2011 is coming to a close. Happy :)

Becker

Name
Becker
I've got 6 more work days ahead of me for 2011.

Looks like the numbers will hammer out as follows.

Total jobs about 670

Gross sales were record setting.

Best months in order
SEPT
AUG
JULY
JUNE
APRIL
OCT
MARCH
NOV
MAY
DEC
FEB
JAN

May was way way off this year.... Looking back still not sure why, but we had a record cold spring..

Becker

Name
Becker
Mikey P said:
Thanks for the continuous updates to your fascinating business.

Ok Mike.. Shall I stop posting..

Brain produces enough vital topics to keep the avg numbers up..
Ok, maybe not vital, but between his own posts and his own replies to his posts keeps the numbers up.

dday

I have followed Becker's posts throughout the year and I hope he continues.

My Best Months in Order:

November
October
September
December
June
May
April
July
August
January
February
March

Over the years, my business has been fairly predictable by quarter:

Q1: Very low % of total sales for the year
Q2: Second highest % of total sales for the year
Q3: Third highest % of total sales for the year. Sales drop from Q2 levels, usually precipitously. I consider the Summer to be "Little Winter" around here. Sales are always higher in Summer than during the winter, but always much weaker than I'd like to see.
Q4: Always the highest % of my sales for the year - except for 2008 where my business dropped off a cliff if I recall. If it didn't fall off a cliff, it sure felt like it.

I could really work April-May-June and then October-November-December and take off the other six months with very little impact on my sales and my net profit. I am working hard to change that ... I am hoping the seeds I've sown in 2011 will reap benefits in 2012.

All in all, I went into 2011 with high hopes after getting crushed 2008-2010, and I am pleased with the results. Sales look to finish about 28% higher than last year. My net, however, will not expand as much as one would expect with such an increase in gross as I have increased my advertising and marketing costs. But all of those increased costs and efforts are those seeds which I hope will bear fruit throughout 2012.

For the first time in a long time I am excited about my business and my prospects again. Part of my 2012 marketing plan is a contest with myself to see how busy I can be in Q1.

I have high hopes for 2012, and though I have not recovered to pre-recession levels yet, my planned goal for 2012 is not merely a full recovery to pre-recession levels, but an all-time high for both gross and net. 2011 has been a rebuilding, repositioning, and refocusing year for me. I have high hopes that 2012 is a breakout to the upside year for me.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Becker said:
Mikey P said:
Thanks for the continuous updates to your fascinating business.

Ok Mike.. Shall I stop posting..

Brain produces enough vital topics to keep the avg numbers up..
Ok, maybe not vital, but between his own posts and his own replies to his posts keeps the numbers up.
Yeah, gotta agree with Donald. Just wondering what his grosses are compared to maybe 5 years ago.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
nice to hear when anyone's business is booming in today's economy. congrats Don :!:

Becker

Name
Becker
Slight price increase, but not enough to account for the increase in sales, bumping again for 2012.

The economy is depressed and the Seattle area is not immune to the trends. We might be better off than most the nation but it is not the glory days.

I know the quality of my work. Of my sales only 51% was repeat. Good number, but a little lower. I know of a number of clients whom have lost their homes, their jobs, or their marriages or all of the above.
I noticed more time between visits, and clients not getting as much done per visit.
Last year I saw a huge decrease in cleaning vacant homes between sales, or in prep to sell.
Our spring sucked, a record cold spring into summer. I'm sure that cost some business.

Saving grace for me this year was the work I did on my website and armature SEO. Last year I was not searchable on Google besides maybe places. Last Jan, Feb I spent some time rebuilding my website from scratch, then working the SEO. My knowledge is limited.

I'm very pleased with a pull of nearly 30% of my new business coming via the internet. ( not yelp angieslist or anything like that, just straight up Google searches.)

I am also very pleased with the new business via online review sites.

I also launched an aggressive yet passive referral program.

I do nearly all res work, rare SAT almost no SUN, 90% of my work is m-t 9-5 Friday 9-2 with ample days off to enjoy life.

As for past years.. Prior 5 years were good, and consistent, yet I started to see a slide or lack of growth. I ended 2010 fearing 2011. I knew or at least felt I needed to work a little hard to bring in new blood.

Now ending the year I'm pleased with my forecasting and efforts.

I've got a plan in the works to bump Jan, Feb. May was 25% less than March and April and 35% less than June- Sept. So I don't know if it is weather but I'd like for it to be higher than April.

Mike, sorry if this is TMI..

Those of you wanting to increase sales don't sit on your hands, don't sleep in and stop doing things that do not work.
Track everything you do, track every call that comes in.. Where did it come from?
Stop throwing money away.
Find something that works, increase the effort.
Dress sharp, remember customer service.

I know I could do a lot more.

I don't do newsletters, I don't have an email campaign, I don't send reminder cards, I'm sometimes horrible about returning phone calls, more so when busy or taking a few days off. In fact I do have a neg review on the net from someone trying to book with me, yet I never called back. Guess he tried twice. But is that a bad review when followed by 40 other solid reviews on my services?

Make 2012 a good year! No matter the economy!

Becker

Name
Becker
You really think I'd stop posting as I please?

You have been trying to get rid of my for years... My skin is thicker than that.

Mikey P

Administrator
Trying to get rid of your "my" for years?

Is that the Coors light talking or your paranoia shining through?

Appears your dry wit only works in one direction.

Go kills some small animals or a Bambi this weekend, sounds like you need an ego boost

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Bottom line up 234% for the year.

I don't believe I've ever worked so hard in all my life. :|

And I'm still able to get a few replies in on Mikey's Board every now and again. hey Marty, blow me

Becker

Name
Becker
Lee Stockwell said:
Thanks for the thread Don. (does mike sound jealous?)

No, he just needs to sell his boat on wheels. I think he had to much down time with her this year and the daily stress of wondering if she'll be humping a tie truck by the end of the day is getting to him.

He is a good proof reader though.

Impressive!

Mikey P

Administrator
Donald...

you'd be surprised at how similar our two businesses are.

My months play out much like yours as do our repeat rates and lead sources. I'm seeing all the same trials and tribulations that you are.
Carpet store referrals are down dramatically. I'm actually going to go butter some up today. I believe that in the past when they were swamped the would tell buyers that they could get more life from their carpet with a proper cleaning. Now with sales in the toilets, they are not being so....honest....

Only major difference is we completed about 230 more jobs than you did. Those 230 jobs paid for the help.

If I were to go at it alone I would have to do your numbers in order to keep my spine intact.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Brian R said:

And I'm still able to get a few replies in on Mikey's Board every now and again. hey Marty, blow me

Mikey must be paying you per post.....

Becker

Name
Becker
3 months I could use more work.

Jan feb and may

The other some what slower months besides the 4 biggest months of the year I'm happy to take some time off and rest the body.

The month of aug and sept I was also rehabbing a forcloser property.

2012 can use a little growth but I know it will be hard to have a huge jan feb. without turning to some comm. I won't do that.

2012 I'll need help or be forcing clients away with to long of a wait.

Or I need to pull my shit together, sell and move.

Maybe it is tIme for someone to hold down the passenger seat.

Brian for got to mention he did 60 jobs last year. This year, thank god for the daily deal.

Mikey P

Administrator
I would think in that area a well formulated hard working white boy like yourself would be easy to find. Train him on your van this winter and get him set up in your soon to be acquired back up for summer.

Help AND a back up truck is mandatory for the busy cleaner.

Becker

Name
Becker
Brian R said:

Sorry, I still thought this was a carpet cleaning board.

Either way Brian, I'm talking about one location.
Not factoring in income from other sources, or the dismal Spokane location.

Name
Lee Stockwell
That was an observation about the "234%" increase in the bottom line.

If you start low enough big percentage increases are easy.

Able 1

Name
Keith
670 job and you have been there what 3 years?? That is impressive! I will probably end up with 650 after 6 years ... :oops: I must be doing something wrong. :|

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Becker said:
Brian R said:

Sorry, I still thought this was a carpet cleaning board.

Either way Brian, I'm talking about one location.
Not factoring in income from other sources, or the dismal Spokane location.

In that case....My Dallas location is up 1000% because of what Lee said.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Completed 906 jobs (will probably only do about 15 next week)

Gross up 20.2%

Net up 21%

Months in order of sales

March
July
April
June
August
May
January (big ass commercial job, probably a fluke)
November
October
December
Feb

Took some big steps this year, kept an employee through last winter and bought another truck. Goals for this year, aside from sales growth, is to get my shop (garage) set up the way I want it and improve my wash floor set up...

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Same similar numbers for me here in Sacto. Reading the replies on this thread gave me a hint that I'm sorta doing ok, perhaps more then ok. 2011 for me was another year of confirming many of my observations about customers, business principles and carpet cleaners. I'm ever more amazed at the carpet cleaning industry and how much bull.... has transpired in the years before I jumped in. What the heck was I thinking?

But I'm here and I'm going the distance. No way I'd make a career change at this point. Learned to much about profitability, my strengths and weaknesses to go a different direction. Totally agree with Becker, get smart and repeat things that work. So many things we hear about don't. So much bull.... out there.

Another thing I've re-discovered this year is it's not just about "one" thing in this business. It's not JUST about customer service, or equipment, or perfect accounting, or voice messages, or selling every job. If it was just about something like customer service, Coit and Stanley would have gone way of the doddo bird a long time ago. The continuing sh.. trail they leave is mind bogling.

And the sh.. trail 98% of ALL carpet cleaners have left is certifiable as well. To survive and build a profitable business in this trade means diplomacy at every oppotunity. Then there's the BS among our own vendor/suppliers peddling junk, powders and liquids. Oh and what in THEE hell or how in THEE hell did these trade organizations ever survive is beyond my comprehension.

So bring on the dirt, urine and price shoppers, bring it.......

Back
Top Bottom