280 Chairs with SS Upholstery Tool

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I am not sure this is the correct video, if so this was an add-on job that we got started on today. We only had time for 62 today so we have about 220 more to do. My tech's favorite upholstery tool is the Sapphire Scientific's. I had him slow his stokes down a little for the video but we averaged about 3-4 minutes per chair including hose pulls, spraying, aggitating etc. We dual "tooled" these, my upholstery tool is the Kinectic however it's hard to argue with these result and I am sure when we go back to do the 220 additional I will wish I was using the SS tool as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUp2EIUeMOY&feature=player_detailpage

A couple of additional Pics
Hose on SS tool replaced, had "0" problems with collasping today
photo-56.jpg

Some before & wet pictures of some chairs we did at a truck stop the other night
photo-54.jpg

After, and boy were these things NASTY!
photo-55.jpg

Last edited:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I'd certainly keep the video around for later use, and if you could show it to whoever you were doing work for :)

hogjowl

Idiot™
Is that an internal jet tool? If it is, I would be pulling the trigger and never letting go ... I'd be doing a ziz-zag or saw tooth pattern with the trigger pulled and it would be much faster than that straight bacward thingy he's doing. But, I suspect you only did that for the video. I bet real life is faster.

Another suggestion is to find some way to eliminate the background chatter. It sounded like somebody was talking across the room somewhere. Very annoying.

Rob and Tre would have had music.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They might have.

However I saw Rob's stair cleaning video and it would take weeks to clean that many chairs if you had as many steps to follow as Rob instructed in the Stair Cleaning Video.

Pssst the video was done very well though, it just wasn't practical.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
To production line them it works much better to be sitting in a chair with wheels. Have them come to you prepped, Do the backs first, Then the seat, Then they are protected and frames wiped down by your helper. (Standing like that and doing hundreds is not the best.) 500 a day then is relatively easy.

Name
Bruce
To production line them it works much better to be sitting in a chair with wheels. Have them come to you prepped, Do the backs first, Then the seat, Then they are protected and frames wiped down by your helper. (Standing like that and doing hundreds is not the best.) 500 a day then is relatively easy.
:icon_rolleyes: Didn't you watch the video or read what he said? Those chairs looked like they where all connected, it would have been more of a pain in the "Yoakum" to disconnect them and he said that they duel tooled the chairs.

Reactions: Hoody

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
:icon_rolleyes: Didn't you watch the video or read what he said? Those chairs looked like they where all connected, it would have been more of a pain in the "Yoakum" to disconnect them and he said that they duel tooled the chairs.
Like pulling a male pin out of one side of the chair and the female slot on the other chair is a hard thing. Yea Right? I'll send you a diagram.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Hey Bob we do the backs first also. I just grabbed him and said hey do this chair bottom (because we were under some good lighting) and slow your passes down so I can shoot a quick video.
Their chairs were "hooked" together 10-22 per row. Funny thing is I just cleaned the santuary 4,500 sf on Tuesday, and they had all the chairs stacked. Then they had services Wednesday night and guy called me back to say could you clean our chairs? So we also had to touch up the carpet down the isle when we were finished. But, we did 62 today in 1.5 hours taking our time. We do all the backs in the row going into the isle and then the seats on the way out. We will be able to finish the other 220 in 7.5 hours Monday. And Marty I'll dub in some hard rock for ya next time. lol

Watching the video again I relized that all the air suction was coming from my other uph tool that was laying on the carpet right behind where I shot the video, like I said I grabbed him and shot it real quick. Should probably voice over if I decide to use it on our website

Last edited:
Name
BradFenstermaker
We clean chairs just like for a church client. They always look like new. Dont forget a bucket of soap water, wipe the frames down nice and quick.

I have switched from the Hydro-Kinetic too PMF Freedom tool recently. SS tool looks impressive.

Having a hard time keeping my Hydro valve repaired.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
My overall favorite is the kinetic, I feel it flushes better but still dries comparable. The only draw back is when u do multiple pieces your hands do get stiff and tired. Maybe it's my age ;)

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That tool looks very impressive I'm still debating on which upholstery tool to get next. I have the prochem one and sick of it.
The Sapphire tool is a great tool, we have four of them and the guys love them. I wouldn't get rid of your Prochem tool though, I'd buy a glide from Lisa and use it when you really need to flush the fabric. It still works great for that but it's heavy and it doesn't leave it anywhere near as dry. After all the drier the better (shut up Mardie :p), fewer problems with browning or color bleeding. You'll have much better control of your solution, no over spraying, less mess.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
You open (catalog) magazines from the rear?
look here you little wet behind the ears peckerhED........if you do the seats FIRST then the backs ...you're gonna get slosh or mist or some other crap on the seats to go over again....capish?

YOU'LL PAY FOR THAT REMARK!

and YES most of the time ....i do!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
how come your Hydro valve keeps needing repaired?
I replaced mine once since 07, and even then I discovered that it wasn't the valve but the cuff was sliding too far up the tool pipe from the vacuum. I thought the valve was going because I would pull the trigger and wasn't getting any water. With the cuff slid up, the trigger wasn't depressing far enough to activate the flow. All I had to do was bend the trigger a little and no more problem.

The Sapphire is nice because of its weight. We put the Sapphire against the HK at Steve Marsh's Uph class in San Fran (great class-lots of hands on) The Sapphire did seem to dry the fabric a wee bit more but then it just uses "flowing water" with no pressure behind it. The HK is good because of the teflon glide and holes, you can really dry a spot, and NO chance of snagging. Its biggest drawback is the weight; it is a heavy tool.
Make the HK out of a good plastic and see how many guys prefer it. Or put the HK teflon head on a Sapphire body.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Sounds like a great class! Ron did you sit in on Jim Pemberton's class in Nashville?

For all the years I've cleaned and have taken Jim's class before he still in that short hour or so had so many tips and techniques that made that whole trip worth while. Jim is an excellent instructor, a true master of his craft. I can't imagine the pressure of growing up in Lee's shadow but Jim made himself one of the industry's best in his own right. :icon_cool:

Name
BradFenstermaker
not sure what's up with my Kinetic. It wants to keep spraying after releasing the trigger. Put a few kits but they don't come with nylon washer behind the dow pin.

I cant find a brand new valve. Dixie Steamway or Superior dont seem to have 1. Will have to ask John again. He sent the repair kits he had left.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I got my repair kits from John too. Not even sure who sells the HK anymore.
I've not had that issue of sticking on. Perhaps some lube would fix it, or open it and pull the spring, expanding it

FredC

Village Idiot

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Billy,

How much do you charge per chair?

We clean a local mega-church that has a 12,500 square foot sanctuary, and 1400 chairs that hook together, plus a few hundred more chairs at their youth sanctuary.

We charge $3 per chair.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Bob, our initial verbal discussion I told him that we got $5 per cushion, he only wanted the top and sides of bottom and the front of the backs, so this would have been $10 per chair (after seeing a little sticker shock) I told him I would discount 25% to include our normal 10% donation back to the church for volumn cleaning so these were $7.50 each. I did spray one row with protector before we left and when I go back Monday I will give him a demo once I decide if I am going to include it in the $7.50 price since my conscious was bothering me a bit for the $7.50. Last time a bid 500 chairs for $2. a cushion total ($4 per chair) of $2k I was outbid by a cleaner that did them for $1.00 per chair!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom