A ShopMount?!? With Electric Vacuum Motors...

Name
Nate W.
I wanted to get the Larry Cobb's, Judson, Odin (if he still lurks) and other electric vacuum guys suggestion on vacuum motors to use in the shop... I'll be running 2 separate circuits of single phase 220v... They used to be used for A/C upstairs at my shop...

My question is; What electric vacuum motors would work best in-shop with 220v? It would be used for sucking water out of pit washed rugs, upholstery cleaning, surface cleaning rugs that can't be immersed in water... I want to see the cost difference/efficiency over running a electric motor to power a #4 blower and pump off a old HM/CDS Hydravan 4.2... I currently fire up my TM to get it done...

Thanks for your help..

Last edited:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Just install the blower. It will save you the trouble of engineering a system now, that you'll throw out later, to install the blower you should have in the first place. The energy savings will be your own.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Nate;

We've built electric TM's from both new Lamb Vac Motors, and from Sutorbilt blowers.

From an efficiency standpoint . . .

the new 8.4" Lamb vacs are the most efficient vacuum sources available . . .

in terms of electricity consumed.

Two of them will provide good lift levels @ 25 ft. . . .

or 4 of them will provide TM vacuum levels @ 50 ft.

(17" hg. sealed or 11" hg. at wand on carpet)

http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/inde..._result&search_in_description=1&keyword=lmb5a

These new motors have 1500 hour brush life for durability.

Four of them cost ~$880.

A 5 HP Electric motor is required for a #3MR Sutorbilt @ full output.

Cost of 5 HP motor & #3MR with drive ~$2000.

Cost of 7.5 HP motor & #4MR with drive ~$3300.

Electricity will be be about 67% more with the 3MR system.

Larry

Last edited:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If the cost of electricity trumps durability and entry cost, the Lambs win.

Otherwise, Nate has the blower, so he's looking at about $600 for a new motor, pulleys and belts.

Reactions: Nate The Great
Name
Nate W.
Thanks uncle Bryan and Larry! Some food for thought... I have a complete HM CDS Hydra-Van 4.2.. The water pump sits on top the blower... Basically, I'm tired of wasting gas and having to setup/break down the van every time... Thanks again..

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Nate
We have an inplant machine we built, #4 blower driven by an 5-hp electric motor (3-phase), cat pump with PC chem pump to meter solutions. 100-gallon waste tank that dumps into a mop sink.

Blower and muffler sit outside the shop, plumbing through the wall and over to the rug area and upholstery area (50ft) where there are two vac & solution ports. There is a remote start box so they don't have to walk over to the machine to start and stop. Heat is supplied by a hot water heater, which does a decent job but not as hot as a TM. Unit works great, saves tons of gas, we use it everyday.

Odin had an electric TM that he built a few years ago that would have been an excellent inplant machine, I almost bought it from him. You might check with him, although shipping might get you.

1886fed2-6860-4b0d-b530-aac2a60c75ec_zps917f98bc.jpg

e9446a6e-c96b-4d25-ad6c-96ded733656b_zps49b03d49.jpg

486ab706-123e-469f-b3d3-c7184203f24b_zps5d81ea78.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
Nate W.
Thanks Uncle Richie... Looks like a nice setup... I still have 2 Work Master electric machines... 1 has a hole in the tank and the other is just sitting... Those things suck compared to just firing up the gas TM... That's why I wanted to see if a better route could be had with 2 legs of 220v... I only have single phase to work with.. I do have a small static phase converter that can handle up to 3hp..

I seen pics of Odin's electric machine built at Judson... Big fookin machine.... It was pretty sweet too...

Last edited:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Nate,
You might want to run the blower on one motor and the pump on another much smaller one. Makes it easier to run only what you need.

I'd second Larry's suggestion of at least a 7.5HP motor. If you're raiding an abandoned sugar mill for parts a 10 would also work.

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
We run a portable with dual three stage vacs, but we use an APO to pump the wastewater to where we need it. Not real sophisticated but it works - definitely my speed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom