Accelerated van roof hose mount

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
His style of build/assembly on his TM's is so cost effective. My first TM (homebuilt) had that simplicity in mind. My latest assemble is even better, marketable?, probably not. Not unless I bought into a Tony Robbins personality. I wasn't aware Duane was rumored to have a less then stellar personality or reputation. Spoke with him once, didn't get that impression.

To achieve marketability is this industry is a real accomplishment. It's not enough to make a better mouse trap or even a new concept/product. Ya gotta somehow reach the consumer (a very fickle market) in a way that sticks and makes sense. Gotta market a value that exceeds the price. Woe, that's a greased mountain.

Lots of opportunity with the right plan and timing.

F

FB7777

Deal with the garage builder at your own peril.

The real problem is these people are often grossly under funded, the units under engineered and essentially the owner is under available when you attempt to contact them.

I don't see these guys building a better mouse trap... Cheaper perhaps.

If I was looking to save a few bucks, I'd purchase a gently used name brand over a new garage mount everyday of the week

Mikey P

Administrator
You bring up an interesting question Fred..

Are these super simple, "buy all replacement parts at Auto Zone" machines constructed that way because the garage guy knows better or because they really have no clue?

Are safety features like relays, high temp shut offs, sensors and the like, a necessary evil to save the absent minded cleaner? Many would rather blow a $35 fuse than a pump, HX or blower..
Obviously a very astute and mechanical cleaner can do fine with a no frills machine but is the garage builder's typical customer a babe in the woods looking to upgrade from a portable? or a guy like Jim Martin with years of experience and mechanical know how.
Certainly a cleaner like Jim ( a former electrician) could safely run a no safety feature frilled machine, yet he chooses a Sapphire at nearly twice the cost..

Makes you wonder who is best served by each market..

Last edited:

hogjowl

Idiot™
I am about as mechanical as you are humble.
I've ran a basic "garage built" machine for over 20 years with no problems that I wouldn't have had with a machine that cost $10,000 more.

All it has to do is suck and squirt.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Since no one stands out at the machine while it runs at least some safeties are required. Period.

A mechanically astute person can work on a garage-built machine and maintain it as well as work out any kinks.

The trouble arises when a newbie buys an off brand machine, expects Sapphire-like support and has no clue how to turn a wrench. You get what you pay for.....

Mikey P

Administrator
I am about as mechanical as you are humble.
I've ran a basic "garage built" machine for over 20 years with no problems that I wouldn't have had with a machine that cost $10,000 more.

All it has to do is suck and squirt.

Are you sure Marty?

I would be willing to bet my humble fortune that you've had a gas leak for those 20 years..

What are the potential health effects of propane?
Main Routes of Exposure: Inhalation.

• Inhalation: Low concentrations are not harmful. A high concentration can displace oxygen in the air. If less oxygen is available to breathe, symptoms such as rapid breathing, poor retention, rapid heart rate, clumsiness, stoopidiness, emotional upsets and fatigue can result. As less oxygen becomes available, nausea and vomiting, infatuation with popular southerner type sports like car racing and college football, collapse, convulsions, anal retentiveness, , moments of ADHD when exposed to the written word, inability to operate a screwdriver, coma and death can occur. Symptoms occur more quickly with physical effort. Lack of oxygen can cause permanent damage to organs including the brain and heart. At high concentrations: can harm the nervous system. Symptoms may include headache, nausea, dizziness, drowsiness and confusion. Can cause irregular heartbeat.
  • Skin Contact: Not irritating. Direct contact with the liquefied gas can chill or freeze the skin (frostbite). Symptoms of mild frostbite include numbness, a whiny almost PMS outlook on life, prickling and itching. Symptoms of more severe frostbite include a burning sensation and stiffness. The skin may become waxy white or yellow. Blistering, tissue death and infection may develop in severe cases.
  • Eye Contact: Not irritating. Direct contact with the liquefied gas can freeze the eye. Permanent eye damage or blindness can result.
  • Ingestion: Not a relevant route of exposure (gas).
  • Effects of Long-Term (Chronic) Exposure: Not harmful.
  • Carcinogenicity: Not a carcinogen.
International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC): Not specifically evaluated.
American Conference for Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH): Not specifically designated.

• Teratogenicity / Embryotoxicity: Not known to harm the unborn child.
  • Reproductive Toxicity: Not known to be a reproductive hazard.
  • Mutagenicity: Not known to be a mutagen.

Last edited:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
plane and simple...I invest in a machine to run my business...I run my business to support my family and put food on the table and a roof over there head....and as Dan mentioned..we are not standing at the machine the entire time it is running with a finger on the switch to kill it if something decides to go sideways...

some builders seem to think that removing or not putting in safety devices is the practical way to go and they want to use it for a sales pitch...but they could not be more wrong..............99% of the time..it is never a safety device that goes out..it is normally one of the very same parts that are built into all the machines... the only difference is that my machines will go into a shut down while there's will sit there and grenade themselves and while I am paying a fraction of the price and will have less down time...they are paying way more and pretty much rebuilding there's...

I have yet to see what they call an over engineered machine..( well that Vortex thing went a bit over board )......
Sapphire machines have the best set ups as far as safety features and simplicity...and well worth the piece of mind knowing that when I am 200 feet away from my machine and something goes wrong...my investment is protected............

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Hundreds do.

and hundreds have problems that they should not of had because simple things were not in place..few get lucky and might not have any problems..same with the ones that have the features built in them...

but I would rather be a lucky one that had my machine shut down instead of tore up....

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
people have problems all the time...they don't call you..what would be the point....

Mikey P

Administrator
Marty, you of all people should know that most people will not complain online about a machine they own for two reasons.

They don't want to piss off the one man show.
They know someday they'll be looking to sell that machine to these very people.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
the whole world is not calling me and the calls i do get a normally not from people off this board....

what I do get calls about are normally little things...

little things that could of been prevented if something was in place...for instance..I got a call a few weeks ago regarding a cat pump that now needs to be rebuilt..because there was no low water safety switch and for what ever reason..about half way through the job they lost water pressure...if it had the switch..it would of just shut off...they could of figured out why they lost water and restarted...instead...it messed up there pump...

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I've run out if water on a job LOTS of times. Pump loses pressure.

Add water and the problem is solved.

so one of these days...I understand that you are going to actually replace your machine and get something a bit more updated...??

If what I am understanding is true....and you finally take this step and make this big investment.....are you going to feel better knowing that the money you spent has the features in place or do you throw caution to the wind and hope everything is going to be OK....

Name
Lee Stockwell
I love my 405's. Had 5 decent years previously with the proverbial garage builder. It was educational, and I appreciate what I learned.

Did I mention I love my 405's? I got them gently used for under $5000 each, which got me machines MUCH better than the new garage made units.

If I were to buy new it would be the machine built by the people who built the original 405 many years ago.

That's Sapphire Scientific now.

Reactions: Able 1

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom