Who is running a SS 454, 460 or 570, or a TCS Chief2 Diesel?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
We require a sticker indicating the propane system has been approved in order to get the tank filled.
Other guys have gone around the system, my mistake was involving the wrong people. It was the "correct" way, but its the bureaucratic way, and we all know what that is like. I can't wait any longer on this process.
If it was built in the US, yes, I probably could have just taken it to a propane certified automotive place, and they wouldn't know the actual regs that are in place, so they would have given me the sticker. Everything changed in BC in 2011. I never had any issues in 08 when it was first installed.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Ron,

I was planning on doing the same thing w/ my TNT's but for the cost of modifying both to double HX's, I went and purchased a Vortex instead.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Couldn't you have a large tank at your shop and fill the truck from there?
We require a sticker indicating the propane system has been approved in order to get the tank filled.
Other guys have gone around the system, my mistake was involving the wrong people. It was the "correct" way, but its the bureaucratic way, and we all know what that is like. I can't wait any longer on this process.
If it was built in the US, yes, I probably could have just taken it to a propane certified automotive place, and they wouldn't know the actual regs that are in place, so they would have given me the sticker. Everything changed in BC in 2011. I never had any issues in 08 when it was first installed.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
didn't know you could buy a Vortex for under $6000!

I drive a 14ft cube van. There are times when its too big, almost. Adding another 2 ft would make a for a big truck to drive around here. Plus, the Judson is perfect for my needs, I get almost 1hr dry times, consistent heat, and its really easy to maintain. I'll get the same performance , or close to it I believe wrt heat.

I considered a V or AT, For 95% of my work they are more than I need. And I work alone so I don't dual wand. and they're great trucks, for the first 5yrs. Then it seems age and problems creep in, more maintenance than I need to deal with, esp since everything would have to be ordered and brought across the border.

The home based fuel tank, don't know.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Well, budget restrictions will prevent me from getting a new unit for the time. The plan is still to get rid of the propane. Not that I didn't trust my Judson, best machine I've ever had, simple, easy to fix, lots of heat and vac. I might be missing it. Had I not got mixed up with a dork with the safety authority that was trying to justify his job before he retired, I probably could have gotten everything hooked up, in a round about way. They are so worried about the Little Giant, calling it dangerous, its going to explode, paranoid buggers. Told them people have been running them for 40yrs without really having much problem, definitely not blowing up! You'd have to be an idiot to blow an LG up.
You guys are lucky in the states, you don't have these issues. If I was down there I'd be hooking this up and running for another 5yrs+

So, the plan is, I've be talking to Don at JOhn's Heat Exchangers, now called TTI Custom Fabrication. I'll be getting a double barrel exhaust heat exhanger and a 25hp gasoline Kohler and refitting the CanAm. I'll have to find a new name for it. This will keep the simplicity without all the switches and wires and keep it so I can still work on it. Plus, I can get service for a gas Kohler but I have to take a ferry to the mainland to find a guy to work on the propane Kohler.

I got 5yrs of almost trouble free operation. Les makes good TMs. Glad I'm keep most of it.

Anyone need a propane Kohler and a 4HT? Don't think I'll be able to ship the propane tanks.

You're going to like that HX from Don. He built me one last year. Very efficient. Exhaust from HX is just warm, not hot. I removed and bypassed my coolant HX to replace the gaskets, but haven't reinstalled it yet because I get more than enough heat from the exhaust HX Don built.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Werner

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
It is a great idea and a great set up.........it is a much better idea to control the heat this machine can give you..........
mine can get out of control if not careful....I can bury that needle with out even trying to the point it is just to hot to handle the hose at times.....

IMG_0724_zps642cd291.jpg

IMO...that's just crazy....cooking my hose and my valves....vapors my hydraforce...and this machine has no problems holding it or spiking it back up if it drops some........

you want heat..with out the propane headache........this is the machine to run..............and the new heat control set up is much much better........
I had the same problem and changed out the 180 deg. Thermostat to 140. It solved the problem. I think it helps when tap water is in the mid 70s or hurts depending on your view.

Gene

Reactions: Art Kelley

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom