Advice for a beginner carpet cleaner

Sal K

Name
Sal
Hi everyone. This is Sal from Orange County, California. I am about to start a cleaning business and trying to learn a lot by reading comments here everyday and watching a lot of videos on Youtube. I am planning to take the carpet cleaning technician course but due to Covid situation, they are only offered online here. I think that in class education with some hands-on experience would teach me more. I wanted to get your advice. I know there is many experienced professionals here. What would be your advice to a beginner carpet cleaner who wants to get some experience?

Sal

Reactions: Living The Dream

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Hi everyone. This is Sal from Orange County, California. I am about to start a cleaning business and trying to learn a lot by reading comments here everyday and watching a lot of videos on Youtube. I am planning to take the carpet cleaning technician course but due to Covid situation, they are only offered online here. I think that in class education with some hands-on experience would teach me more. I wanted to get your advice. I know there is many experienced professionals here. What would be your advice to a beginner carpet cleaner who wants to get some experience?

Sal
You don't get a lot of hands on experience in an iicrc course. Mainly theory. I think you will be better off to see if you can get a ride along with a good local carpet cleaner. First you want to think about the market you want to be in. Residential, commercial, houses or free standing buildings or condos. This will determine what equipment you need to focus on.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
  1. Learn how to be a great cleaner so that you know, therefore project to your clients that they are getting a good deal.
  2. Understand that even the best (technically) cleaner will fail if he/she does not understand, apply and hussles good fundamental marketing.

Last edited:

Sal K

Name
Sal
You don't get a lot of hands on experience in an iicrc course. Mainly theory. I think you will be better off to see if you can get a ride along with a good local carpet cleaner. First you want to think about the market you want to be in. Residential, commercial, houses or free standing buildings or condos. This will determine what equipment you need to focus on.

Thanks. I actually did ride along with a carpet cleaner for a few days but he was also new with 3 months experience and only did 2 jobs together. I understand the hose set up now but did not have a chance to do tile and grout cleaning or urine treatment. So I have to find someone with more experience.
I believe i am going to end up doing both residential and commercial. I want to be two method cleaner with TM and VLM as many suggested here. So learning VLM will be another thing:)

Sal

Name
Swani
Hello and Welcome! Do you have any equipment right now? When I first started I had a portable and cleaned for all my friends and family to get a feel for it and figure out a routine. You don't want to get in the habit of giving away free service but you also don't want to be learning in the customer's home.

Sal K

Name
Sal
  1. Learn how to be a great cleaner so that you know, therefore project to your client, that they are getting a good deal.
  2. Understand that even the best (technically) cleaner will fail if he/she does not understand, apply and hussles good fundamental marketing.
Yes good points. I know that internet will be important for marketing and I will start with zero reviews. Some pay Yelp and Google to get customers. I am thinking to do at the beginning since I don't have customers. Also I am considering Direct mail marketing. Any suggestion?

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Yes good points. I know that internet will be important for marketing and I will start with zero reviews. Some pay Yelp and Google to get customers. I am thinking to do at the beginning since I don't have customers. Also I am considering Direct mail marketing. Any suggestion?
Do you have business cards? If not get some ASAP and start handing them out like a drunk sailor. (We call those coasties). Changer your name from Serkan to "Serkan the carpet cleaner". Get excited about what you do and bore everyone around you with your excitement. It will catch on and you'll be cleaning their carpets.

Sal K

Name
Sal
Hello and Welcome! Do you have any equipment right now? When I first started I had a portable and cleaned for all my friends and family to get a feel for it and figure out a routine. You don't want to get in the habit of giving away free service but you also don't want to be learning in the customer's home.
Yes definitely. I don't have any equipment yet but most likely I am buying a TM next month. After I purchase the TM and have all the equipment, I will visit friends for sure:) I am also planning to get a big piece of carpet for stain removal exercise.

Sal K

Name
Sal
Do you have business cards? If not get some ASAP and start handing them out like a drunk sailor. (We call those coasties). Changer your name from Serkan to "Serkan the carpet cleaner". Get excited about what you do and bore everyone around you with your excitement. It will catch on and you'll be cleaning their carpets.
Not yet. I will get to it. I will also get some door hangers too. I am planning to use Sal instead of Serkan. Its easier for customers

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Knock on doors. Maybe not residential but commercial for sure. Look at the types of commercial you would like, then go ask for them. The worst they can do is say no.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
best marketing is to build relationships. Find people that know people that you can clean for. Carpet Stores, Realtors (my favorite) etc.

Realize that this is a BUSINESS. Anybody can clean carpet. But if your in this for the long haul its business management that will make or break you.

Mack Clark had it down to these. Planning, Staffing, Organization, Direction and Control. Without these you will just end up with a job.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Do not pass out business cards. Pass out magnets. On a budget you can buy card sized magnets at Office Max that have an adhesive surface. Stick your cards on them.

Chemicals: Find a local supplier and ask advice. There is no universal magic chemical. Eventually you will wind up with a favorite three or four things and that is fine.

Training: Keep reading and youtubeing. Yes, ask for ride alongs, maybe outside your area a bit. Much of what you learn will be bullshit. Too harsh a chemical, not vacuuming, aggressive upselling, cutting corners. Mark it well because you should plan to rise above those bums and be excellent.

Appearance: clean shoes, khaki pants with a crease, a nice polo or buttoned shirt. No hat. No shorts unless they are dressy. No tee shirts. No hat in the house. No chewing tobacco or smokes. Get your hair cut neatly. Start brushing your teeth with peroxide to whiten them. Use a speed stick, not cologne. Smile when you speak. Don’t talk too much, listen instead. Be direct. Don’t vomit the latest stuff you learned, it sounds dorky. Use “Yes Sir” and “Yes Maam” for people older.
Good luck!

Mikey P

Administrator
Do not pass out business cards. Pass out magnets. On a budget you can buy card sized magnets at Office Max that have an adhesive surface. Stick your cards on them.

Chemicals: Find a local supplier and ask advice. There is no universal magic chemical. Eventually you will wind up with a favorite three or four things and that is fine.

Training: Keep reading and youtubeing. Yes, ask for ride alongs, maybe outside your area a bit. Much of what you learn will be bullshit. Too harsh a chemical, not vacuuming, aggressive upselling, cutting corners. Mark it well because you should plan to rise above those bums and be excellent.

Appearance: clean shoes, khaki pants with a crease, a nice polo or buttoned shirt. No hat. No shorts unless they are dressy. No tee shirts. No hat in the house. No chewing tobacco or smokes. Get your hair cut neatly. Start brushing your teeth with peroxide to whiten them. Use a speed stick, not cologne. Smile when you speak. Don’t talk too much, listen instead. Be direct. Don’t vomit the latest stuff you learned, it sounds dorky. Use “Yes Sir” and “Yes Maam” for people older.
Good luck!
no Van advice?

Willy P

Name
Willy P

Good luck!
I agree with no business cards. I have toilet paper with my logo on it. I use 2 ply.
Chemicals. Tide is your friend. Pine sol makes a great prespray.
Machinery. Bissel if your on a tight budget or if your a high roller, get an oreck wiggler. 2 pads and your good for a busy week.
Training. Over rated. Youtube it. Learn to make ridiculous excuses to cover your ass.
Appearance. A sweat stained wife beater, a speedo banana hammock and crocs. Wear for a week before washing so they stick in place. Drain a can of beer before each job. Alcohol will disinfect your breath. Don't bother showering except weekly.Fart when you need to, sharing is caring. Smoke in the house if you want one.
Advertising. Nail hand painted signs for $4.95 a room on telephone poles around town,and then nail them for chemicals. An extra 50 a room for premium Tide is acceptable,

Last edited:
Name
Swani
Yes definitely. I don't have any equipment yet but most likely I am buying a TM next month. After I purchase the TM and have all the equipment, I will visit friends for sure:) I am also planning to get a big piece of carpet for stain removal exercise.
One of the best things I learned from these groups is to charge what you're worth. Many people don't value their time. When I was thinking about starting my business my first train of thought was to be cheap and do a good job and win all the customers over to my business, but luckily I read up on these boards and realized that's a terrible plan. If you charge cheap you will get cheap customers and then when you realize how much you really need to be charging it will be next to impossible to raise your prices and keep that customer base. Also I recommend reading "The E Myth Revisited " by Michael Gerber before starting. That book changed my way of thinking.

Sal K

Name
Sal
One of the best things I learned from these groups is to charge what you're worth. Many people don't value their time. When I was thinking about starting my business my first train of thought was to be cheap and do a good job and win all the customers over to my business, but luckily I read up on these boards and realized that's a terrible plan. If you charge cheap you will get cheap customers and then when you realize how much you really need to be charging it will be next to impossible to raise your prices and keep that customer base. Also I recommend reading "The E Myth Revisited " by Michael Gerber before starting. That book changed my way of thinking.
Yes you are right about pricing. Actually, I was thinking about offering low price to get customers at the beginning until I start reading here. One question about pricing. If you go to a house and see some bad stains on the carpet and decide to charge extra because of the spot treatment time, what happens if the stains don't come out? I understand the part that you should not overpromise to the customer so they should expect that stains may not come out completely but how do you reflect that to your pricing?

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Yes you are right about pricing. Actually, I was thinking about offering low price to get customers at the beginning until I start reading here. One question about pricing. If you go to a house and see some bad stains on the carpet and decide to charge extra because of the spot treatment time, what happens if the stains don't come out? I understand the part that you should not overpromise to the customer so they should expect that stains may not come out completely but how do you reflect that to your pricing?
If you go to your mechanic to discuss your vehicles problems , he's still gonna charge you for it needing to be replaced.

stain work is no different, I originally didn't charge if I wasnt successful but I charge regardless now for the attempt

Sal K

Name
Sal

Good luck!
Thanks for the great advices.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Latest posts

Latest Auctions

Back
Top Bottom