your worst enemy

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
When someone is standing there, money in hand, ready to make a purchase, given a choice they want what makes them feel good the most, according to their means, regardless of whether it's selecting the plumber to fix a busted pipe, picking out the right color mulch for the front flower bed, a hot cup of java to sip, their next set of wheels, or their favorite carpet cleaner. It could be the cheapest, it could be the most expensive, it could be in the middle, according to their means. The mechanics, though, are the same. "I really, really, really want that thing." There's an emotional component, there's a need, and they'll do what they can to fill it. The better the can afford to fill it the more likely they'll endulge themselves.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I still think it's apples and oranges.

People don't really really want a carpet cleaning the way they might really really want a (insert any product that cost the same as a carpet cleaning like a new outfit or something)

They really really NEED a carpet cleaning where as they may or may not NEED a new outfit.

Sure their means may create a need for better quality but I believe the argument was whether or not the "better quality" cleaner will make more money off of one job or doing less jobs.

Yes, I like getting the higher prices but I sure don't do the dog and pony show to get the super high BMW prices.
It's all relative.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
Ron asked who do you pick to work for and who dictates what you charge, saying price shoppers will never be your client, they'll always want a lower price and a cheaper job.

We're comparing two entirely different animals.

My ideal client, and maybe Ron's too, really, really, really does like clean carpet. She'll even tell you, "I love it." It makes her feel good. What you call a luxury is really nothing more than taking enough care and concern to make sure you exceed her expectations. It's no more a neccesary inconvenience than the cleaning ladies on Friday. She looks forward to it. Once the appointment's made she feels a sense of relief, even excitement.

She's tried this one, she's tried that one, for whatever reason, she likes this one. The one that makes her feel good the most. If it's a little more then that's what it costs. She's not an idiot, she can smell a dog and pony show when it walks in the door. The sky's not the limit just cuz he's got a fancy calculator and she can afford to spend whatever she wants. But, she's not shopping for the lowest price either. Her cost expectations are proportionate to what she expects to receive in return.

Needless to say, if I were running multiple trucks or subcontracting all my work my ideal client might be very different.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I understand what you're saying Wayne. Jen loves it when we get our house cleaned every 2 weeks.
But I do know a pair of shoes is something that makes her extremely happy...and will for a long while after.
The service needs to be done every two weeks to keep up.

Let's face it...someone is going to put more value on a product than a service. This goes back to the slave days.
The upper created the product and the lower swept up after the project was done.
The assembly line helped bridge that gap but is still the man in charge that gets all the respect.

I've cleaned for millionaires who will scoff at a 100 dollar charge to a cleaning but will spend $100,000.00 on that new car and never blink an eye about it.

There are exceptions to the rule...but the rule is the rule.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Wayne Miller said:
Ron asked who do you pick to work for and who dictates what you charge,

yep
and I'll say again, ... "market" dictates the price.
regardless of the service, there IS a ceiling as long as there is competition

and at the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you're running around town servicing peeps for 10 cents a sf or 10 dollars sf
It's what you "net" for the total time spent that count$
(ASSuming good custy retention and referrals, of coarse)

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom