Advertising in local High School Football magazine

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It's a donation.

Here is a better idea if you want to be an "athletic supporter" :p .

Go to the school and with their blessing put your logo on mini footballs, cost you a buck or so apiece . Have the cheerleaders toss them out periodically at every game.

250-qty 5-games 50 kids will love you per game. :winky:

It won't get you work but neither would the ad. :neutral:

Maybe ask the announcer to mention your name when they throw the footballs???

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Think its a great idea but feel we need several of those things to move the needle. To get started yes and then build on it over time and add 10-20 more small guerilla type stuff like that. As a one and done wouldn't hold my breathe.

Or if its something you really enjoy and believe in, thats always worth it. My friend coaches little league football and is a plumber, im sure he brings in a couple jobs but it really doesn't matter.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You could do the same with T-shirts, kids and adults go nutz over T-shirts throw in the crowd.

Set a budget of $500.00 but cheap T-shirts for $6-$8.00 with team logo or name and your logo and slogan on the back. They can throw out 10-12 every game for 5-games.

Your message gets seen for the life of the shirt.......just hope the kid that gets one isn't some kind of juvenile delinquent! :winky:

It shows you are a true team supporter, crowd loves it and you get some good PR.

Shane I agree it's a small nothing but a lot of them together keeps your name out there. Probably of more value for us in small communities but you can always work your neighborhood.

We have another parade coming up on the 6th of July. Just a couple of transits and a dozen walkers throwing candy. Will it bring work doubtful but those guys have a blast doing it and it's low cost....so why not! :icon_cool:

Another small town USA thing. :winky:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
You could do the same with T-shirts, kids and adults go nutz over T-shirts throw in the crowd.

Set a budget of $500.00 but cheap T-shirts for $6-$8.00 with team logo or name and your logo and slogan on the back. They can throw out 10-12 every game for 5-games.

Your message gets seen for the life of the shirt.......just hope the kid that gets one isn't some kind of juvenile delinquent! :winky:

It shows you are a true team supporter, crowd loves it and you get some good PR.

Shane I agree it's a small nothing but a lot of them together keeps your name out there. Probably of more value for us in small communities but you can always work your neighborhood.

We have another parade coming up on the 6th of July. Just a couple of transits and a dozen walkers throwing candy. Will it bring work doubtful but those guys have a blast doing it and it's low cost....so why not! :icon_cool:

Another small town USA thing. :winky:

I agree with you 100%, you set up many events.
1 is not going to be worth it IMO, but if you budget say $2-3k and set up 10 throughout the year THEN you can make some headway.

My whole thing with marketing in general in this industry is frequency/reach. I always fixate on that part first then content, just my worthless,unqualified opinion.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
That kind of gimmicky advertising never got me one single job, spend that cash on some postcards or some internet marketing.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I have recieved multiple calls regarding this type of advertising and from what I understand, they are booster clubs and fundraising programs for the specific sport.

I have been skepticle but have not tried it so don't know if it works, but can see in certain private schools might work better than at public schools but that's just down here.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
http://www.gamedaymediaonline.com/calHigh.html

This company called and wants $350 for a quarter page ad.

The Magazine/guide gets handed out at five home games to an audience of 1000 per game.

Any of you see and action from this sort of thing?

Here is our experience
We did this over a two year period of time.
The school was highly unorganized. They see it as a donation and do not get the ROI you are looking for.

We even gave a 10% back to the Athletic program.

We got nothing we could track.

Here is what I think would work over time.

You need the main full page ad for all sports year round. Inside cover or back of the book.
You need to go for the long haul.
You all so need some signage in the Stadium / Gym

If you had kids in the high school and could net work at events over time you could develop this.

Just our experience.

I personally think sponsoring Little league teams with your name on the shirt would get you more.
You could show up once per year with ice cream and $50 cleaning cards for the parents.
Be sure to bring the truck so it is in the parking lot during your teams game.
Around here teams need about $350 for a sponsor ship.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
I drove my van to all of the sporting and band events at the high school and had that billboard parked outside. That campaign is over now, my youngest just graduated High School.

How much of the $$$ goes to the High School in those print programs? Remember at the end of the day, it still is print advertising.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Another thing with schools, if you feel you need to be in their year book (another donation) then don't just put an ad in the book with all the others. Have them take a shot with some of the Spirit squad, the mascot, the team (which ever is your favorite), the band, along side your truck. That way at least the parents of the kids will point it out to someone "look at me I'm in the book with the carpet cleaning van".

No you don't get work from this type of stuff, if you do it's long term down the road sort of thing.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I do the cheerleader throw outs one time a year... Never got a job, but it is for my kids school,so whatever..

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I personally think sponsoring Little league teams with your name on the shirt would get you more.

Plus, it's pretty dam cool seeing our biz on the back of a bunch of little guys! No jobs from it yet, but that's not why we did it, it's dirt cheap($200), my cousin is a coach and his kids on the team.

We also get a plaque at the end of the year.

Back
Top Bottom