12volt toggle only last about 2 weeks.

Weebco

Name
Gary Wiebe
My 12 volt toggle switch only last about 2 weeks, 20 amps. This turns my pump for fresh water on and off. I need one that last a lot longer than that. Any Ideas?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
12 volt toggles come in different amp ratings....it should be stamped on the switch....make sure you get one that is rated for what you are using it for...if you are rated for 20 amps and you are using a 15....and your machine is maxing it out...it will fry the switch....

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
then it could be over amping and the fuse is not doing its job and the next weak link is the switch...

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Get a toggle that has a wider margin of "tolerance", for lack of a better way to say it.

In other words, try one that's rated at 30 AMPS or more.

(Then again, the brand you have may not be that great- made in China, etc. So be sure to get a different brand as well, while you're at it.)

Weebco

Name
Gary Wiebe
ok, here is what I did this morning, went to Ace Hardware and bought a new Heavy Duty Toggle Switch 20 amp , made in China. New Toggle Switch Covers Weatherproof, also made in China for Ace Hardware.Star brite liquid electrical tape. I triple coated the toggle with Star brite, I hope my toggle switch will last much longer, if not I will try the other suggestions mentioned!!!

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Is this switch rated for 12V DC 20 Amps?

A switch only rated for 120V AC 20 Amps is a different beast altogether. DC current is, as a rule harder on most switch contacts.

Mechanical switches do not open instantaneously, Instead, dielectric strength builds as the mechanical contacts of the switch separate. Therefore, there will be a short arc until the dielectric strength is sufficient to hold off the driving voltage.

In an AC circuit, this interruption process is assisted by the fact that there is a natural 'current zero' that occurs twice during each cycle. But there are no natural current zeros in a DC circuit. As a result, the actual stress on the contacts will be greater in a DC circuit than in an AC circuit with the same voltage and current. Or saying it differently, if the physical capabilities of the switch are fixed, then it will have to be derated when applied in a DC circuit where the physical stresses associated with interruption will tend to be greater.

Often the least expensive solution is to use an intermediate relay that better handles DC loads. And then only use the actual toggle switch to control the relay. For this reason you will often find no less than 4, and as many as 7 relays within the electrical circuits making up a truck-mount.

But, I think you should be able to find a toggle switch capable for your uses. Usually a store that stocks switched specifically for automotive applications may have a toggle switch with a design friendly to higher DC amperage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom