2008 Butler System RPM and speed control issues

Name
Andrew
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and was hoping for some help. I purchased a 2008 Butler System with a brand new engine and transmission a couple of months ago. Now the RPM's are too high and the drive shaft is vibrating more than normal. Called Butler and they said that the Tachometer might be reading wrong and that's all they could think of because you can't adjust the RPMs on these "newer" versions of the butler it's all electronically controlled. I have an appointment on Tuesday to get all the belts replaced by my mechanic. But I'm concerned about the high RPM and drive shaft vibration...any ideas?

Thank you

-Andrew

Name
Andrew
Must have been recently because it certainly wasn't like this when I purchased it. I had it winterized and finally started using it about a week ago. Everything else works fine on it and I make sure the A.c. is turned off while it's running. Someone on ***************** suggested bearings or worn belts so I'm gonna get the belts replaced but I have my doubts that it'll fix the issue :dejection:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Does it do it all the time or just now and then?

We had one of our Butlers last month that the rpm's were way higher than normal. Took it to the mechanic and he couldn't find anything wrong. Took it to the distributors and he also couldn't find anything. Now it's fine, its been ok for 3 weeks. :headscratch:

Name
Andrew
Sometimes the tachometer reads that its still in the ok range (right on the edge of red) and sometimes it reads 400 or so over...it is odd. And my last Butler was a 2002 and I don' recall the drive shaft having as much shaking as this one...its not horrible but it's more than normal.

Name
Andrew
Well they aren't built to last like they used to..my 2000 still works great and has 200k on it and over 10k hours on the butler..just was thinking this would be an upgrade but so far it's been a big headache :eekk:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Sometimes the tachometer reads that its still in the ok range (right on the edge of red) and sometimes it reads 400 or so over...it is odd. And my last Butler was a 2002 and I don' recall the drive shaft having as much shaking as this one...its not horrible but it's more than normal.
Yep our drive shaft was making a horrible noise. Perfect now. Wish I knew what caused it but it's no longer doing it.

Name
Andrew
Well I'm pretty much clueless on what to do about it at this point my mechanic might be able to help diagnose it he's actually pretty good with the Butler system he's done work on my old one plenty of times i.e. replacing the silencer and rebuilt a blower. Maybe he can figure it out :shifty:

J

JS41035

If you have a vibration on the driveshaft it could be a bad clutch or bearing. If you aren’t very mechanicaly inclines I would recommend taking it to a local truckmount shop to work on it. Jondon and interlink should both be reasonably familar with Butler stuff. Just make sure it’s someone who understands and has installed direct drive systems in the past. You can get a hundred different potential diagnosis ideas from forums. While that can be helpful,it can also just really confuse and disorient you if you aren’t careful. I would guess that both issues are related to the newly installed Engine. Probably a very simple fix. Maybe something did not get aligned perfectly. But remember Butler didn’t do that install.
Of course if you just wanna give up on that piece of junk give me a call and I’ll give you some quick cash.:lol::lol:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Check the fan clutch first. That will also cause a vibration going down the road if they get bad or worn a bit. It is an after-market clutch which is also non-thermal that you will want to get from Butler

Name
Matt Middleton
You are correct. I couldn't see it either but we checked everything else and new belts fixed the vibration and rpms going up and down.

Reactions: Jimmy L
Name
Andrew
That's the next step is to replace the belts because I have no idea when the last owner replaced them :confusedd: I really hope it's not something expensive because I am out of money after buying this and I'm a one guy operation.:frown:

Name
Matt Middleton
Actually, my best advice should have been to simply call Butler and speak to a service tech.

They have the answers and they are free. Butler has NEVER given me incorrect solutions. After a while you just want it fixed!

Reactions: Bob Pruitt
Name
Andrew
Actually, my best advice should have been to simply call Butler and speak to a service tech.

They have the answers and they are free. Butler has NEVER given me incorrect solutions. After a while you just want it fixed!

I did call them and they said the tachometer might be faulty which might explain the irratic Rpms on the gauge with no change in sound from the machine...and the belts seem pretty loose so I'm guessing that could cause some vibration...its really not crazy shaky but just not what I'm used to seeing :headscratch: I've gotten through tons of problems ok this year so I have faith I can get through this one

Name
Steve Lawrence
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and was hoping for some help. I purchased a 2008 Butler System with a brand new engine and transmission a couple of months ago. Now the RPM's are too high and the drive shaft is vibrating more than normal. Called Butler and they said that the Tachometer might be reading wrong and that's all they could think of because you can't adjust the RPMs on these "newer" versions of the butler it's all electronically controlled. I have an appointment on Tuesday to get all the belts replaced by my mechanic. But I'm concerned about the high RPM and drive shaft vibration...any ideas?

Thank you

-Andrew

Andrew,
If you call Butler, ask for Greg Steve. He helped me adjust RPM's on a newer Butler with the new electronic speed control. It's a factory adjustment but not that hard to do. You'll need a tiny screwdriver and a flashlight but you may be able to adjust RPM's down to the proper setting this way.

Name
Andrew
Andrew,
If you call Butler, ask for Greg Steve. He helped me adjust RPM's on a newer Butler with the new electronic speed control. It's a factory adjustment but not that hard to do. You'll need a tiny screwdriver and a flashlight but you may be able to adjust RPM's down to the proper setting this way.

Wow really? I had no idea that was possible because Louis from Butler told me they can't be adjusted

Name
Andrew
Andrew,

Is that done in the van engine or under the Butler lid?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom