Advice for a beginner carpet cleaner

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
If you go to your mechanic to discuss your vehicles problems , he's still gonna charge you for it needing to be replaced.

stain work is no different, I originally didn't charge if I wasnt successful but I charge regardless now for the attempt
Just make sure you are qualified for the attempt. That's what I tell my customers. I can't guaranty that I can remove the stain but I can guaranty that I have the training and the products to properly address the situation.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I don't like to charge extra for stains. You're there to clean the carpet, and stain treatment is part of cleaning. Just adjust your prices accordingly to each job, and never guarantee stain removal. In your cleaning, just mention that you will treat the stains to the best of your ability with no guarantee.

Reactions: Jimmy L and Sal K

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I don't like to charge extra for stains. You're there to clean the carpet, and stain treatment is part of cleaning. Just adjust your prices accordingly to each job, and never guarantee stain removal. In your cleaning, just mention that you will treat the stains to the best of your ability with no guarantee.
Depends on the stains. I agree with you for the most part but if there are too many urine stains or other, I charge. Charge for my time and the extra products needed. Not my problem that they're slobs

Reactions: Sal K

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Let's just say there's 4 spots that are damaged from urine. And you want to separate that on your invoice:
$40 to treat urine

$150 for carpet cleaning.

And the customer says:
"Leave out the urine treatment and just clean the carpet"

And you say:
"Well ma'am that's not possible, because the urine will still be there".

And the customer says:
"What the hell?"

Get my point?

Just include all the carpet cleaning and urine treatment in one price on the invoice and you won't have any questioning. But be sure to build value by listing what exactly you'll be doing in that final price. You're the professional...not them, so tell them what will be done to make their carpet back to "Barefoot Status" and how much it will cost.

Reactions: Jimmy L

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Its easy to explain, If you spill red wine on your white shirt and put it in the wash it will be clean, but it will still have a stain. Do you want me to attempt the stain removal or just clean?

If you dont break down the price for the stain work, your area rate looks inflated

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Let's just say there's 4 spots that are damaged from urine. And you want to separate that on your invoice:
$40 to treat urine

$150 for carpet cleaning.

And the customer says:
"Leave out the urine treatment and just clean the carpet"

And you say:
"Well ma'am that's not possible, because the urine will still be there".

And the customer says:
"What the hell?"

Get my point?

Just include all the carpet cleaning and urine treatment in one price on the invoice and you won't have any questioning. But be sure to build value by listing what exactly you'll be doing in that final price. You're the professional...not them, so tell them what will be done to make their carpet back to "Barefoot Status" and how much it will cost.
No, we add everything up and that's the job. We give the customer the opportunity to yes or no.

Sal K

Name
Sal
Are you planning to be a VLM only cleaner?

Don’t fall into that lie.

VLM is spectacular for commercial carpet, but not dirty residential... no matter how cheap it is to get started.

Ask me how I know.
No, I don't want to be VLM only. TM and VLM together. I want to be good at both and have more ammunition to fit myself to all kind of jobs. Yes I read a lot that VLM is good for Berber carpets and clean residential carpets. I will try to use VLM for those. Thanks for the advice.

Sal K

Name
Sal
What do you guys think about portables? I am thinking VLM can be a good option if my hose cannot reach the area but in that case, what if I need to clean the furniture or carpet is too dirty for VLM. Do most of you experienced cleaners cary portable too?

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
What do you guys think about portables? I am thinking VLM can be a good option if my hose cannot reach the area but in that case, what if I need to clean the furniture or carpet is too dirty for VLM. Do most of you experienced cleaners cary portable too?
I would rather drill my eyes out with a butter knife than use a porty in the field.
I do use my porty in my rug shop. I always have it ready to go.
I have much respect for porty hacks. Its a hard life.

Last edited:

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
your market determines your equipment

my porty gets used maybe 6 times a year?

Possibly will use it this arvo on 3rd floor apartment, depends what parking will be like

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Most do. I did for many years till I gifted myself not working with a portable no more. It is just so much more work. However if you are disciplined and can keep doing good work no matter what, you can do great cleaning with a portable.

When I worked with a portable my charges were quite a bit higher to justify the extra time it took me to achieve quality results. It also weeded out the price shoppers and allowed me to be reasonably compensated. Even though I charged higher prices, I always made more per hour with the TM.

Therefore, if you are in an area that has many high rises and condos, a portable is a must. It will pay for itself in less than 10 jobs.

Last edited:

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Even an entry level TM can go 150, no problem. A 45 blower TM can go 200 feet. Anything beyond that and you’re probably doing commercial and that’s where VLM works.

Mikey P

Administrator

I suppose if you only want to do one job a day...

Sal K

Name
Sal
Thanks for the comments. Looks like I have to see the market first and decide later on adding a portable if there is a real need for it. Not many high rises here but there are many apartments and condos.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom