10,000 hours

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So after seeing the post about 10k hours on a kohler I wondered what is the life of a air cooled motor. I have a guy in town that had a 22hp kohler with 6000 hr on it and it was still running.

So what is the longest you have seen or had on a motor and what kind of machine was it in.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
So after seeing the post about 10k hours on a kohler I wondered what is the life of a air cooled motor. I have a guy in town that had a 22hp kohler with 6000 hr on it and it was still running.

So what is the longest you have seen or had on a motor and what kind of machine was it in.
For us with employees running TM's it just made sense to sell 'em off once the hit 5,000 hours. (Thetruck mounts, not the employees.)

Steve

PS Actually it wasn't usually the motors we had problems with. Just little nit-picky connections, seals, etc. The sort of stuff a motivated (and frugal) owner-operator would figure out. Our techs on the other hand would just shrug their shoulders, call in that "the machine won't run" and go smoke out on Mrs. Jones curb while I ran them out another machine. Wow, I don't miss those days!

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
I got 8,000 on a 20hp briggs, rear main blew out and was back ordered for two weeks, got crate engine 21hp in 2 days....sadly a 15 dollar seal would of cost me 10 grand to stop that truck. I still have the motor lol. Been thinking about making a sprinkler blowout unit

Last edited:

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Les should be able to tell us how long a briggs will last if you take care of it.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Louis;

10,000 hours is extremely rare !

The new Kohler 34 to 40 HP engine,

is the most trouble-free design I have seen.

It has an oil cooler inside the flywheel cover.

We have some in the 3000-4000 hour range, and still going without an overhaul

We had some Honda 24 HP's going that many hours also.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom