$

Ratmoves is the primary company that the group owns, a large broker for auto transportation for dealers across the country. They started a CC business (Clean Choice), they also own a software company and several others that I don't remember. There primary avenue for growing their companies is the acquisitions...

Phil B (I believe his is VP) is the guy I made the deal with, Jeff T is the GM of Clean Choice

Mike asked me to tell a little about myself and I did, I don't really care what some of you cynical smucks think. You can't poke holes in what I have said because It's true. And whether you believe it or not is really irrelevant.

I will jump on this forum and contribute when I can, and try to help others in areas the I excel in. And learn something about things I need to improve on...so go conduct your little investigation inspector gadget and please by all means report back your findings...

And on final comment about doing $178K my first year, I had no idea what a suppose to make...nobody told me I was only suppose to make $50K a year...so I just went to work everyday applied the things I had learned from past experiences and it just happened. You would be amazed how much you can accomplish if you don't let others tell you what your suppose to accomplish.

randy

Name
Randy
I'm in the process of down loading the bankruptcy filings of Beavdry RV. Public documents available for free.

It was liquidated for the value of the real estate. The general manager of 15 years is listed and it wasn't you, MR. NO LAST NAME.The CEO of Beavdry was Thomas Sylvester. According to publicly filed info your claimed income at the dealership exceeded that of the CEO, amazing.

More info will be forth coming latter.....

Trust me this is going to go from mildly amusing to totally hilarious.

randy

Name
Randy
Call the number, too funny LOL
Nice work Fred.
Where do these fantasy carpet cleaning wizKIDS come from.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom