1/2 or 3/4 ton van

Chris A

Name
Chris
I concur, any other OH guys wanna chime in. LArrEE? R-dubya?

John Watson

It is normaly best if you go to the 1 ton, if you are planning on a TM and all the bells an whistles. Thats what Helen and I have now, A 1 ton stretch van.

That being said, I have also had most others with TM in them too.
Duane Oxley has some great photo's of a unit in a mini van.
I had a PC Ledgend in a 1/2 ton ford van for light duty residentual, Worked great for what we used it for.
Shaft drives and slide in in cube vans, bread trucks and cab overs.

Depending on your budget, what type of machine, and what you are planning to carry is how you should make your decisission.

I, my self if at all possible would not today have less than a 3/4 Ton. Less wear and tare on the drive train, brakes and so on.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
3/4 ton is the practical minimum, with 1 ton being preferred.

Not to mention the drive-ability issues with a vehicle more suited for the continuous loading, the real advantage its in the durability of the truck systems. The brakes, tires, the rear end, the transmission of a van are all susceptible to extreme wear and high maintenance costs if the van is under continuous loading, as in a TM installation. Anyone who has used a 1/2 ton van for a TM, quickly understand the immense repair costs to the brakes and drive-line were a very expensive trade-off for their short term purchase cost savings.

Then there is the superior drive-ability of a higher capacity van. The ride height, the body roll, acceleration, deceleration and general handling characteristics are made vastly better by the use of a van with a higher weight capacity.

TimP

Get a 1 ton....you carry too much weight to cheapen out on the sturdyness of your truck

You can get by with 3/4 ton if you don't carry water in my opinion.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I have a half ton standard ford w/extra leaf works fine. front brakes every 40,000 or so. 157,000 miles same eng/tranny. next time tho Long wheel base heavier suspension. :wink:

G

I rekin a 1/2 ton would be ok for a pto.

I have a smaller slide in and a 1/2 ton Chevy.

My next van will be a 3/4 ton.

Chris A

Name
Chris
the PTO I used when I was employed was a CDS w/fresh in a 2500 Chevy extended :shock: , it was always in the shop for front end work. Plus me and the other tech drove it like we stole it.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Price the difference on draglinks..tierod ends...or even the price of brake parts are sky high...and if you take a one ton into a shop....

bend over!

TimP

bob vawter said:
Price the difference on draglinks..tierod ends...or even the price of brake parts are sky high...and if you take a one ton into a shop....

bend over!

But you shouldn't be in the shop or have near as many down days as a half ton. You buy a heavier duty truck so that you don't have to replace those parts near as often thus negating the higher cost.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I guess yous down there ain't got the potholes that we do in Michigan........the main streets around here have potholes wit the RE-ROD showing!
Tear a truck up quick!

Chris A

Name
Chris
I dunno Bawb-O, does your van bottom out when you hit a bump in the road, mine did.

Greenie

damn Bob...you are a motor head, u sposed' to give good advice, not cheap advice.

1 ton stretch is the minimum a guy would want if he's gonna be in this gig for any amount of time.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Josh said:
I rekin a 1/2 ton would be ok for a pto.

I have a smaller slide in and a 1/2 ton Chevy.

My next van will be a 3/4 ton.

" ok for a pto"...that could be the deciding factor. I find the 3/4 ton Express WM 1200 direct drive fully loaded with 110 gallons of fresh water and various machines and equipment and chemical jugs to have absolutely no handling problems at all even when I'm tearing around and racing people off the line. It might be different with a big slide-in that has a large motor. But the 3/4 ton seems plenty beefy to me. The 1/2 ton Econoline I had with a Steam Genie PTO got a little saggy when fully loaded until I put on more leaf springs. Then it was alright.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
an air cooled TM with no freshwater tank you can get away with a 3/4 ton but anything thing else you will really need a 1 ton

if you want to carry any amount of equipment then you need an extended 1 ton

davep105

Name
Dave Pires
I have my 405 with a 100 gallon fresh water tank in a 3/4 ton ford with a 5.4 liter. I'm only looking to get another year or so out of the van then going to put it in a 1 ton. I was little bit nervous about having all that weight in the van but its been ok so far. I think the way its driven makes a difference too. I try and leave plenty of room in front of me incase I need to make a quick stop.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Greenie said:
damn Bob...you are a motor head, u sposed' to give good advice, not cheap advice.

1 ton stretch is the minimum a guy would want if he's gonna be in this gig for any amount of time.

Come on Greenie...would i steer ya wrong?

Not once have i ever felt the need for a something bigger....than a half! First of all my Genie don't weigh 600 650lbs.......and i NEVER carry water...clean OR dirty.....half is perfect!

TimP

It may work for you bob, but for most of us it's not big enough.

I carry 85 gallons of fresh all the time. And possibly 80 or so in dirty too. that's 1200+ lbs right there. My machine is 800lbs. Plus hose reels and chemical rack. Probably 2-300 right there. I could be carrying 2500 lbs easy with my fat ass in the truck.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
HD 3/4 ton is fine.
(for a Ford anyway. Don't know what the GVW is on the 3/4 ton Chevys)

The GVW on my last 2 extended E-250s is 8450 pounds.
That's more than enough "if" your not carrying 1000 pounds of fresh water (120 gallons) along with large TM and gear

..L.T.A.

Greenie

bob vawter said:
Come on Greenie...would i steer ya wrong?

Not once have i ever felt the need for a something bigger....than a half! First of all my Genie don't weigh 600 650lbs.......and i NEVER carry water...clean OR dirty.....half is perfect!

Bawb,
most guys cary more than a wand and 5 gal of ghetto juice....

At least tell them the whole story, or some neebie is gonna screw up and think he can put his Cimex, and fresh water tank and Genesis all in a 1/2 ton.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Hi Jeff;

Welcome to the board.

You can work with a 3/4 ton van,
if you have a TM that weighs less than some of those steel heavyweights.

If you want to carry 75-100 gallons of water, then a 1 ton is a better choice.

Gas economy is usually better on the 3/4 ton models.

What size fourwinns do you have ?

Larry
Carlson Ski Rig

Able 1

Name
Keith
I have a 3/4 ton and with full 120 gal. fw tank, full gas tank, me and eveything I use I was around 8000 pounds... I took it to a quarry to have it weighed. Haven't done a break job and I'm at 46,000mi.. I do drive like a grandpa though because I hate when the water sloshes around and knocks of the caps off my fw tanks. I really haven't had any problems with my van yet..

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Able 1 said:
I have a 3/4 ton and with full 120 gal. fw tank, full gas tank, me and eveything I use I was around 8000 pounds... I took it to a quarry to have it weighed. Haven't done a break job and I'm at 46,000mi.. I do drive like a grandpa though because I hate when the water sloshes around and knocks of the caps off my fw tanks. I really haven't had any problems with my van yet..

one of my 3/4 tons Fords grossed out at 8500 with empty waste tank when I weighed it once

It rolled over 230K miles before it died in a violent roll over crash

the guys having problems with 3/4 ton vans much be driving Chevys or gawd forbid....a dUdge

..L.T.A.

jsimon

Larry Cobb said:
Hi Jeff;

Welcome to the board.

You can work with a 3/4 ton van if you have a TM that is lighter than most.

If you want to carry 75-100 gallons of water, then a 1 ton is a better choice.

Gas economy is usually better on the 3/4 ton models.

What size fourwinns do you have ?

Larry
Carlson Ski Rig

Thanks for the advice guys... Im gonna head for a 1 ton.....

Our boat is a 268 Vista... 28' 2" LOA

Is it boating season yet???

Jeff

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom