40 vol peroxide from Sally's

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
I know many of you guys use 40 Vol. from Sally's Beauty Supply. Please enlighten me on how you use it.

1) Do you mix it with anything?
2) Is there a situation where it works best, etc.

Thanks!

Amygeorge

Name
I'm Rick James
That product has been talked about a lot over the years, I suggest using the "search" feature and read pages upon pages of opinions and facts about that product from a lot of different people.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
40vol is peroxide, Amy
12% peroxide
Grocery store peroxide is 3%

use it wherever oxidizers are desirable/useful...ie as a booster/brightener or stain remover
caution is advised though, cause strong oxidizers CAN bleach some carpets and fabrics

..l.T.A.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Peroxide and non sudsing ammonia. One cup peroxide and 1/4 to 1/2 cup ammonia(the ammonia gives it a boost) . Once mixed lasts about an hour, use it on anything you would use stain magic on.

It's like everything else, sometimes it works - sometimes it doesn't. The 40 vol comes in pints or quarts I think, like 5 or 6 bucks. The ammonia is a dollar.
Not really saving that much money, but it is on the van.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
WHat a hassle. It is much easier to just buy stain magic at $60 a gallon. Ok Ok, you got me. I have never actually purchased stain magic or any other quart packaged oxidizing stain remover. One thing though is that sallys is usually a creme and I prefer a clear liquid. Second sallys is intended for hair and your using it on carpet. You most likely will never have an issue but it is illegal to use a chemical different that its intended and labeled use. If you buy cobbs stuff, one it is cheap and two it is labeled to be used on carpet. I purchase it by the 5 gallon container.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
40 Vol from Sallys made this a quick job:

A912681B-1912-4FC3-93CF-247A9BC324AF-5427-000008BB5EF88D2C.jpg

1AE2A89C-7316-490D-91E1-3AD2ACD4B949-5427-000008BB69BC527C.jpg

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
It's called CLEAR DEVELOPER .....not CREME.

And I suspect it's the same thing as Cobb's but he has to mark it up a little to make any profit.

FredC

Village Idiot
I doubt there is much difference...its 40vol peroxide....but the labeling issue mentioned earlier gets solved.

and it may be cheaper where you live but at Sally's here its ~$5/32oz making it about the same cost assuming Cobbs shipping calculator is accurate

of course sally's has the convenient 32oz bottles

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Like Jimmy said: sallys will have the clear liquid 40vol. They call it clear developer. Why would you even try the cream?

I usually pay about 10 bucks for 2 qt at sallys. If cobbs stuff is the same strength for the same amount but for a gallon then its a better deal..I just didn't feel like cobbs worked as well as what 40vol from sallys did.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I doubt there is much difference...its 40vol peroxide....but the labeling issue mentioned earlier gets solved.

and it may be cheaper where you live but at Sally's here its ~$5/32oz making it about the same cost assuming Cobbs shipping calculator is accurate

of course sally's has the convenient 32oz bottles

I don't pay shipping....ever.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Maybe Larry Cobb can tell us exactly how his products is different than Sally's
1. It is a product formulated for Carpet Fiber (@ $11.95/gal).
(unlike what your customer uses on her hair)

2. It has penetrants to insure even results on carpet fiber bundles.

3. It has the latest stabilizers to insure potency.

Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: SamIam

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I was questioned why I was purchasing 40 vol last time I visited Sallys.
Apparently, they have been visited by homeland security and asked to report all suspicious purchases of peroxide.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Apparently its no secret in my town, the lady behind the counter said they get quite a few carpet cleaners buying it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I feel compelled to mention something... Two things accelerate the degradation of peroxide. Meaning makes it less potent. Heat and light. That is why even the grocery store stuff comes in a brown bottle. I usually order it by 5 gallon containers 10-15 gallons at a time. I store it in an old refrigerator that is turned up to the highest cold setting. It doesn't use much electricity but it keeps it cool enough and keeps all the light out. I use a fill spout and top off a gallon jug every day for the days cleaning..... or my guys do

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom