WHAT! You cleaned a wool area rug with an Orbot?

Discussion in 'Rugs and Textiles' started by Nomad74, Nov 29, 2017.

By Nomad74 on Nov 29, 2017 at 12:32 AM
  1. Nomad74
    Nomad74

Supportive Member

Name:
    Damon
    I sure did. It was my only option.

I get to the job and the customer has a 150 sqft. area rug. She tells me it's silk and it needs to be cleaned. The rug was pretty dirty but I could tell it wasn't silk. I inspected the back for a tag and all I found was an ambiguous tag that was not very helpful. I did a burn test and the fiber ashed. I put a bit of water on the corner and after about 5 minutes it smelled like wet dog. Okay, so I was pretty sure it was wool.

I told the customer I would need to take the rug back to my "shop" to clean it properly. This rug had a lot of reds, blues, and greens. I explained to her that to be safe I would need to use dyloc and a wool safe cleaner. Areas of the rug would also need to be treated for urine (With U-Turn by Centrum Force). Then there was also all the fringe work.

When it was all said and done, my quote for this rug was about $450. I thought the lady was going to have a stroke. She replied, "The last guy cleaned it on the floor right there." Looking at her floor I told her that was a horrible idea. She had Pergo flooring and the joints were not the best. I then pulled back the rug and showed her that because the rug had been cleaned in place her Pergo had swollen. She said she didn't care because the landlord was going to rip out the floor anyway. "Yeah, sure he is" I thought to myself.

After going over all the reasons I couldn't clean her rug in place I finally agreed to encap it for her. Yes, I'm going to hell. While cleaning it I was thinking to myself, "I'm sure glad @T Monahan isn't around to see this."

Anyway, it came out pretty good. There was a noticeable difference in the brightness and odor of the rug. Once again the Orbot Vibe saved me.

Below are some pics, swollen floor included.

IMG_5564.JPG IMG_5565.JPG IMG_5566.JPG IMG_5567.JPG IMG_5568.JPG IMG_5569.JPG IMG_5571.JPG IMG_5573.JPG IMG_5574.JPG IMG_5575.JPG
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Bob Pruitt likes this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Rugs and Textiles' started by Nomad74, Nov 29, 2017.

1. The Great Oz
      The Great Oz

Name:
      bryan
      You're a good egg, Damon.

Too busy with other work to do commercial maintenance.
      Nomad74 likes this.
    2. Ron K
      Ron K

So let me ask you something...
      Do you ever leave just some mold in a home with water damage over throughly clean just for convenience???
      Everyone would want to get into their damaged home a day or two earlier.
    3. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

PRINCE

Name:
      The Mighty
      Yes. Not often but it is their home or business.

10 years ago we dried down a large area of offices in a hospital. We suspected a possibility of mold in some walls from a preexisting loss. They would not let us open the walls up but wanted them dry. We drew negative pressure on the walls using HEPA air scrubbers and adaptadri manifolds.

We had very good documentation, thermals, pictures and a refusal of recommendations signed by the facilities manager.

Similar instances happen in homes. Homeowner strapped with policy limits will decide not to remove drywall affected by sewage or mold. We document, have the appropriate paperwork signed and provide the next best services. MMR instead of removal of mold, wash down and biocides instead of removal.

Two choices. Find a way to provide the services the clients desire or walk away. We will work with those that seem normal and walk from those that don't.
      Bob Pruitt and Nomad74 like this.
    4. Cleanworks
      Cleanworks

Name:
      Ron Marriott
      Some people want the steak, some just want the sizzle.
    5. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

PRINCE

Name:
      The Mighty
      I live on gravel road, I its seems my vehicle is always dirty. We have a car wash at our shop, its takes 5 minutes. Now I know its not as goos as hand wash but my vehicle gets dirty so quickly I'm washing it weekly.

Dan on the other hand has a nice sponge and bucket there. He hand washes and only uses the car wash to rinse. It takes 20-30 minutes and it is more thoroughly washed.

For me it's serves a purpose, my vehicle looks clean (I know there is a better method) and most of the soil is removed. It is convenient and fairly effective. Not the best but I only hand wash once or twice a year before waxing.

Those customers for whatever reason will likely only send their rug in plant when they move or when they refinish the floor. No matter how much you try to educate them on their decision, they want a different service than you are trying to sell them.
    6. scottw
      scottw

Supportive Member

Name:
      Scott Warrington
      Sometimes with some customers it comes down to a lesser level of cleaning or no cleaning at all. When those are the options, the rug, the client and the cleaner may all be better off if the rug gets cleaned than if it does not get cleaned.

How successful would GM be if it stood on principal and refused to sell any car other than its top of the line Cadillac?
    7. The Great Oz
      The Great Oz

Name:
      bryan
      I get the idea Scott. I personally would have a tough time selling "close enough" service to those that won't pay for better, mainly because those people can complain that whatever you did to meet their budget still wasn't good enough. That's been my experience - no good deed goes unpunished.

What if we change this analogy up a bit and say,
      How successful would GM be if it stood on principle and refused to sell crappy cars?

The willingness to produce bad cars led them to bankruptcy, but what if they only sold good cars? They could command more dollars per car, be more profitable, not wasted their time and money building the bad cars, and would have built a respectable name for themselves.

Maybe if they only built Cadillacs, a Cadillac would still be the Cadillac of the car industry!
      Ron K and T Monahan like this.
    8. Ron K
      Ron K

Love to have you over my shop one day so I can educate you on what clean is.
      T Monahan likes this.
    9. Nate The Great
      Nate The Great

Name:
      Nate W.
      I seen you clean... :lol:

No wonder your balding :clap:
    10. ruff
      ruff

Name:
      Ofer Kolton
      I think Bryan may have the infamous- "having too many employees" syndrome.
      One out of 70 employees goofs once every once in a while and immediately there a new and improved regulation book. Read chapter 37, paragraph 12, fifth sentence from the bottom. Yes. There will be a test tomorrow.

Given, Bryan, due to having so many employees, having to deal with and correct so many problem situations and his natural intelligence, developed a tremendous knowledge. However, like any large company with many employees, it seems like they tend to over react and over regulate. Hard to train and re-train and re-re-train again all these employees.

How many here (O/O) had complaints about on location cleaning? Me- 0. That is zero, Bryan.
      How many here bled a carpet due to on location cleaning? Me- 0. That is zero, Bryan.

How about others here? That have to deal with real clients who vote with their feet and wallet. And don't use words like ":eek:ur company policy is.....".

P.S. Bryan, could you please provide us with an abridged, GM analogy for simpletons?
    11. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

PRINCE

Name:
      The Mighty
      Is this a free class? I'd like to see what clean really is. :winky:
    12. ruff
      ruff

Name:
      Ofer Kolton
      He said "Over his Shop."
      Ron must live in a fly over state with a strong educational tendencies :winky:
      Desk Jockey likes this.
    13. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

PRINCE

Name:
      The Mighty
      I'm ahhfeared of heights. How much to see "Clean" inside? :biggrin:
    14. T Monahan
      T Monahan

Supportive Member

Name:
      Tom Monahan
      Bryan please show everyone your photograph from Eden N.C.

The one that shows the process of most Karastans going through a chorine rinse.
      Nomad74 likes this.
    15. Ron K
      Ron K

"Offer to my shop" is what I meant.
      I've heard you have no class in Kansas!
    16. Cleanworks
      Cleanworks

Name:
      Ron Marriott
      You heard right.
    17. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

PRINCE

Name:
      The Mighty
      WE HAVE PLENTY! Mostly low but we got it! :winky:
      The Great Oz, Cleanworks and Ron K like this.
    18. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

PRINCE

Name:
      The Mighty
    19. The Great Oz
      The Great Oz

Name:
      bryan
      Ofer, Just playing with Scott's analogy.

It might be pertinent that we have a rug cleaning plant and can clean rugs correctly, so don't have to take the risks you do. :winky:
      Mikey P and Nomad74 like this.
    20. Nomad74
      Nomad74

Supportive Member

Name:
      Damon
      My “Rug Plant” Area is currently being taken up by a sailboat project and a lawnmower. :(. Back in the garage I go.

0EAD7427-BEA5-41E8-97FD-2B8E47744689.jpeg
      The Great Oz likes this.