Advice for a friend

Studebaker

Name
Studebaker
He's ready to pull the trigger. Give me your thoughts. I have my own, but will wait.

2002 Chevy (extended) with 2002 White Magic 1200 truck mount  with all accessories for $18,500  

or 2008 GMC (standard length ) 2008 Hydramaster  4.8 Salsa  with all accessories for $ 30K

F

FB7777

Gimme the real asking prices first.. Cuz in this market both sellers are smoking crack

Name
Lee Stockwell
I have a local competitor who has a clean 98 Chevy with a 1200pro for under $6k.

I offered him less, it's been sitting for a year. He went out of biz and is installing Dish satellites. Says he makes way more money.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Studebaker said:
He's ready to pull the trigger. Give me your thoughts. I have my own, but will wait.

2002 Chevy (extended) with 2002 White Magic 1200 truck mount  with all accessories for $18,500  

or 2008 GMC (standard length ) 2008 Hydramaster  4.8 Salsa  with all accessories for $ 30K
How many truck miles/ machine hours on each, Keith?

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
I have a 2008 CDS w/salsa bought new that I put in a 2007 Chevy reg. 3/4 ton. The van had never been titled had 27,000 miles on it. The dealer had used it as a parts runner, got it for $14,000 and $22,000 for CDS. By the time I put in shelving my AirPath and other things I was still under $40,000. If you look there are ways to get new without breaking the bank. If i was going to by another rig I would go the same way, late model low milage van and new TM, although I do think I would go back to a slide in.

John Watson

Keith, is this for an existing or a new start up buiness? Is he upgrading? Hrs/miles on prospective equipment,

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I have no idea about the prices.An extended van is a plus.

However, unless he is mechanically inclined, I'd always go with a newer truck, if it has less miles.
Also, from what I know the CDS has a much better dependability record. I had them for over twenty years and they are close to trouble free machines.

Paying a little more and having a machine and van that will give you less trouble, in my book, is well worth it (both financially, peace of mind and for the business reputation.)

Studebaker said:
So give me something. He's going to fly to sacramento or Chicago.
Weather wise?
No contest. Who in their right mind would want to be in Chicago in the winter? :p
Sacramento of course, and he can also go to Mikey's fest.
And win mike's old gas guzzler, noise Mobil. Which will allow him to triple wand (when working, rumored to be every third Wednesday of the month or so.)
I think it's one of the door prizes this year :shock:

Bob Foster

The 1200 is simpler machine to work on but depending on the hours on the unit and truck, the truck might be worn out.

Given what is likely left of life in the two trucks, the HM would be the better buy. If either unit has over 5000 hours walk away. Each hour on the TM is equivalent to 20-30 miles on the truck engine in either case.

If they are both under 3000 hours (not likely on the WM) then I would save the money if he is just starting out and by the WM.

The WM is worth no more than 12 and the HM is worth no more than 22K.

Neither of these units are worth transplanting into a new van.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Both rigs seem to be priced way high.

Wouldn't want a CDS.

Wouldn't want a standard-length van.

Studebaker

Name
Studebaker
the red 2008 GMC has about 38k Miles and the machine has 1020 hours (Direct drive 2008 hydramaster 4.8 Salsa)

The White 2002 Chevy has 44k Miles with a 2002 White Magic 1200  with 660 hours on it.(direct drive)

He has a very successful window cleaning company and is going to add on. Very smart guy.

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Most likely the gmc 02 has the 5.7 vortec engine. If so, they are a tank, but on the other hand, they also had problems with the intake gaskets leaking.

If he goes the 02 route, have him get under the van and look on the back side of the motor. If the intake gasket is leaking even a little, there will be a trail down the backside of the block. He will be able to smell it too.

Studebaker

Name
Studebaker
So my friend flys down to Sacramento to buy the 2002 WM for $18500. When he gets there every thing has been taken off the truck. No accessories that were part of the deal.
I think this guy thought if he flew all the way down he would take it any way.

Why do people do this? Well he lost out, no sale. I will get the name of this person to see if anyone knows him. Funny thing is the guy has been texting my friend telling him he will now include everything....too late

Name
BradFenstermaker
Hope he left the guy laying on the ground holding his ballz. That's an expensive trip to deal with a jerk.

People do strange things in the economy trying to rip you off or save a penny.

Sorry your friend lost out on the deal.

Has he looked at Jondon used equipment on the web?

Truckmountdeals.com

Pacificvacuum.com?

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I have a 02 GMC with a pto and the 5.7 will suck you dry in repairs. intake gaskets, waterpumps, fuel pumps, hydro booster, radiators are just a few of the big ones. Now both main seals are leaking. only 69K driving miles on motor and 4200 on machine. I could have bought many kohler motors in what I have spent in the last 2500 machine hours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom