360i causing buckling

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Anybody had this problem? Just got the 360i a month ago or so and have had 2 jobs buckle. One really old carpet badly. But one today that was 8 years old. We have TM (Apex) machines, tons of vacuum and high heat. I'm wondering if its the high heat as at only 300psi and the jets right on the carpet were not losing much heat. Carpets are steaming quite a bit. But we have always wanded with the TMs set at full temp however jets are above carpet further.

We do dry properly, we do have the quad head as well.

EDIT- I know a lot of the time the carpets will relax back to the way it was but the old one did not. I will say it was 30 something years old and super loose of course. We will see if today's relaxes.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We had a job we did last month with VLM that would buckle in the rooms within 10-minutes of cleaning. It was a commercial business in a residential setting 6-rooms plus and they all did it. Looked like a fun house. :eekk:

Took some airmovers back and it dried back down fine. The shocker is with the Orbot they used only 4-gallons of cleaning solution over 1200sq/ft. What if we had used HWE? That carpet would have pushed you out the door.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
It's not stretched properly from go, or tack (or the backing above the tack) failed somewhere in the room, or was lifted by the HO for some reason and not kicked in properly.

We have had a few through the years buckle, and virtually every time it was with use of a rotary tool.

We have literally cut out inches when it was dried and power-stretched back in.

Cleaning carpet won't add carpet in a room - it is a preexisting condition - not your or any tools fault.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Usually its on the overlap where its wetter and pops action back tend to swell and within a few days it settles. Out hear where swamp coolers are used the path of swamp water can cause carpets to buckle humidity. turn off the swamp and it settles back down. It may be something too do with some installs but I'm pretty sure its more to do with moisture.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Yes,
Second Job out on our own with RotoVac 3 jet head.

Assistant at the time tapped me on the shoulder and said: Um hey check this out! I liked to flipped my lid. It was walking around, No Lie!!!

By the time we packed up for the evening it had laid back down.

My guess is so many hacks had been on it with who knows what kind of AutoZone degreaser, the backing and glue was gone.

Chris

Last edited:

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
It's not stretched properly from go, or tack (or the backing above the tack) failed somewhere in the room, or was lifted by the HO for some reason and not kicked in properly.

We have had a few through the years buckle, and virtually every time it was with use of a rotary tool.

We have literally cut out inches when it was dried and power-stretched back in.

Cleaning carpet won't add carpet in a room - it is a preexisting condition - not your or any tools fault.

REALLY?? So does anyone feel buckling carpet could be cause by a previous or recent overwetting? My opinion is, that if it wasn't rippled prior to cleaning and didn't tighten back up after drying, the last person that cleaned it is responsible.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
REALLY?? So does anyone feel buckling carpet could be cause by a previous or recent overwetting? My opinion is, that if it wasn't rippled prior to cleaning and didn't tighten back up after drying, the last person that cleaned it is responsible.

in Residential or Commercial Glue Down here fellas?

Residential I would say this:
From the installs I have seen and done. Normally a Power stretcher is not used. These guys flat fly when putting it down and kick only as hard as needed. So Indy gaining inches makes perfect sence. Especially if it is cheap carpet and worn any at all.

The RotoVac has a speed setting , but seeing as how your Indy I'd say WTFO !!

Commercial Glue Down:
Who knows really? mixture of problems.

In Indys case, still WTFO

Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom