A selection of carpet faults and damage.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Row of high pile.
IMG_7672.jpg

Knapped and groomed.
IMG_7673.jpg

Row of missing pile.
IMG_7657.jpg

Re tufted.
IMG_7658.jpg

Row of high pile.
IMG_7647.jpg

Removed and carpet prepared.
IMG_7649.jpg

Retufted.
IMG_7651.jpg

Blob of silicon on new carpet.
IMG_7636.jpg

Affected tufts removed.
IMG_7637.jpg

Re tufted.
IMG_7638.jpg

Filamentation.
IMG_7632.jpg

Removed.
IMG_7633.jpg

Damage that initially appeared to be missing tufts, but closer inspection showed damage, possibly from a forklift spike. Not re tufable.
IMG_7595.jpg

Successfully repaired using a bonded insert.
IMG_7600.jpg

Rogue yarn. (Wrong colour)
IMG_7582.jpg

Removed and prepared for retufting.
IMG_7583.jpg

Retufted.
IMG_7586.jpg

Delamination on seam.
IMG_7579.jpg

Re glued successfully.
IMG_7580.jpg

Dalamination. Not repairable. The seam was cut at an angle, the edges were damaged and a repair was not an option given its central location and the size of the repair necessary. Carpet replaced.
IMG_7575.jpg

Filamentation. This was a tricky job. The fibres could have been removed but it was a. going to be very labour intensive for a small area and b. with a good amount of feet shuffling on the test area, I was able to make it re appear to a lesser extent. Referred to the manufacturer for lab testing.
IMG_1097.jpg

John

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi John:

Was the filimentation a defect, or locally caused (IE: cat, dog)? I've never heard of a mill hiring such a repair, and don't understand why they would if they're having a latex problem. Am I missing something?

Now, I will say that I have been hired to do the unheard of repair of “correcting polling” before. But that was because it was custom Hilton motel carpet, and they wanted to prove to the Hilton that the pooling would return, and it did.

Sincerely,
Dale
www.flooringinspector.com

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Never see Harry Myers or Steve Andrews work on here anymore. :cry:

Always a pleasure to see the results of a master craftsman.

:|

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Dale. I showed two photos of filamentation... One was a wool resi carpet and it was really part of the natural shedding process and so it was mainly in the areas outside of the main walk zones.

I have my own cropping/de pilling machine and over 25-30% of my business is de pilling carpets with this complaint. In a high wool environment, de pilling carpets is one of the main complaints that the carpet reps have to deal with. Sometimes it's nothing more than poor vacuuming, other times it's severe shedding and occasionally, it's an actual fault and once done, it'll return. In most cases, if done at the correct timeframe in the life of the carpet, and done correctly, it won't return.

The bottom photo was a SDN commercial tile, it had I believe poor latex bonding and fibres were working out of the yarn bundle, in fact, when pulled, I was getting them out to 4-6" long before they would break off. It was a small amount, (48m2 whatever that works out to your ay of measuring I don't know sorry) but it was in a carpet retailers own shOwroom so there was a bit of extra politics involved. If the rep had done his inspection correctly, I should never have been sent in there.

John

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Shorty, I too miss Harry and Steve's work. It's an area that really fascinates me and I love seeing others work as well, it challenges you to think outside the box and that's often a good thing in this type of work.

I often pick up ideas and little things to help me from others talking or showing their work.

John

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi John:

I'm sorry I didn't realize were you lived, and that it was wool staples.

However, as an Inspector; when we look @ woven wool over here, and it is doing any form of shedding, it indicates that the staple length was too short (unless there is evidence of localized damage). We write it up as such, and there is replacement by the mill, not repair.
Unless the Consumer wants a settlement, of course.

Sincerely,
Dale
www.flooringinspector.com

leesenter

Dale I don't know how you say that about woven wools.
Almost all loop wovens I see shedding have been destroyed by rotating brushes. The cut piles that are shedding are few and far between. I have one right now that I failed and the mill disagrees. I am having the white yarns tested now to substantiate the claim.
But short yarns? There will obviously be some. Its inherent to the carpet.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Dale, the majority of pilling claims that I visit on behalf of the mill, are wool, or wool rich, loop pile and usually 6months to 2 years old.

Shedding is a naturally occurring characteristic of wool carpets and in a lot of cases has got bad because of either poor vacuuming technique or equipment. About 30% of claims only need me to run my commercial vacuum over the carpets.

If the de pilling is done correctly, and not too soon in the cycle/process, it should be permanent. The previous operators to me taking it over didn't understand the cycle... or didn't want to. They blindly did every job as soon as it came in, and often had to go and repeat jobs 3-6 months later. That lead to a higher volume of complaints and therefore ultimately replacements.

Remember, I'm not sent in as an inspector to make judgement on the claim, rather as a technician to attempt to rectify any real or perceived faults. I still play my part in educating the client, as an independent my explanations carry more weight than the words of the mill rep. I also don't hesitate to tell it like it is in my reporting back to the rep.

John

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi guys:

Several years ago, the only woven Inspection school in the US (to my knowledge) was FCITS Tim Smith. Since, Tim died and no one took his place. I attended the last class that he taught in 1998. While I get very few request to look at wool fuzzing problems, memory serves me that carpet wool staples are to average no shorter than 4.3 inches, and that there was a rash of years back then that the wool simply was not growing long enough.

Hence while I said that short staple “carpet was replaced” I really should have said it “was defective”. Because I really don’t know how they settled the claims, and in fact I do know that they try to do cash settlements. But when there is a problem with short staples, the fact remains that shaving it is a temporary cure, because it later fuzzes again.

However please note that pilling is a characteristic that I have never heard of occuring on a wool, but have see it too many times on man-made fibers and especially Polyester. It was my understanding that pilling occured from polymers that were stretchy.

Sincerely,
Dale
http://www.flooringinspector.com

leesenter

Most pilling claims I see on woven wools end up being synthetic fibers from socks attaching to the yarns somehow. Burn test any pilling claims. Are the pills burning the same as the fibers?
I have been woven trained at Bloomsburg and they showed us the apparent faults they wanted us to be aware of that were not in fact faults.
The main issue I have with wovens is the lack of standards for tuft bind. Its hard to have an opinion on something without any standard to quote.

Back
Top Bottom