12v battery explode.

Becker

Name
Becker
Ever had it happen?

Mine nearly explored today. Well some might say it did.

Blew the caps right off.

Connor

Name
Connor
No, did it also overflow the side vent? Did somebody top it off with tap water instead of distilled?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Becker;

Charging batteries will generate Hydrogen gas.

It is very explosive.

I was jumping a friends battery in darkness one night.

Hooked up the cables correctly. Let the low battery charge for about 10 minutes.

Told him to try the starter.

KABOOM . . . loud explosion blew the entire top off the low battery.

Larry

Connor

Name
Connor
Becker said:
Never had the caps off it. Also split the side. Glad I use battery box also.

Battery box? Is this something that you added?

Becker

Name
Becker
Connor said:
Becker said:
Never had the caps off it. Also split the side. Glad I use battery box also.

Battery box? Is this something that you added?

Battery sits in a box attached to the waste tank.
So I'm glad the battery was sitting inside of a "plastic battery box" so that because not only did the caps blow off, but the side of the battery split.
So the battery box served a great purpose even though it split half way down it's side it retained all the acid.

Bought a new battery, new box, installed and is good as new.

Sorry no pics, happened in the dark, got new battery on the way home and gave the old as a core, box and all.

Glad I had a nice BM this AM, otherwise when the battery blew I might have crapped myself as I was in the van beside the machine.

Exciting times.

Connor

Name
Connor
I was told by some redneck van dwellers that the use of a standard auto battery in a sealed battery box may explode and to never use a regular battery inside of a vehicle. Only sealed batteries inside the vehicle ever. I don't know if your box was sealed or not, but a sealed "maintenance free" battery is what is recommended.

I don't know if this has any bearing on what happened, but that's all I got.

Becker

Name
Becker
It is a maintenance free battery, I use a battery box, but not the top, I leave it open..

Guy at the auto store acted as if he sees it all the time.

Luckily it happened on a vacant that I tried to finish off the day with and clear up Thursday a bit.
So much for that plan..

Only 2 more work days till my winter break.. Off till Jan at least Jan 3rd or 5th..

Connor

Name
Connor
I've never seen a maintenance free with caps. What brand was it?

Name
Lee Stockwell
My son Jason had it happen while jumping the TM off with the van as he was removing the cables. Somehow blew the top off the van battery.

Shortly after midnight while cleaning Blockbuster at the front of a 24hr Walmart.

Fortunately he wasn't hurt badly, but sure could have been much worse.

Connor

Name
Connor
I think that's why they say to ground to the vehicle away from the battery. (not that I've ever done it like that) :oops:

Becker

Name
Becker
Good lord I don't know.

Ya want the number of the store I dropped it off at?
They are closed now but you can call them in the AM. I'm sure they would be happy to unwrap it from the hazmat bags they put it in and tell ya.

It has caps, but they are not to be removed.. Guess they battery had other plans.

I think I have a deep cycle marina battery in the garage maintenance free with caps..

Don't know what to tell you Connor.

Many brands have caps, but most are hidden under labels. Or just not meant to be removed.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
When I worked a Kodak one of my guys had one explode when he was on the forklift. he was sitting on it. It shook him up good. Guy was shaking the rest of the day.
The next day the pallet jack batteries went and started a fire on the same guy. He was ready to go home that day.

Connor

Name
Connor
Becker said:
Good lord I don't know.

Ya want the number of the store I dropped it off at?
They are closed now but you can call them in the AM. I'm sure they would be happy to unwrap it from the hazmat bags they put it in and tell ya.

Well, yeah, sure, Thanks, Becky. (Sorry you're on your period the week of Christmas.)

Back
Top Bottom