Advice for a beginner carpet cleaner

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
What he said, except the porty work is easy partšŸ˜
When you do enough of it, it becomes easy. I do a ton of small portable jobs. My equipment fits together and rolls into an elevator no problem. Takes no more time to set up than a truck mount. On heavy soil we add agitation just like we do with a truck mount. I have powerful vacuums on my portable and use a glided wand just like my truck mount. An average 1 bedroom suite takes less than an hour for $150. A lot of my condos have only 1 or 2 rooms of carpet but have a ton of upholstery or vertical blinds. I can easily do a $500-$700 job in a condo. What's not to like?

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
How do you get it out of the truck? Agitation crb? Do you haul the vacuum
with the agitator? How many cords? Prespray with a hydraforce? What do you use to refill, and get water? I use em too, but it ainā€™t easy. Lastly, when I use one, I roll it in a trailer, so it stops being easy at that point, but easier. #runonsentence

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mikey P

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Thanks for the comments. Looks like I have to see the market first and decide later on adding a portable if there is a real need for it. Not many high rises here but there are many apartments and condos.
Thanks for the comments. Looks like I have to see the market first and decide later on adding a portable if there is a real need for it. Not many high rises here but there are many apartments and condos.
So whatā€™s your business plan so far besides equipment? Thatā€™s a very small part

Reactions: Sal K

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
with the agitator? How many cords? Prespray with a hydraforce? What do you use to refill, and get water? I use em too, but it ainā€™t easy. Lastly, when I use one, I roll it in a trailer, so it stops being easy at that point, but easier. #runonsentence
It's easy to lift out of the truck. I also have a ramp if I need my big one. If I need the vacuum or CRB, I just go back to the truck and get it, just like you would with a truck mount. Fill it with a 5 gallon pail from the bath tub or kitchen sink. As the Paul is filling, I am unwrapping the 2 power cords and setting up the solution line. By the time I finish, the machine is full. Prespray with the hydra-force, agitate or not, hook up the vacuum hose and start cleaning. 500 psi pump and 2-3 stage vacuums makes short work of any carpet. Usually the machine stays in the hallway and I just run hoses into the suite. I hang my pail with necessary chems and accessories from a bungee cord. Hoses coiled around the handles, hydra-force strapped on the front. Hold the wand in one hand and pull the machine with the other. I don't go up and down stairs. The portable is only for jobs the truck mount can't reach. In the city, that's a lot.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
The only time the porty is easy, is when itā€™s used at the location it stays at.
I have a Cobra with the hose reel, but itā€™s still a pita. Actually, all of itā€™s easy if I ainā€™t doing itšŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Actually I was fortunate enough
To be managing a 585 unit apt building with 585 captive customers ....all Jewish old people that would pretty much do as I sED.....
I was kick started from the get-go!
My wife ran the office while I went out on the boat....OH YEA....I had a great helper too...!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Compare what you do with a portable with trying to clean a 3rd floor apartment with a truck mount. I've seen guys pulling off hose and carrying it up in the elevator. Usually have to make 2 trips. Lower the hose down, trying not to know over flower pots and other things on the balconies below you. After a few trips up and down the elevator setting up, you start the truck and start cleaning. When you're done, you have to carefully drop the hose with out hitting anything or anyone and without sucking up anything as well. Do you leave your truck running, burning gas while you collect payment or do you run down again to shut it off? Using a truck mount when a portable is the better tool for the job can be more work and take longer. A good portable will have a 300-500 psi pump and 2-3stage vacuums on 2 power cords. 2 inch plumbing if you need to run extra hose.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
You lift it out. CRB and vac will require a helper or a second trip.I request my customer vacuums or theres a 25 dollar housekeeping charge. A good machine will use 2 cords, dual vacs and a 500 psi pump. but I use a 2 cord electric heater for 4 if the power is available. Hydroforce of course. If it fits on the tap I have a filler hose. I also use a 2 man crew as its quite productive and do well with it.

Sal K

Name
Sal
So whatā€™s your business plan so far besides equipment? Thatā€™s a very small part
Good question. My business plan after getting all the equipment will be mostly using many marketing channels to reach out as many people I can. First I will find someone good at SEO marketing for the website. This is something I am not good at. I will open a Yelp and Google account and pay them for premium positioning to get some customer so I can start getting reviews. I have never done Yelp or Google advertising so i will try to see if its worth the money. Let me know your experience on this. (Also about Facebook advertising, Angie's list). I have direct mail marketing in my mind for an upscale area to see if it works or not. Of course, I will print out business cards, fliers, door hangers, magnets etc. I see that you are giving out free spot cleaners to your customers with your information on the bottle. I will do that too. I heard Jon-Don is doing it. (If you have any other gift idea, pls let me know) I want to get in touch with Realtors, apartment and commercial property managers. I will start from these and try to learns more as I go.
So I want to be aggressive in marketing at the beginning. If you have any suggestion, I would love to hear.
Beside these, I need to set up my pricing. I think I will go with sqft pricing. Income level looks good around here and I will try to set up my prices based on that. I am still doing research on that and looking at other companies around here.

Name
Swani
During the Winter and depending on the size of the job, I will sometimes opt to use my portable over my TM. I can fit my portable and 175 in the back of my vehicle and I don't have to worry about freezing up.

Reactions: Cleanworks
Name
Swani
Good question. My business plan after getting all the equipment will be mostly using many marketing channels to reach out as many people I can. First I will find someone good at SEO marketing for the website. This is something I am not good at. I will open a Yelp and Google account and pay them for premium positioning to get some customer so I can start getting reviews. I have never done Yelp or Google advertising so i will try to see if its worth the money. Let me know your experience on this. (Also about Facebook advertising, Angie's list). I have direct mail marketing in my mind for an upscale area to see if it works or not. Of course, I will print out business cards, fliers, door hangers, magnets etc. I see that you are giving out free spot cleaners to your customers with your information on the bottle. I will do that too. I heard Jon-Don is doing it. (If you have any other gift idea, pls let me know) I want to get in touch with Realtors, apartment and commercial property managers. I will start from these and try to learns more as I go.
So I want to be aggressive in marketing at the beginning. If you have any suggestion, I would love to hear.
Beside these, I need to set up my pricing. I think I will go with sqft pricing. Income level looks good around here and I will try to set up my prices based on that. I am still doing research on that and looking at other companies around here.
Are you employed right now or will this be your sole income? I think I mentioned it before but I highly recommend getting the book The E Myth Revisited. I have it on audible and it's an amazing book.

Sal K

Name
Sal
Are you employed right now or will this be your sole income? I think I mentioned it before but I highly recommend getting the book The E Myth Revisited. I have it on audible and it's an amazing book.
I have a small retail business in shopping malls in La but they are still closed because of Covid and stupid La county. This is the main reason I want to get into this business. Once malls are open, I will have a side income but my main focus will be the cleaning business.
Yes I did order that book and just received today. I will definitely read it.

Reactions: Living The Dream

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I have a small retail business in shopping malls in La but they are still closed because of Covid and stupid La county. This is the main reason I want to get into this business. Once malls are open, I will have a side income but my main focus will be the cleaning business.
Yes I did order that book and just received today. I will definitely read it.
Get the audio version. And learn to like pies.

• Haha
Reactions: Living The Dream

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
In my area, Angies list and yelp are a waste of money and energy from the salespeople calling you. As for SEO...you can do most of it yourself with updated pictures and videos to post on your google business page and facebook business page. And if you don't have a website made yet, use your facebook business page as your site on your google listing. And don't slack on your facebook page. Fill in every detail that's possible.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
As long as you are gonna throw all that money away.....don't forget the
Yellow pages.....as for all the property
Managers...they will sell you
Out to save a nickel in order to look good!
And as for those little spotter bottles...
Make sure to put yor name and phone
Number clearly on the bottle so the lawyers can take you to court when
Little Larry sneaks under the sink and
Swigs the bottle empty......

Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
As long as you are gonna throw all that money away.....don't forget the
Yellow pages.....as for all the property
Managers...they will sell you
Out to save a nickel in order to look good!
And as for those little spotter bottles...
Make sure to put yor name and phone
Number clearly on the bottle so the lawyers can take you to court when
Little Larry sneaks under the sink and
Swigs the bottle empty......
And shopping cart ads

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Thanks for all the pro porty advice fellasšŸ˜ As Matthew Quigley said, ā€œI never said I couldnā€™t use one, I said I had no use for one.ā€ This ainā€™t Dodge City, and you ainā€™t Bill Hickok.

Reactions: Nomad74

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom