Frank Mendo
Gosh darnit,
I really don't want to buy both.
Maybe in the future, but not now.
I need a machine for 3 things.
Prespray agitation.
Post padding
Light Padcapping

Can you effectively padcap with a 175, and how much longer will it take?
Can you effectively agitate with a orbital, and how much longer will it take?

Anyone effectively using only one machine for all these applications?

Name
Eric Valentine
A 175 would be a better choice if you can only afford one machine and is a lot more versatile.
An OP can effectively agitate prespray, but I don't know how much longer it would take.
Padcapping/bonnet cleaning with a 175 has been done for years by several franchises. Having used an OP (albeit for a short time at MyteeMikeyFest), it will do better than a 175.
I have had a 175 since starting cleaning carpets, and it has a permanent spot in the van, but still want an OP machine so I can add padcapping as an option (more than a few houses I have cleaned would do better with OP cleaning).

P.S. What Mikey said

lance

It really depends on what you are trying to do and how well you want to do it. A 175 will not pad anything as well as an OP machine. But if you want to do just a good "once over" to pick up extra moisture then you might be happy with the results of the rotary.

For padcapping an OP is necessary. It's orbital action gives you what is needed to do the job. A rotary with bonnets does not dig as deep or grab as much dirt as the OP does.

I use a small 15 inch OP machine and cotton pads to aggitate with. You can move it slow or fast, it goes up and back not side to side. It does a very good job.

A rotary cost less than an OP machine usually. But the OP can do so much just by itself. I will never get rid of mine.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
lance said:
It really depends on what you are trying to do and how well you want to do it.

True.
I want to do it right once. I really want to take advantage of the orbital action in regards to padcapping. I know I can get away with either machine, but if someone can convince me the orbital can agitate just as good, I think I would have to go with an orbital. I think everyone would agree an OP machine flat out beats a 175 for padding due to it's action. It's using the orbital for agitation, is what I haven't seen too many cheerleaders for. For some reason I seem to remember reading, that scrubbing with a big orbital can be a lot slower. That is the only thing stopping me from getting an orbital.
It seems most guys will die clutching their 175's.
Am I right in assuming, that it is the scrubbing with an orbital that is the weak link here? If it agitated as well as a 175, wouldn't it be the only machine anyone had.
Anyone here that throws the orbital on the van before a 175? (Other than John G. shiteatinggrin )

lance

Yes, the biggest complaint is that it takes more time to scrub with an OP than with a rotary. But how much more time depends on the user. My little OP with a wet cotton pad does scrub very well. I don't have a 175 to compare it to but once i tried the OP i didn't want a rotary.

I think a 175 is popular because a lot of guys have used them, they last a long time, and they scrub very well with a brush and you don't have pads to clean. For me the OP is very easy to use even in small places.

RickL

If I were only doing Carpets and $$$ weren't a consideration. I would definatley take an OP over a rotary for all the duties you mentioned. Personally I thing it scrubs better, padcaps better and is a great all around machine. I had a smaller 15" Challenger and lighter than my 17" rotary.
But I had both and considering the purchase expense of the OP I would probably chose the 175 to save some money if that was a factor.
(try to get Jeremy to sell you the one he just was high bidder on !gotcha! )

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
if you just are going to start out with one get a 175, and later when you get more biz add on a op. plus if $$$ is a concern you can pick up a used one on craigslist for 150 dollars.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
If you primarily do residential I'd go with the rotary... Pick up a few bonnets, a tank and a shampoo brush. Both will do what you want but the rotary is a bit faster on residential & gets you there for a bit less $. Besides you can always add an OP after you find the work... If you're looking for more commercial in the 3000+ sq ft range go with the OP... It's what I primarily clean with and I love the jigglers, especially on commercial.

Why not get a dual speed 175/300 machine?

I cleaned with 300 rpms on carpet for years with fantastic results. It's great for padding.

Then you can dial it down to 175 for encapping or using the Scrub3 attachment.

I'm not sure why these dual speed machines aren't more popular.

DavidVB

I agree with the 2 speed rotary. More variety in bonnets or pads. Safer on cut pile. Smoother to operate. Less money. Better made.

OP's are floor sanders converted to carpet cleaning machines. I've had several. Never again.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I prefer and use an OP for the three jobs you mentioned. Can seem a little slower because it's digging in vs. skimming over.

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
I have both. The OP machine is perfect for all of your needs. I don't think that the op takes longer to scrub. With that said I only agitate the real nasties and didn't even srcub them until recently.

Now when I used to use a porty I would scrub almost everything and I only had a 175. Now I have both and the only thing I do with the 175 is vct. And only then because the orbital flicks the stripper around more than I care for.

I bonnetted a lot of commercial (back when I used to do a lot of commercial) and if not awful dirty the 175 did okay. Now if I had to dry clean (or encap or whatever you want to call it...) a commercial I wouldn't even consider using the 175. The orbital is that much better.

I don't know who told you the OP takes longer to scrub but think about this, If you only had one you wouldn't really miss the other so if it's money by the 175 if it's not money then buy the OP.

Ken.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I appreciate all the good insights from everyone.
Still a tough decision.
Let's hammer this out and hear from a couple'o more veterans.

John G.

I agree with the 2 speed rotary. More variety in bonnets or pads. Safer on cut pile. Smoother to operate. Less money. Better made.

OP's are floor sanders converted to carpet cleaning machines. I've had several. Never again.

Come on Jay, ole Blue is nothing like the newer machines.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I have a 175 and I use it for scrubbing & pad encapping. But, most of the time for a little scrubbing in residential I use my 12" orbitec. You can easily carry it in with one hand and It's great for scrubbing infront of furniture, halls baths and fantastic for steps. On encap jobs I use the 175 and save the orbitec for the steps using a bonnett pad.

I lugged a 175 into jobs for almost 20 years. That's enough!!

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
If agitating with an op machine, what pads for residential?
What pads for agitating commercial?
Would you still use the red and white scrub pads, or are they too aggressive with the increased oscillation?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
goomes said:
If agitating with an op machine, what pads for residential?
What pads for agitating commercial?
Would you still use the red and white scrub pads, or are they too aggressive with the increased oscillation?

Soft Tuway (I think I got them from Cobb's many years ago-they last forever) for most residential. Green stripe (from any janitorial supply) for most commercial. Red pads and white pads are not real aggressive for most commercial. I've used green and blue.

The 3M-type fiber pads chew up the velcro on OP drivers due to their abrasive nature. Green stripes seem to scrub at least as well as fiber pads.

John G.

Gladiator pads absorb more, run MUCH smoother, are slicker, and last a couple of hundred uses.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
For pads on residential I'd reccomend Tuway thin one bonnets &/or Gladiator Pads.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom