Why are so many people leaving the OP method?

hogjowl

Idiot™
How do you differentiate between padding and encapsulation cleaning, Lee? To me, the difference is encapsulation cleaning is when you are using a machine that doesn't remove soil. Like a Cimex, or GLS machine. Padding is still using encapsulation solutions, but soil is being removed via the pad.

Now, there are some who will argue that only using a cotton pad is true padding, and that synthetic pads don't remove enough soil to warrant calling it padding. My response to that is , while I disagree, it's not worth arguing about. In your case, it's especially irrelevant because using either doesn't significantly effect the cleaning speed.

I use synthetic pads in almost all commercial applications, unless I run into really bad areas. Then I bring out the cotton pads. But I average 1032 sf per hour either way with my 17 inch machine with no solution tank.

Rob Rocha

I received my Defender about a month ago. It does a great job on looped pile. I cleaned a restaurant the other day it turned out great even the walk off area from the kitchen cleaned up real quick.
I'm wondering the experience anyone has had with cut pile and op's,I hear they can possibly bloom them if you let them sit in one spot too long? I'm going to wait before I use it in a customers home on cut pile till Ive tested scraps more and talked to more cleaners about it.

Greenie

Rob Rocha said:
I'm going to wait before I use it in a customers home on cut pile till Ive tested scraps more and talked to more cleaners about it.

Wise beyond his years.

Rob Rocha

I used it on a extra carpet, just like one in a bedroom in my house let me say I'm glad It wasn't the carpet in the room I cleaned it did bloom. This was a carpet that was in the house when we bought, it is a looser frieze that doesn't have a great memory on the twist. That's why I was wondering other guys experiences. I will keep testing but not in my home till I know what to expect.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Well you can expect to bloom a Frieze... On all or at least a lot of them the twist is reversed. Also it is a very real possibility to bloom a cut pile if you run the machine in one place for an extended period of time, don't have adequate lubrication on the fiber & towel &/or fail to use a glider disc. There are situations when OP is not the best option. It may be time for me to write a manual... Maybe I'll price it at $14.99 (Canadian).

LeeCory

Rob you are doing well to test before you take on a residential job for a customer.

How often do you think guys that have not been trained with an "OPE?" machine have gone out there and bloomed a carpet and didn't even know it? I never have..... :oops:

Rob Rocha

Thanks Jeremy, I'll keep it moving on cut pile. Although it's tempting on commercial carpet to go remove some gum while it cleans in the middle of a room.

Rob Rocha

Your right Lee I would think anyone using a machine for the first time would want to test it out, if they haven't seen what it can do. I do like the defender and looking forward to seeing all that it can do.
Hey Lee I was a little slow with the emoticon. Yea, we've all done something in our cleaning we wish we could have back.

LeeCory

A synthetic pad is much easier on a residential carpet than cotton, and is much more forgiving. Johns Gladiator pads are also nice and last a long time.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
John wouldn't ATTEMPT my reverse twist Frieze...

he looked lik a deer in the headlites...when he walked in an seen it......

G

Ar Least he knoWs tHE DIffERence. OR mAYBe he didn't waNna sMEar all the PoOp froM youR CoLOSTomY bAG!

LeeCory

Do the synthetic pads hold as much soil as the cottons? While using the synthetics they don't "look" like they are getting dirty, but when you wash them you see that they are.

How many synthetics would it take to equal the soil load of a cotton?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
My personal opinion is that its a optical illusion in that cotton hold more dirt.

When you wet out cotton it doesn't absorb any more liquid.

But a synthetic like a tuway will continue to absorb like a straw and hold the dirt in the interior of the pad.And when you soak the pad after you get home you'll see it release all that dirt. Cottons will not release as well.That is why you see the dirty shadow on them.

tim

My only experience with synthetic pads are with Tuways and they do not clean as well as cotton or gladiator pads but they dont tip bloom. It is a trade off. They also seem to dry out faster but they last ALOT longer. I have always felt the biggest drawback to cotton pads is how fast they wear out. They arent cheap!

John G

Lee, I always PadCap never just encap, I remove the soil just like I was padding but use the encap products to enhance the job, The customer is basically getting two methods in one process.

Jimmy, it is NO illusion, if you were really a padder you would KNOW that.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
"The customer is basically getting two methods in one process."

and.....you REALLY believe that....yous jus as dumb as they are....then!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
SRI Cleaning said:
Whats a glider disk?

a round piece of plastic
They come in varying diameters and thickness.

They do several things.
Allows easier control to maneuver the OP machine
Limits the surface area of the pad while keeping it from being too aggressive on cut piles.

because of the oscillating action of OP machines, OP cleaning can distort cut piles and is a very real concern depending on the type of cut pile and pad used.
Cotton pads (which clean the best) also distort cut piles the fastest/worst.

The distortion is commonly called "tip blooming"
what actually happens is the fiber bundle unravels and the carpet gets a "fuzzy" look to it.

Think it was Greenie that likened it to Don King's hair doo :lol:

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Jus to add to what Larry sED....a major concern nowadays is the TYPE of twist that we're attempting to clean as well....the OP's don't do so good on the reverse (anti clockwise) cuz they straighten them out...and turn them into wet noodles......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom