10 Floor Hose Drop.....

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
First in my 35 years of cleaning......was just about to walk my hoses down from the 10th floor to the 4th, and the cuff pulled off my old gray "stairwell hose". It's a 100 footer that I drop down stairwells when cleaning up high. I just watched it fall.....what a noise it made. Wish I had a video of it falling. Fortuneatly, no one was looking up or in the stairwell. No damage......just had to clean my shorts after that! I'm glad it wasn't the pressure hose....it would have done some damage and probably broke.

Billy

Name
BH
You was lucky for sure.

Whenever we have a tall drop we do what I thought was overkill with our hoses but hearing your experience today I no longer believe it is overkill.

I am very glad no one was hurt.

mcatt

Name
Mike
Man that was a close one. At least duct tape the connectors to prevent that in the future. Or you can get a few of those Velcro straps.

Billy

Name
BH
Lee Stockwell said:
Never trust velcro for vertical drops.

I use a small rope with a specialty stainless fitting that hooks the actual hoses together so if the cuffs fail the hoses stay connected. It does work because my old cool cuffs wouldn't stay connected sometimes when no vac present.

It is a scary feeling to see 2.5" hose hanging un-cuffed for sure.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
rwcarpet said:
First in my 35 years of cleaning......was just about to walk my hoses down from the 10th floor to the 4th, and the cuff pulled off my old gray "stairwell hose". It's a 100 footer that I drop down stairwells when cleaning up high. I just watched it fall.....what a noise it made. Wish I had a video of it falling. Fortuneatly, no one was looking up or in the stairwell. No damage......just had to clean my shorts after that! I'm glad it wasn't the pressure hose....it would have done some damage and probably broke.

Have had this happen before and it is very dangerous especially with 2.5. With us the velcroe strap hook thing came undone. Thankfully no one was in the stairwell.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
We also tie off at every third floor. The highest I've been was nine and the hose can be very heavy. We use motorcycle tie down straps, not real thick ones. We knot it at the hose and double knot it around a banister. It works great for us and it's real easy to untie.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Lee Stockwell said:
I tie it off with "engineering wire" at least every third floor. I use only fifties.[/quote/]

I USUALLY tie off every 2nd or 3rd floor, but didn't this time. That friggen hose gets heavy when it's hangin' 100 feet straight down. I also have a helper walk the hose down, but I was in a hurry. And the velcro hose hooks......they're good for 1 floor, maybe 2.

Lesson learned.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Maybe you should try sections of PVC tube.

Run it up the stair well, inserting each new one into the one before it. It can't fall, if it's enclosed in the hand railing and there'll be no "accordion effect" to deal with while vacuuming.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Duane Oxley said:
Maybe you should try sections of PVC tube.

Run it up the stair well, inserting each new one into the one before it. It can't fall, if it's enclosed in the hand railing and there'll be no "accordion effect" to deal with while vacuuming.

Any remodels or new buildings with this company will have my input......permenent 2 1/2 PVC and a pressure line right up the plumbing chase. Valves on each floor, hook up outside the building for security.

had that happen to me luckily it was only 4 stories and i had to clean my shorts out on that one.. i can imagine 10... wow..

Able 1

Name
Keith
I like the black adjustable bungee cords, they hold very well even 2.5 to the forth floor..

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Time for Flash Cuffs. They will not pull apart. We even used them in a tug of war. Vac hose stretched but the cuffs did not separate.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
scottw said:
Time for Flash Cuffs. They will not pull apart. We even used them in a tug of war. Vac hose stretched but the cuffs did not separate.

Actually, I didn't check the screw on cuffs of my "stairwell" hose. My mistake....it just got away from me....100 foot straight down is.......heavy!!! I shouldn't have been holding it at the cuff.

Able 1

Name
Keith
scottw said:

Not sure of a cuff on the market that would come apart in a "tug of war"...

Brian H

Name
Brian H
A long time ago at a another company far far away ( okay, the next city over), we had a new assistant let the vac go from 18 stories up while we were switching floors. Then he did it again from the 15th floor. That was his last day...

One of the reasons we bungie cord it at least every 3rd floor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom