Zipper chatter

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I have a 15 inch Zipper wand. I really like it on many commercial jobs however, on some CGD the dang thing chatters so bad you can’t you use it.
I have tried to adjust the height, take off the weight, I have added up to 6 pounds more weight nothing works. The TI wand doesn’t chatter but the Zipper chatters so bad on too many of my regular commercial accounts I am very sad I spent so much money on this thing. When it doesn’t chatter it works better than any other wand but way too many times it chatters no matter how slow you move it.
Anyone have a suggestion? I am about to sell this thing.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Since it's a chattering POS, sell it to me dirt cheap! :p

We cleaned for decades with the Steam Genie drag wands that Bawb mentioned. When they would chatter we just did a 90 degree angle and usually that cured the chatter. It was pulling against the grain of the install, try another angle and see if it continues.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
that's why i threw my Genie drag wand away.....

Richard...geeeez that was jus a phrase i used to express my extreme dislike for any drag tool.......
i prolly sold it to some OTHER dumb ass...............

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
:eekk:
You sir are the dumbest smart person I know! :p

We still use them on occasion, if the carpet is just moderately soiled they work pretty well. Dries fast and flushes well also. :headbang:

ya........but they still only clean ONE SIDE of the fibre...

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
I take it you didn't get the other hole glide from John. You need to use two hole glides, or sand off the sharp lips of your slot glide

Reactions: Mikey P

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I did get he oher holw glide. If that is the fix I will be very happy. I have a chattering restaurant tonight. I will try it.

When it doesnt chatter it is the best CGD wand I have ever used.

Reactions: Erik

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
When removing the old glide, be sure to use a rubber mallet if you have to tap it out. Also, you may have to re-adjust the height of the back glide. I take it you are cleaning an olefin carpet? Let us know how it works out.
Refer to the 3:30 mark in the video
[video=youtube_share;UlVDIV7Nga0]http://youtu.be/UlVDIV7Nga0[/video]

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
I did get he oher holw glide. If that is the fix I will be very happy. I have a chattering restaurant tonight. I will try it.

When it doesnt chatter it is the best CGD wand I have ever used.

Adam informed me that using two hole glides fixed his chattering problem. So, if anyone else is experiencing this, I would suggest using two hole glides.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
What are the average production rates w/ the zipper on a heavily soiled carpet (restaurant) on it's first cleaning? (with the furniture already moved out of the way).

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
does anyone use the zipper on residential carpet. I like the looks of the tool but we don't do enough commercial work to justify one. if it worked well on residential id get one

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Gary down in Boca uses one and does mostly residential.

I'm mostly residential as well, I'd use it for both.

Name
Jesse
Compared to a wand it's hard to carve your line to edge anything but a straight line, Because you cant use it on an angle it's not so great for occupied residential work.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
We have made some changes to the jet layout to better clean residential carpets w/o so much impact. This will eliminate any pile distortion on cut pile nylon.

Jesse- Why do you think the Zipper can't be used on an angle? Thanks, I appreciate all the feedback I can get!

Name
Jesse
I guess I shouldn't say you can't but it's awkward and just not as easy to use in tight spots as a good wand.

The floating handle is so long and straight that you sometimes have to hold the handles up very high to get around a piece of furniture or work through a tight spot. It becomes hard to steer sideways at times when the handle is up toward your chin. Sometimes, especially working under furniture you have to break suction with the rear to position the front into a spot that was just out of reach.

Sometimes there are small areas you just can't spray and rinse due to the shape of the head. A left/right swivel of the head would help in some spots but not in the others where your bumping furniture and the lack of spray to the rear lips prevents spray/rinse. Try to clean around table legs.

Because the handle doesn't lock (you should leave it that way) you can't just lower the handle to tip the head up when coming straight at a wall to suck up debris or clean to the base board. That leaves you either going sideways down the wall or doing a tip left/ tip right on each stroke. Wand gives more control.

We love ours in large areas and open spaces, it's almost perfect. I just don't think it's a labor saver in homes or tight office spaces.

Reactions: Erik
Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Extracting CGD is so costly unless you're using chimps & portables and if using chimps it's insane not to teach them how to vacuum and encap for appearance cleaning. Getting considerable profit out of extracting CGD with a sustainable system in this modern economic environment with any wand or rotary tool is like a dog spinning for his tail. Show me the money, that's what I think about when any new gizmo get produced in this industry. I've crunched numbers $$$ till I'm blue, vacuuming and encap are the only sustainable system today for CGD, that is if you want a serious return on your investment. If you want to ignore the numbers and be enslaved to TM's and gadgets and then there you go. This Zipper is one hell of a new gadget perhaps for a cleaner who's doing a restaurant at 11pm to keep cash flow going.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree Scott.

HWE is too labor intensive for CGD and difficult to get production numbers that will fit within most clients budgets. We've found it is best used to rinse out trouble areas or as a first time corrective cleaning followed by low moisture maintenance.

Not only is it harder work and at a smaller margin if priced at a competitive rate BUT the final product doesn't show your effort either. The encrap (Larry's term) looks better. :eekk:

:biggrin:

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Extracting CGD is so costly unless you're using chimps & portables and if using chimps it's insane not to teach them how to vacuum and encap for appearance cleaning. Getting considerable profit out of extracting CGD with a sustainable system in this modern economic environment with any wand or rotary tool is like a dog spinning for his tail. Show me the money, that's what I think about when any new gizmo get produced in this industry. I've crunched numbers $$$ till I'm blue, vacuuming and encap are the only sustainable system today for CGD, that is if you want a serious return on your investment. If you want to ignore the numbers and be enslaved to TM's and gadgets and then there you go. This Zipper is one hell of a new gadget perhaps for a cleaner who's doing a restaurant at 11pm to keep cash flow going.

Some of what you have posted is very true. We encap some of our commercial accounts periodically, however I have many very large accounts that insist on HWE.

Also, we clean a lot of schools. I would never even consider encaping their carpets. They have custodians that are paid full time. If I was ever to show them that I can surface clean the carpets w/o using a truck mount unit, it would be the last time I ever cleaned their carpets. With encap cleaning or as Larry would say "encrap", all of the soil is embedded deep down in the carpet, which shortens the lifespan of the carpet tremendously. How many times can you shove the dirt to the bottom of carpet w/o hot water extraction? If encap is a standalone system, why would most people not use it in a residential home?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom