A huge thanks

Name
Ron lippold
My google places got bitch slapped it was down for months, sucked bad but we are back. Thanks to the best Seo guy in the business.

Fred you are the man LIKE!

Mikey P

Administrator
Its just unfortunate that he can't do for this forum what he does for your sites.

I'm thinking of hiring that eric fish guy to revamp this place.

Name
Yohance
Google places is so sketchy for these reasons. And we don't pay for it so we can't really complain to google. Nice you have a good guy who fixed it. Google places has its own forum you can sign up for, ask questions to resolve problems or, you can report a problem directly through your places page and they will contact you via E-mail.

Hope it doesn't happen again

FredC

Village Idiot
You're welcome...

What happened to Ron and how you can keep it from happening to you. USE THE SAME name, address, and phone everywhere!

Long version:

First NAP (name, address, and phone) consistency across the web is very important. Everywhere your company is listed it should use the exact same info.

Ron signed up for Service Magic and used a PO Box instead of his physical address. Prior to signing up with SM there was little work done to propagate his correct information across the web.

Part of Service Magic is their "exact match" program where they put out a bunch of listings and supply major data providers with your info and the SM phone number. So hundreds of listings were created on Ron's behalf by SM with the PO Box address. Due to the sheer amount and sources this was seen by Google's algorithm as the more "trustworthy" information.

Despite having a verified places listing Google's algo created a listing based on the PO Box (which they don't allow..... lol), dropped the original correct listing w/ 15 reviews, and dropped Ron from the places listings....likely because he was using a PO Box...........wtf. Also added the PO Box to his organic listing

Cleaning up:

Contacting google to correct the issue was useless. Manual correction by google staff just gets reset by the algorithm and in this case, as with every other time I've attempted, just f'd things up worse.

Claiming and changing the incorrect listing was pointless because all the bad info was still out there. It would just happen again. Plus we wanted to salvage the reviews.

So............the only way to fix was to spend hours claiming and changing the info across the web starting with the major Data Providers and creating a campaign to propagate the correct info. The problem is there isn't an alarm that goes off at google HQ that tells them that Ron in Albuquerque is updating his listings on the web. It takes time for all the correct listings to be indexed.

Once the majority of listings were corrected the old Places page was once again accessible/ editable. Then we were able to claim the PO Box listing and suspend it and now , although possible, it is not likely to happen again because most of the info that was out there has been corrected.

A week later the original listing is back with the reviews.

FredC

Village Idiot
no.....the SM phone isn't really an issue

except for the fact that it is their phone with your info....which usually floats around long after you quit SM...so if you quit SM and someone clicks on one those of "exact match" listings they are no longer presented with your info...and if they call of course you aren't getting the lead

Even when you are still with SM people searching for you can come across those listing and Bam....$20 em fee

I was told by a SM rep one time that I could opt out of exact match when he was trying to get me to stay....not sure if that is true or not

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Re: Re: A huge thanks

Ken Snow said:
[quote="Mikey P":2t6p4j4p]Look for a girt certificate from Nancy Hgnoi's house of nails.
I already bought their lifetime bi-weekly mani/pedi how about a massage cert.[/quote:2t6p4j4p]

"I will ChiP-iN....for some sInGinG lEssOnS.".... LIKE!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom