What's in a name?

Bob Foster

Who do you think has the best name in the business as far as the name enticing a prospective consumer to call them?

I'm not talking about truck wraps or logos or type of lettering - pure and simple - the best name and why.

Scott

Please post your services so we can get an idea of which market you're trying to reach. Also, which demographic are you trying to reach?

Scott

Bob Foster

Scott this is to bring up with existing names and why. If we want to come up with a better name lets suggest a 1 or 2 truck carpet cleaning business in a trading area of 3-400,000 people where one might expect a couple of dozen or more competitors.

Scott

If commercial/residential, I like "Eco-Clean" or some variation therein. In most places in the US, with the exception of Marty's area, "green cleaning" is beginning to be a big issue.

If only for residential it's hard to argue a name like "Baby Safe" or something to do with the safety of families/pets.

If only for commercial I like a name like Rick Gelinas' company "One-Step". It's simple to remember and portrays simplicity to the prospect/customer.

If a rural multiple service company, I like the "Brand-You" approach. Company last name Cleaning/Restoration Service. If you're going to build a local brand and be there for many years, tying your own name to the company instills a sense of security and community reputation. Some examples: Chavez Restoration, Hagopian, Rendall's, (ok, I am a bit biased!), etc.

One of my favorites from the board is Fon's "Dr. Cleangood". Talk about a scalable brand. The branding possibilities with such a name are huge.

Then there's combinations that fit well like "Smith's Baby Soft" or "Johnson's Eco-Clean". These take the Brand-You element to a higher level.

I like simple the best, personally. I want to make it easy for my customers and prospects to remember me, but I also want it to have "legs" whereby I can build a scalable brand around.

Scott

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I always thought that "Crystal Clean" was a good name.

"Clean as a Whistle"... That's Mr. Partridge's right?

There is a janitorial service in my home-town called "Brothers Cleaners", but they make most of their money (Or did) charging premiums to erase people's criminal indiscretions as they had all the accounts with the city buildings.

However, if I knew about it, it either wasn't true or wasn't happening anymore.

Scott

Agree with you, Gary. A name that mentally conjures up a clean image is very powerful as well.

Scott

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
That duck doesn't look fluffy or cute after they run it through the HVAC system like a feather duster.

Not so Eco friendly anymore are we? HMM?

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
When I was looking for a name I was told the word "blue" catches people's attention. Don't know if it's old school. Was also told the word "crystal" was good :lol:

Albert

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Beyond Clean is a good one. A very good one.

I think the newschool take on Crystal might be diamond. In my IICRC class of 30, the 2 new start ups both insisted the word "Diamond" be in their name.

I suggested they call themselves "Diamond Dozen"

Didn't go over the greatest.

Scott

Here's a name that won't be forgotten:

Company Name: Pink Elephant

USP: Go ahead, try NOT to think of Pink Elephants!

Scott

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Albert Lazo said:
When I was looking for a name I was told the word "blue" catches people's attention. Don't know if it's old school. Was also told the word "crystal" was good :lol:

Albert

Crystal Blue Extraction - apologies to Tommy James

Scott Warrington

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
TJ

scottw said:
Albert Lazo said:

Albert

Crystal Blue Extraction - apologies to Tommy James

Scott Warrington

Scott,
That was bad. I hope you didn't expect any Mony Mony for that.

maker

JOHNNY ON THE SPOT

implies promptness (which is a big issue for customers) and that you there to get spots out. Easy to remember. It can always be shortened to JOTS should it evolve into a big franchise company. I don't know any company named this but it was an idea I had a while back.

My favorite existing name is Beyond Clean.

Also a good name for someone opening a business in contract killing- FINISHING TOUCHES

Scott

There's a Johnny on the Spot in my neck of the woods. Steve Pichan is the owner of the company. Helluva nice guy and runs a tight ship.

Scott

-JB-

Name
JB
How about,

Never Cleaner?

wait, it prolly get called never clean, never mind!

C'mon Dan, you knew it was coming. :wink:

duckster

Scott said:
If only for residential it's hard to argue a name like "Baby Safe" or something to do with the safety of families/pets.
Scott

I started out as Duck Country because the University of Oregon Ducks are right here in Eugene. But after one year I changed to Baby Safe Carpet Cleaning and have the license to the name throughout Oregon. Women buy carpet cleaning. They love babies, anybody's babies. Name caught on. Business edged up.

Duck Country Carpet Cleaning would not work as well. Beaver fans live here too and hate anything to do with Ducks. And men more than women are into football generally although I am sure there are many exceptions. Men rarely make the carpet cleaning service decisions.

Do It Mean...Do It Green...Make It Clean

Green can make having a relatively low cost portable into a marketing edge over truckmounts. After all, portys do not burn gas and gas is...let me guess...carbon? And we are cleaning the carpet, not trying to deal with water damage so the job doesn't need the gut sucking power or the extreme in PSIs.

GREEN translates into $$$ GreenBacks these days. Women who are 25-40, college graduates and make a living outside the home as professional women with corporate careers and 2 children in private school are the target for Green, Pet-Safe and Baby-Safe promises. And, they have both the money and power to pay for what we have and decide alone that it will be done by us for them. Reason we leave Springfield alone and focus on Eugene is all based on census numbers that clearly layout where the target group herd is living.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
How about " those a$$holes carpet cleaning"?
I can hear it now, "honey, could you get those a$$holes out here to clean the carpet?"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom