Zerorez

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
XTREME1 said:
I don't think that is what his post said at all.

I think they were dissatisfied and that is when price became an issue. I paid $xxx for this crappy cleaning and I have been paying less for better, I am going back

EXACTLY!

Bumpy Ride

Name
Bumpy Ride
CHEMICAL!

So just to be clear with all us readers, your electrolyzed water ph is 12+, contains sodium hydroxide and in your book, sodium hydroxide is not a chemical? Have you read what the EPA RED Fact sheet says under human health assessment "Toxicity"?

Says less than 10 grams taken orally is fatal.

So i was at home to day kinda bored and decided for some reason that forum searching would b fun, (whats wrong with me right) and through about 45 minutes of aimless internet searching eventually got onto carpet cleaning forums cuz hey, i clean carpets,y not. And i came across a few posts that i wont directly bash but i have to say some of you need to do some more research and possibly grow out of the age group of 6-12 before you go about bashing companies such as the one i work for ZEROREZ. iv seen anything from its straight hype to its dangerous because of the high ph levels to false advertising claims.

Ill start with hype. this is very easily dismissed with a simple examination. If it was hype, would we get the awesome results (not sure how to post pics) we do? no if it was all hype then it simply wouldnt work. also if it was all hype then y do countless amounts of our customers who have had other companies out say directly that the results with us were better and continue to invite us back to their homes?

Moving on to dangers... there are none. simple as that. The water we use does have a PH level of 12.23 to b exact. Now by the IICRC standards a carpet cleaner is not to break 10.5ph in his cleaning...WAIT A MINUTE how are we using 12+ then!?!? simple, (i dont have a direct quote) but in the "rules" it states that a carpet cleaner can not use a CHEMICAL solution thats ph breaks 10.5. there is your hitch, CHEMICAL. We dont use a chemical in our cleaning water it is electrolized water. no chemical=no chemical restriction. (that last part was straight out of Steve Poulos mouth btw). so in short there is no danger because were not using a chemical solution and the water neutrolizes within 15 minutes after the carpet cleaning.

And now false advertising. AH i love this one makes me chuckle everytime. YOU SAY YOU DONT USE CHEMICALS BUT U HAVE PRE-SPRAYS AND SPOT REMOVERS AND BLABLABKLABLA!!! you done now? good because anyone who presents this complaint is simply hearing what they want to here form the advertising so they can find a reason to complain. simple fact is (with the des moines branch, i cant speak for all) when we advertise we directly say "we do not use chemicals or detergeants in our cleaning water." let me type it out again "we do not use chemicals or detergeants in our cleaning water." did you catch it? "in our cleaning water". however if a difficult spot presents itself such as rust or pet urine, there are chemicals we use. you simply have to. BUT before use of anything beyond our basic cleaning water (Including our pre-spray) we discuss what we are using and why we are using it with the customer and if they express that they dont want us to use those items in there home then well......we dont. And i already know that im going to get atleast one nimrod that says "Well you dont tell the full story in your advertisements so they are false!!" look bro. our main marketing is through radio and we have to pay not only for time slots but also how much is said and done in those advertisements... if we were to explain the entire works (basically have a IICRC training course on the air to please all of u cry babys) can u imagine the advertising costs. the business would go under no matter how effective our cleaning was. Come on people lets use some common sense.

Now to wrap this up i will say that we dont bash other companies we never directly say that "company name" is trash or anything like that. We just say that were better which is fair. and i did see one forum post i liked where the guy said y would someone pay to advertise and come out swinging with "Were not any better than the knowledgable cleaner you had out last year were just different". and to b fair we dont get 100% perfect cleanings at every house. you cant. the best you can do is strive for perfection and having a process that eliminates some of those pesky side effects like dirt attracting residues certainly helps. and in all fairness i think the kind of cleaners who take the time to post on forums and actually know what they are talking about are probably the kind of guys that in the field do a very good job. the ones we should b mad at are the tool bags that start their business off of $1000 dont use their tools or chemicals correctly, have the worst costumer service skills in the world and make a bad name for carpet cleaners everywhere.

Able 1

Name
Keith
:eekk: Good for you! Using Zerorez could kill you? Sounds good to me..

Last edited:

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Wow. Thank you mr. Zerorez. Now I have something to give my customers that ask about what you guys do. Talk about giving your competition a loaded gun.

Sent from my motorola flip phone using Crapatalk 1.1

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Wow. Thank you mr. Zerorez. Now I have something to give my customers that ask about what you guys do. Talk about giving your competition a loaded gun.
Lye can be used in some of the foods you eat. Found this on line-"With pretzels, the dough is dipped in a very mild solution of lye; most sources I found call for a 3% solution, which is about 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) of lye dissolved in a quart of water. When the pretzel is dipped in the solution, the lye immediately begins to react with the surface of the dough, yellowing it. As it bakes, the color intensifies and turns a deep, glossy brown, the pretzel taking on a crisp, chewy texture." BTW; If you listen closely Zerorez doesn't say they don't use chemicals or even that what they use is safe. They just say they don't LEAVE a residue. ( because the high alkali strips if off. ) Of course residue isn't much of a problem for us or our clients either. Zerorez just found a way to create a problem and then act like they are the only solution. ( This is the same tactic used by politicians all the time ( Create the problem and then come in as the hero) and it can also be used to create a USP for as business. Maybe we can learn from this as a marketing lesson. Create a USP ( Even if you have to create a problem.) and them hammer it home in every ad.

Last edited:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
You need to understand the "electrolysed water process" .

The very slight amounts of electrolytes added are just enough to make the water conductive.

Then the water is separated into the components that are used for microbial reduction, and cleaning.

Larry

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
so is zerorez using a dangerous product that is possibly placing their customers at risk?

is that what was said or did it come off wrong?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
so is zerorez using a dangerous product that is possibly placing their customers at risk?

is that what was said or did it come off wrong?
It is also use to clean and disinfect food prep areas. Saying it is dangerous could be quite a stretch and Zerorez likes to sue. Would be better to use it as a marketing lesson on how to use a USP.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
The "strength" of a acidic or alkaline solution has a number indicators.

• Concentration
  • Reactivity
  • pH
  • Buffering Capacity
  • LD 50 (total amount that would cause a poision reaction)

The pH is but one indicator, and does not dictate the level of any other indicator.

While it can be said that Sodium Hydroxide is "poisonous" and potentially harmful to human health, it is the concentration and total intake of which would indicate the actual nrelative hazard.

Sodium Hydroxide, while the principle component of zerorez's rinse solution (apart from water), is present in such a low concentration is of an insignificant hazard, even if injected in rather large quantities in the water in which it is dissolved. Moreover, the percentage (the amount in a given volume of water) is so low, as to be likely neutralized by carpet soil to the extent that the residue is also negligible.

What seems to be lost in the discussion here is what Zerorez is doing. In essence they are cleaning carpet using a deliberately over-engineered process for making the rinse agent and then creating an ingenious marketing package around the mystique of said process. Attacking the chemistry is a dead end. The cleaner who competes must do so by a simple layout of the facts that attenuates the hype. Then and only then can you make distinctions between the relative value of your method and theirs.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Thats what I was telling Fred at Mikeysfest last year 2013, That in order to make 200 gallons of stock solution which needs to be used in a day, they need 400 gallons of water so they actually waste a precious resource 200 gallons of water making their usable product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
YES!! thank you. haha ill admit i didnt word that correctly in my post. we do not use harmful negative side effect chemicals. but yes.. water is a chemical. my bad rookie mistake. but that does take me back to my comment regarding people hearing the advertisements incorrectly and forming incorrect assumptions. both on the consumer and the competition side of life. thank you shawn.

One of the biggest problems with the Zero Rez advertising isnt so much the verbage of the advertising, (I understand symantics especially misleading symantics. Pretty similar to $9.95 a room symantics. Theres always a catch.) when said advertising is your actual produced commercials. Its where you do your advertising. (on lots of talk radio here in Phoenix) and it is what the paid shills say. Out here the radio hosts constantly profess Zero Rez uses Zero chemicals. So if they stuck to the script no issues. But they dont stick to the script and they say over and over how Zero Rez doesnt use any chemicals.

Just SAYIN.

Billy

Name
BH
Am I worried about ZeroRez?....... NO.

I still remember the days when ChemWho was mentioned by most potential clients. We made it thru there many marketing gimmicks. When is the last time anyone had ChemWho brought up to them during a call or estimate?........ For our company it has been years. So if we just do our jobs correctly we all will make it thru the gimmicks used by ZeroRez.

Most consumers are smart & catch on to Marketing Gimmicks.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
The "strength" of a acidic or alkaline solution has a number indicators.

• Concentration
  • Reactivity
  • pH
  • Buffering Capacity
  • LD 50 (total amount that would cause a poision reaction)

The pH is but one indicator, and does not dictate the level of any other indicator.

While it can be said that Sodium Hydroxide is "poisonous" and potentially harmful to human health, it is the concentration and total intake of which would indicate the actual nrelative hazard.

Sodium Hydroxide, while the principle component of zerorez's rinse solution (apart from water), is present in such a low concentration is of an insignificant hazard, even if injected in rather large quantities in the water in which it is dissolved. Moreover, the percentage (the amount in a given volume of water) is so low, as to be likely neutralized by carpet soil to the extent that the residue is also negligible.

What seems to be lost in the discussion here is what Zerorez is doing. In essence they are cleaning carpet using a deliberately over-engineered process for making the rinse agent and then creating an ingenious marketing package around the mystique of said process. Attacking the chemistry is a dead end. The cleaner who competes must do so by a simple layout of the facts that attenuates the hype. Then and only then can you make distinctions between the relative value of your method and theirs.

Question Shawn - Will there not be saponification to some degree?

Lye (sodium hydroxide) + Fats (oils in carpet from: aerosolized cooking oils, pets, people) = Soap

They may not be cleaning with soap - but are they creating it in the process?

If so, how can there truly be no residue left, as their process inherently creates a byproduct that would remain to some degree?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Question Shawn - Will there not be saponification to some degree?

Lye (sodium hydroxide) + Fats (oils in carpet from: aerosolized cooking oils, pets, people) = Soap

They may not be cleaning with soap - but are they creating it in the process?

If so, how can there truly be no residue left, as their process inherently creates a byproduct that would remain to some degree?

The answer is "yes, somewhat likely", and "yes, potentially" to your first two questions.

There is a very small amount (concentration wise). So little in fact that the mere presence of some acidic soil is more likely to react and neutralize, than edible oils being saponified (but a little of both can certainly happen). That being the case, the "residue" is on the order between "scant" and "insignificant". It is also the reason why their solution, while being a rather high pH, is still "CRA" friendly.

Reactions: SMRBAP

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
Outside of their verbiage, is their process any better than what is out there? What ways do you combat customers asking if you leave zero residue in their carpets?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I guarantee them I won't be leaving a sticky residue behind, causing rapid resoiling. I guarantee I will be leaving behind clean, soft carpet that won't attract soil. We also include deodorizer in our rinse as a value added benefit of going with us.

The Clean Machine

Reactions: Wing It

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
The trick is to get them to focus on all the positive things of choosing your company. I try not to spend too much time talking about ZeroRez or any others. Many ask because ZR markets HEAVY here on the radio.

The Clean Machine

Reactions: Shawn Forsythe

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
In 30 years of cleaning. I have never found a client that had mentioned that residue was a concern. Zerorez just invented a almost non-existent problem and then invented that they were the authority in solving it. It's just smart marketing. It's really not about cleaning method. THis is this marketing lesson on how to highlight your own company , create a client buzz and separate your company from the pack. What makes your company Unique? You can expand a almost non-existent problem . ( Like Zerorez did. ) or you can even highlight something most other companies already do. ( Perhaps corner guards and booties.) or find an other way to find your niche. But, the main thing is to find one and highlight it in all your marketing. Forget Zerorez!! What makes your company unique. Keep it simple. You should be able to say the ONE thing that makes your company unique in 9 words or less..................

Reactions: Wing It

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
I'm not losing any sleep over it - believe me - I just like to have my facts straight for whenever needed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom