WHAT! You cleaned a wool area rug with an Orbot?

Discussion in 'Rugs and Textiles' started by Nomad74, Nov 29, 2017.

By Nomad74 on Nov 29, 2017 at 12:32 AM
  1. Nomad74
    Nomad74

Supportive Member

Name:
    Damon
    I sure did. It was my only option.

I get to the job and the customer has a 150 sqft. area rug. She tells me it's silk and it needs to be cleaned. The rug was pretty dirty but I could tell it wasn't silk. I inspected the back for a tag and all I found was an ambiguous tag that was not very helpful. I did a burn test and the fiber ashed. I put a bit of water on the corner and after about 5 minutes it smelled like wet dog. Okay, so I was pretty sure it was wool.

I told the customer I would need to take the rug back to my "shop" to clean it properly. This rug had a lot of reds, blues, and greens. I explained to her that to be safe I would need to use dyloc and a wool safe cleaner. Areas of the rug would also need to be treated for urine (With U-Turn by Centrum Force). Then there was also all the fringe work.

When it was all said and done, my quote for this rug was about $450. I thought the lady was going to have a stroke. She replied, "The last guy cleaned it on the floor right there." Looking at her floor I told her that was a horrible idea. She had Pergo flooring and the joints were not the best. I then pulled back the rug and showed her that because the rug had been cleaned in place her Pergo had swollen. She said she didn't care because the landlord was going to rip out the floor anyway. "Yeah, sure he is" I thought to myself.

After going over all the reasons I couldn't clean her rug in place I finally agreed to encap it for her. Yes, I'm going to hell. While cleaning it I was thinking to myself, "I'm sure glad @T Monahan isn't around to see this."

Anyway, it came out pretty good. There was a noticeable difference in the brightness and odor of the rug. Once again the Orbot Vibe saved me.

Below are some pics, swollen floor included.

IMG_5564.JPG IMG_5565.JPG IMG_5566.JPG IMG_5567.JPG IMG_5568.JPG IMG_5569.JPG IMG_5571.JPG IMG_5573.JPG IMG_5574.JPG IMG_5575.JPG
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Bob Pruitt likes this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Rugs and Textiles' started by Nomad74, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Jimmy L
      Jimmy L

Name:
      Jimmy L
      I always ask where they bought it
    2. ruff
      ruff

Name:
      Ofer Kolton
      Be interesting to get opinions. And not specific to this rug which imho would have taken a real effort to make it bleed. Though I would not want to under estimate Damon's special talents.

Does using an encap product on a rug (or even just water) is really safer?

• Yes, safer- On account of less moisture and less chance of delayed bleeding. Also no heat, though you can HWE with (warm-ish) not hot water.
      • Not safer- As most Encap products are alkaline or neutral ph (at dilution) So they do not act as dye stabilizers, as some acidic side rinses will. Also, I wonder what happens to the ph once the water evaporates. If it rises, that can cause an issue or a future issue.
      • Not safer- On account of potential dye transfer through crocking.
      Desk Jockey and Nomad74 like this.
      Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    3. Nomad74
      Nomad74

Supportive Member

Name:
      Damon
      Hey, I'm here to learn, Underestimate away.
    4. cleanking
      cleanking

Name:
      Jordan King
      Definitely a Karastan Heriz design, machine made wool fiber, that cleaning recomendation tag is on all of their wool product.

But honestly....stick to your guns next time, do it right.
      Nomad74 likes this.
    5. Ron K
      Ron K

6. cleanking
      cleanking

Name:
      Jordan King
      Burning wool and silk will smell similar (burning hair), but wool will leave ash and silk will leave almost nothing behind. The flame flutters differently as well.

Like Mike said, silk has a certain luster/sheen to it but a burn (or chemical) test is the only way to be sure. There are wools (Pakistan Bohkara and certain Indian rugs are notorious for this) that will have a luster or sheen that can look similar to silk to the untrained eye. Always burn if you need to know for sure.
      Nomad74 likes this.
    7. Nomad74
      Nomad74

Supportive Member

Name:
      Damon
      Thanks. Good to know. So I guess I was correct that it was wool.
    8. Ron K
      Ron K

Silk usually feels "cool" to the touch. Go to a yarn shop buy some Wool and silk they may even have viscose. Burn it smell it you'll figure it out. 100X mag would help too.
      Nomad74 likes this.
    9. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

PRINCE

Name:
      The Mighty
      LOL I get that but some clients want convenience over thoroughly clean.

I think they would do next day but when we tell them a week you can see it in their face that it's not going to work.

Others don't care, they schedule other services around that time while we have their rugs.
      Onfire_02_01 likes this.
    10. ruff
      ruff

Name:
      Ofer Kolton
      When looking on the back, Silk will have a higher knot count and tighter (smaller) knots.

Some people will never send the rug to be cleaned off site, either because of inconvenience and or price.
      One can stick to their guns and risk potentially losing the client or provide the service. As long as they know what they are doing, are able to substantially reduce the chance of damage and are clear with the clients as to how clean it can really get. They are providing a valuable service.

Of course, later on and on their own time, they can always

[​IMG]
      Mikey P, Nomad74 and Desk Jockey like this.
    11. The Great Oz
      The Great Oz

Name:
      bryan
      Indeed a Karastan, which means good wool and well dyed. Not much to worry about cleaning this rug type - in the shop. It looks good and the rug is unlikely to have any negative issues with the chosen on-site cleaning method.

Skip this part if you don't want the lecture. (Marty version: If the customer wants you to do something you're not comfortable with, don't do it. It's better for you financially.)

For next time:

The one person you shouldn't lie to is yourself. You had options other than to clean on site. You wanted to clean the rug, you wanted to get some more money from the customer, even if it was less than it should have been for the risks you took. At this point it looks like you got away with it, End of Story.
      Never do something dumb because a customer wants you to do something dumb.. They'll either allow you to do it right or find another patsy, and that patsy will be a step closer to being out of business. A win either way.

That size rug retails for over $3k, so make sure you CAN afford to buy it. The Pergo on the floor will come in at about that price too, plus installation.

Unless I had a video of her explaining the floor damage was pre-existing and that she wanted the rug cleaned in place, I'd have some trouble sleeping. Anytime in the next three years she can come after you for the damage, or move out and tell the landlord you did it. We've had many scammers do variations of this over the years. The insurance company almost always rolls over and pays, so writing a check often becomes cheaper than paying higher rates or going to court.

PS: Encapping in a home is always wrong. Always.
      Able 1, Nate The Great, Ron K and 5 others like this.
    12. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

PRINCE

Name:
      The Mighty
      Are you don?

Am I panza? :winky:
      Nomad74 likes this.
    13. ruff
      ruff

Name:
      Ofer Kolton
      ruff!
      Desk Jockey likes this.
    14. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

PRINCE

Name:
      The Mighty
    15. The Great Oz
      The Great Oz

Name:
      bryan
      Low moisture (through faster drying) is safer than high moisture as far as dye bleed is concerned. It would make sense to clean a lightly soiled, loose dye rug this way. It is possible to HWE and not use much water. It isn't accurate to say you're cleaning with encap.

Dye "stabilizers" don't stabilize dye, just help keep unstable dye from moving into fiber that has less dye. They don't always work. Dye stabilizer and a lot of rinsing can remove enough excess dye that future cleaning can be done normally.

Chemical that isn't intended for wool cleaning is typically buffered to make it as effective as possible in the presence of higher acidic soil loads. If the alkaline product is not buffered (like a designed for wool traffic lane cleaner) the acidic soils will reduce the pH through the cleaning process. Buffered high-alkaline residue can cause felting in traffic areas and dyebleed during future cleanings.

Merry Christmas!
      cleanking and Nomad74 like this.
    16. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

PRINCE

Name:
      The Mighty
    17. The Great Oz
      The Great Oz

Name:
      bryan
      Jayhawks ranked #2!
      Desk Jockey likes this.
    18. Mikey P
      Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
      Mike Pay-oh-tay

So no Cimex in the D.A. Burns fleet I take it?
    19. Jimmy L
      Jimmy L

Name:
      Jimmy L
      Scampooing in a residential is nothing more than you using a kirby vacuum scampoo attachment. They use Scott's shampoo.

Done it years ago in my own home, vacuumed everyday and it still looked like crap in a month.
    20. Nomad74
      Nomad74

Supportive Member

Name:
      Damon
      Thank you all for the responses. I've learned a lot. Truly appreciated. Still a lot to learn.
      The Great Oz and Mikey P like this.