2 person crews?

LeeCory

I read a post where someone mentioned that if he had a two person crew he could do things differently.

Are there guys out there that do not have an employee? I can't imagine going and working without a second guy. How do you guys get anything done in a large house? If a large job took me 4 or 5 hours, I can't imagine what it would be all by myself. Also that would mean that you couldn't send your guy out on small jobs if you want to relax.

Why would a guy want to beat himself up by wanting to do everything on his own? Not to mention it would seriously limit the amount of work you can do.

TimP

It's not a matter of not wanting the help. It's a matter of not having enough work to keep an employee paid and working consistently. I'd love to have a full time helper however I don't even have enough work to keep a guy going 40 hrs a week. Hell even 20 hours for that matter.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I think 2 men crews would only work when one of the guys is the O/O this way he can have a precise system in place to help the work go fast. Otherwise 2 men crews are a waste, you are paying 2 guys while traveling, 2 guys distract one another.

TimP

I'd suggest that you guys that have crews go out and do work that having 2 people on the truck will also cut down on liability for the workers. Some people if they don't like you could put blame on a guy just because you looked at them wrong. It's always good to have a second person there to have a witness in case of some psychotic customer who wants to put someone behind bars just because they get a thrill out of ruining someones life.

I would think it would be smart. And I think it's the reason SS runs 2 man crews.

LeeCory

I can understand if you don't have the work, but that's about it.

I don't understand what you mean Jim. "It's only as hard as you make it" I don't want to make it hard, but there are lots of things that need done. Setting up, vac if needed, prespray, doing the cleaning, grooming, wrapping up. And if there is furniture to move a whole lot more to do. All that stuff adds up unless it is only a one room job that is close to the van. Most jobs don't seem to be that easy.

If I were Superman maybe it would be no prob, but if I had to do everything myself I would rather tie a rope around my neck.

Not only can't I do it all myself but I have another full time guy starting the first of June along with a part timer. I don't like booking out 2 or 3 weeks so I plan on starting 10 - 12 hour days and maybe half a day on Saturday.

I am 43 years old and can already tell that I will not last forever... lol

Pardon me, but I'm going to go hang upside down on my inversion table and then get back to work...

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Only running with one guy could aslo have to do with the quality of workers in your area. I know of quite a few people in my area that run solo because they can't find a helper worth anything.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I don't have enough work to pay a helper. I take my oldest boy (14 yrs old) along on the weekends to help and it makes things alot easier. he will be on the truck all summer. He also seems to attract tips. I usually introduce him to the customer and they appreciate the father/son thing and he gets tips quite often.

Name
steve snail
Not to mention it would seriously limit the amount of work you can do.

I would be willing to bet that an oo working full time alone "nets" more $. A full up oo charges more in most cases. Customers like the owners that take their time, vs the track meet one can witness with some companies. Much easier to pull the plug in the winter and go on extended vacation also.

43 and playing the age card, tisk tisk!

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I work entirely by myself including answering the calls which are forwarded to my cell and right now in the busy season I do 4 or 5 jobs a day. You just learn to work more efficiently and plan your schedule appropriately. All equipment you use should be capable of producing high volume high speed cleaning results. As you are finding out the weak link is your own physicality. It is essential that you keep yourself in top shape and strengthen your weaknesses. The money you don't pay employees and for damage claims and other wastes goes right into the bank. Life is good and stress-free.

LeeCory

Please share! I would like to know which steps to skip.

Jim, do you work by yourself? I can only imagine that a Vortex would reap great rewards with a crew running it.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
LeeCory said:
Please share! I would like to know which steps to skip.

The only step you need to skip is stop being a pussy who says he can't do it.

John Watson

I know I am a lucky one here, I gots me a Helen. It is pure hell on the days her RA acts up and I got to do it my own damn self. She sometimes rides along on those days just for moral support. (And makes sure I don't skip none of our procedures!!!)

That part of the reason we just try to schedule 2 job a day, which could mean a long day if it is for 2 complete homes. so we play with the schedule book. Big one if possible in the morning, smaller in the afternoon. sometimes 3 smaller in a day like to day a 600 sqft, church foyer, mt 1100 sqft double wide and a 600 sqft 2 bed apt. all 3 were pre vacuumed we just had to do the edges.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Jim, do you work by yourself? I can only imagine that a Vortex would reap great rewards with a crew running it.

I work alone.....

there is no need for me to hook to wands to my truck.....
there is no need for me to hire a second person...

I average 4 jobs a day 5 to 6 days a week...and I could still add another and be comfortable.......
this is not difficult...you just have to work efficient and smart...

I will be 45 on Sunday.....If and when the day comes I worry about straining my uterus dragging in a hose or pushing a wand ..I will get a desk job....

LeeCory

straining your uterus.... very cute

A matter of preference yes. Whether you do all the work yourself, or have a 2 person crew you can and still should work smart.

I've tried it both ways and it sure is nice to be able to send they guys out when you have other things you would like to do instead of pushing a wand or dragging hoses.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
..............according to your profile you have been doing this for 10 years...and your tell us you don't have it figured out yet ??????

we are not re-eventing the wheel here....were just cleaning carpet.....

R

R W

For you "work aloners".....the day will come when you WISH you had brought or trained a helper. After 30 years on the wand, it will beat you down. I've always been lucky enough to have 4 sons to help out at any given time. Plus, if you work well together, it really speeds up the job.

As for the customers point of view, "how you gonna move all that furniture by your self"??? I think a second person on the job shows your customers that you are there to do a complete job.

As for empties.......I did 2 alone today. The landlords are not going to question you "where's the helper"???

LeeCory

Jim, what's with the grumpiness? This isn't an argument. I don't care how long I have been in business, I doubt I will ever have everything "figured" out. If you have everything figured out that is great for you.

It sounds like you guys that are lone workers are happy as clams in butter. I'm happy if you are.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
There seems to be a double question here.

Should owner operators have a helper?

Is a one man or two man crew better / more efficient?

Question one depends on the owner, but there may be a time when you want to keep the business running if you're on vacation or hurt.

Question two can be debated as to preferences and what type of client you have, but we've studied this and found that two guys in two trucks bring in significantly more money that two guys in one truck.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
2 person crews work much more efficiently than 1 for us and bring in far more revenue than the additional person costs. we do send 1 person out for many evening jobs

DevilDog

When will you people learn? Two people crews are BY FAR the best. Employees are happier. They stay fresher. They do a better job.

I have done it both ways on and off for 15 years. Two person crews are soooooooooooo much better it is hard to understand why anyone would even argue!

DevilDog

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Been on my own since 92, porty and TM work. I just take it one piece at a time, find the little tools that make life easier, like a lift buddy and a couple bags of good sliders, a vacuum I can trust, and the Sebo. and now with the Greenhorn wand and glide, it doesn't get much easier. Good prespray helps tremendously- Thanks Les.

I have worked with a helper. And it can work better, depends if you have to baby-sit them or not. If they are trained well and know what to do they can be a great asset, otherwise they are a great pain in the ass.

I've also worked with a other O/O's on jobs, boy does that work slick. We both can think a couple steps ahead and know what the other needs before he asks, or see that a spot needs treating, or furniture moved.

But overall, I'm okay being on my own, and prefer it. I just take things slow and easy, each step at a time, and the job turns out great. I can't do 4 or 5 jobs a day like Jim, I'm much slower. But I do enough.

Yes, there is more risk, and if I get hurt the work stops, but until I can afford to pay for 2 families, mine and my helper's, I'll just have to keep faith.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I have worked alone for 20 years. I like me. I don't like having to put up with a helper ... talking all the time ... switching channels on the radio station ... watching me all the time ... asking stupid questions. I don't like not being able to pull the van over and take a piss in a coke can, or fart in the vacuum hose on jobs.

My son-in-law wants to come to work for me ... he makes more than I do NOW on his real job.

I'll hire him just as soon as Jon-Don gets their marketing program out.

Any day ...

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Shawn...my kid that jus got outta the hoosegow......can work ANY two man crew into the ground...i've NEVER seen anyone lik him.......he's on the truck wit Kelly right now!
They had four jobs out by noon.....didn't start till 9 this morning

Rex Tyus

When I have my assistant I do twice the daily volume I do by myself. When Cleaning we maintain the same $ per man hour it is the travel time that brings down the daily man hour rate. I completely understand all the reasons not to have someone else to be responsible for. I however am fortunate as my 19 yr old step son is my assistant. He is gone until the middle of June to visit his Biological father. It sucks to work alone once you get accustomed to help.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Wow, I just spent this week trying to work through a back injury. I Had been at home for 2 weeks with a pinched nerve (siatic) in my back/upper thigh. Did nothing for 2 weeks, It hurt bad. Sure makes you think that a helper is in my companys future. In the meantime I am using a fellow O/O as a sub when I am overloaded with work. My 16 year old son will also work with me this summer. It sucks to clean carpet when your body hurts.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
When I started, I worked with a guy that I liked and we worked together well, but I've always been happier working alone. I can move more alone than most of the guys will move with three guys helping them. It's all in what you want to do.
I totally agree with Steve, Art and Jim.

R

R W

So Marty....you can get it in the hole of a coke can??? I personally use McDonalds coffee cups. I keep a stack in the door of my van. Thank God for shorts.

Ever had to crawl up in the back of your van to take a leak, because you didn't want to use the custys restroom?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom