About the sleaziest move a competitor could make!

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Bob Foster said:
My biggest challenges to my business are not from my competitors but are from myself on how to better focus my effort.

That is a big 10-4 for every single business person in the world, Bob. No one likes competition. (Well, I admit to personally really liking Scotty Warrington.) But having good competition it forces us to up our game. If you have "bad competition" you up your game plus get a great deal of personal satisfaction out of whipping them while you are at it.

So say "thank you" to "Mr. Expert Carpet Care"!

Steve
http://www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS I confess to a huge advantage over my friendly internet jouster, Scotty W. He is stuck there in frigid Utah (Mountain Time Zone) while I am here in the sunny Dominican Republic. (One hour ahead of Eastern Time Zone which means I have a 3 hour and fifty degree temperature advantage.) So while I am leisurely typing away in the sun after a blissful mid-morning brunch by the ocean poor Scott is still trying to get his frozen eyelids to open. :) Poor guy. Personal friendship only goes so far in business!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
So while I am leisurely typing away in the sun after a blissful mid-morning brunch by the ocean poor Scott is still trying to get his frozen eyelids to open. :) Poor guy. Personal friendship only goes so far in business!
Man that's a low blow! :lol:

Studebaker said:
What upsets me is thats my picture on the side of all those Citruso vans driving around.

I like the citruso site. It has some neat videos. Really it is just a hydramaster direct drive with drimaster but in the eye of the consumer it is something different and unique. Check out the video on filtration removal. I have heard the drimaster is great for commercial carpet. Harper uses one so it must do a decent job.

http://www.citrusocarpetcleaning.com/ca ... aning.html

rhyde

Name
rhyde
i'm not sure you have anything to complain about, he's using a phrase common in the industry?

A local cleaner thats been around 110 years Atiyeh Brothers Inc. had an employee who was a distant relative start a carpet cleaning business and used ATIYEH CARPET CARE they almost took him to court over it.

FYI, you should register not just your exact business name but similar ones with your state business registry.

say your name is "expert carpet care" also register, expert cleaning, expert cleaning service, expert textile cleaning , expert steam cleaning and so on.

Bob Foster

Doug Cox said:
This is probably one of the best threads on here with some great responses. I actually like your ads Bob and probably wouldn't have noticed (cared) if it was mine. Then again, I don't rely on YP ads much anymore.

Just to clarify - I do not use display ads in the YP. I believe there are better ways to spend advertising dollars these days.

The ads I displayed are for some on-line advertising I am working on.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Bob,

If one of your better ways is through the Internet you may want to consider changing your companies name.

When you type in :expert carpet care bc canada

14K searches pop up with Aquamist right on the top.

So even if a client is specifically searching for your company they will be directed to Aquamist.

A more unique name would avoid this problem.

At least this problem has been discovered.

So, that you can make changes now before the cleaning season begins.

Just wanted to brighten your day-

Bob, You don't have a website?

Also, Let us in about the oranges.
Does your process leave an orange scent?

My cleaning leaves a cinnamon scent.
Clents love it and it sets my services apart.

Bob Foster

The oranges play into a larger picture that has yet to be revealed. I deliberately choose the name and knew of the possibilities of something like this happening and given the same situation I would choose it again. The name works well in spite of what has happened today. I offered 4 names to call the company to about two dozen people and the majority picked this name. If you don't think I'm good at naming names for things in this industry ask me to drop a few.

This competitor went to the trouble of meta tagging his web site with my name over a year ago.

I am very aware of the implications of not having a website and what calls I have not gotten because of it. There were very good reasons why I haven't done it up to this point. I have been for over a year contemplating leaving the industry but recently I made a commitment to continue.

For the last couple of months I have been putting a plan into action as circumstances permit. Within the next 6 weeks I will have a very good website up and appropriately optimized.

I sincerely welcome everyone's feedback as it reinforces some of the obvious things that I am aware of that I intend on implementing in my marketing and advertising plan.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Sound good,

Remember it can 4 weeks or longer before your site shows up on most search engines.

topnotchman

A friend called me today from a city I dont service like 30 miles away. He asked if quit cleaning carpets and started cutting trees down now. I asked "no, why" he said "I just drove by a big truck that says Top Notch Tree Cutting Service! haha I just laughed.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Nick Nello's biz in TX is called "Expert Carpet Cleaning", and another "America's Finest".

I expect America to sue him shortly...

randy

Name
Randy
Lee Stockwell said:
Nick Nello's biz in TX is called "Expert Carpet Cleaning", and another "America's Finest".

I expect America to sue him shortly...

With the Attorney General we have now I can actually see something that stupid happening.

-JB-

Name
JB
Seriously, who does read the YP anymore???

Mine was delivered the other day in a nice yellow bag on the front porch, it had a convenient carry handle on it which made it quite easy to carry and deposit in the recycling tote. :mrgreen:

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
It happens a lot , raider rooter ,rapid rooter , all used the well advertised company roto rooter to base their name. They know people will call by accident and they can steal some business. Take it as a compliment, I did when it happened to me.

gene

Bob Foster

Normally I really couldn't care less about most of my competition other than being mindful of their service offerings and price structure.

Up to today I had a lot of respect for this company and its staff and thought of them very much the same way as consumers perceive them - VERY professional. What surprised and disappointed me is that they would stoop to such a low level. Make no mistake about it; what they did was deliberate.

F

FB7777

Dave Yoakum brings up a very good point regarding your comapny name Bob, as it relates to search engines

You should at least consider accentuating the name Expert to make it appear less generic as it applies to your business

something like 'Call the Experts' at Expert Carpet Care

how you can boast your google rankings with that name is another challenge...

oh and Lee Stockwell .... ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I'm shocked!!

Fred agrees with one of my posts.

Wonder if this will become a habit?

The time is right to get your web presence on the top

and targeted for most cleaning related terms.

Mobile web devices are becoming more popular every day.

Soon they will become the norm.

So ,with the increased visibility Google Local may become the dominate player.

Not organic sites and especially not the Yellow pages.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
CanYouHemiNow said:

I think it's a Canadian thing...

n]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzbP2UqiZXQn]

:roll: Thats a Stupid ass video. :mrgreen:

Bob Foster

If he already hasn't, I'll be sure to have Wayne Miller read this thread.

All good points! Thanks everyone.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Seriously, who does read the YP anymore???

I still get good results from a small add in the Yellow Pages, Mainly becouse, It comes with a free web listing, And I have a link to my websight plus other gerneral info there, I get 2 or three jobs a week from it. :mrgreen:

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
danielc said:
Yes it is pretty dumb but this video is great imo. Those trucks look great.

http://www.citrusocarpetcleaning.com/bl ... aning.html

They must be the Hagopian of that area. Tell me something for you guys that use the edge tool , How to you keep from marking up the base boards on the houses that have been painted in a flat paint? you barely touch the stuff and you'll leave a black mark on it.

Mikey P

Administrator
Bob, you're rebuilding what was once Bravo Carpet Cleaning right?
Bravo was a great name, to bad you had to let it go.

Expert really sucks.

Mrs Pift will NEVER remember it.

I'll sell you the rights to Connoisseur for $1.00 a month.

Name
I'm Rick James
Its tough picking out a good name.

I first started with Independant Carpet Cleaning, used a porty at the time.

I moved west and came up with SteamPro

Then came up with Go Green Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning. I get alot of compliments with my current one.

Just curious why dont you call him and ask him. Its really not a big deal if you do. I think when you use a name like Expert in a industry that needs experts I can see it being thrown around alot.

I see Go Green on other carpet cleaning vans and ads, even bensurdi has it on his site. It just a common phrase right now.

Cheerio

Bob Foster

Mikey P said:
Bob, you're rebuilding what was once Bravo Carpet Cleaning right?
Bravo was a great name, to bad you had to let it go.

Expert really sucks.

Mrs Pift will NEVER remember it.

I'll sell you the rights to Connoisseur for $1.00 a month.

The next will be better yet!
bravobanner.jpg

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
I wouldn't be losing sleep over this one, Bob. Any professional cleaner ought to be expert in what they do. Saying their expert is expected. I doubt anyone reading the ad is going to take it any further than that.

For what it's worth, we've operated under three different names over the past 20 years. It hasn't made a big of a difference one way or the other. Regardless of the name SOME people have a hard time remembering it, SOME people confuse it with other names, SOME people remember it just fine. More people remember my name suggesting perhaps it's more about relationships than it is clever, catchy names, especially as an O/O.

A name is a name. We can all pull apart any name and over-think it. We can all find examples of successful businesses with terrible names and failed business with great names. How much can it tip the scale when you're determined to succeed? Personally, I like Bravo better than Expert but when you go out and do the right thing everyday, in the long run, it's six of one, a half-dozen of the other. And, I think your van was really cool.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom