200 point drop on pressure gauge

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
The water pressure gauge on my mytee porty drops 200 points when trigger is pulled. filters are clean. I installed a new water pump-- that was a pain-- and still have a 200 point drop. I'm running a 9 flow on the wand. Could it be the pressure regulator or gauge that's the problem? Or does the porty have to operate for a while before the system works properly after the hoses are disconnected?

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
the pump is the pumptec 500 psi 205v-160/m58, 120v. its the same as the original pump.. never noticed this much of a drop before. the pressure at the wand seems ok though.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
I don't have a separate porty wand. Never seemed to be a problem b4 since I'm using the M5 with vac in series. Carpets dry in about 3-4 hours.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I don't think your pump can do much better than 250 psi at that flow - I would not expect any more than that.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
We used these portys on that 1600 chair job and them continuously for about 10 hours per day for 6 days.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Sounds like your pump is fine. Running 9 flow is a lot of flow so naturally there's going to be a pressure drop at the gauge. If the pressure seems fine I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: dgardner

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Wow, earning their keep for sure!

Yeah..I was impressed with the Mytee endurance-- everything and everyone after THAT job needed repairs.. the next time the price will be at least 50% higher.

Ok Just found out the problem-- pump is rated at 2.21 gpm openflow.. haha. Guess I just have a heightened awareness of the pressure?? But machanic just said it could also be a worn bullet inside the pressure regulator.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Is the guage reading dropping cause youre flowing thru an opening (via the jets) therfore its not under as much pressure .. when you let off the trigger it shoots back up to regulated pressure cause theres no escape

if its consistant without fluctuating and the pressure is good at the wand then I wouldnt worry

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Agreed. Here's Pumptec's chart. The best you can hope for with the 160 cam is 1.5 gpm. You will experience a large pressure drop with any jetting above 04.

pumptev205V.jpg

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I agree, you are opening the flow to close to max and you are lucky it only show a pressure drop of 200, realistically it should be greater drop.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
You wore it out bypassing all the water pressure on the upholstery cleaning job. Get a bullet, lube it too with that sticky gooey grease.

Do u mean that white lithium grease?
I turned down the pressure on my porty-- but im sure the chimps did not.
thanks for your help.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Agreed. Here's Pumptec's chart. The best you can hope for with the 160 cam is 1.5 gpm. You will experience a large pressure drop with any jetting above 04.

View attachment 7630

I think Pumptecs chart is correct, but the spec list is confusing, as they list a .135 cam delivering 2.21 gpm. which makes no sense to me based on the other components.

Proper cam offset for an M5/205v/M58 motor is 160.

Reactions: dgardner

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I just spoke to Pumptec, 2.21 spec is OPEN FLOW, where the chart factors in jet/flow indicated by the black numbers (3,4,5) along the line.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom