AGITATED!!! NEED INPUT???

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
Ok, sooooooooooo......
I am using invoice2go as software for my business. I need a new software program. I am looking at SM but dont want 2 software programs, 1 for scheduling, invoiceing etc and one for bookkeeping. Is there an all in one option or better to go SM and quickbooks??? Need to grow and expand!!!!

cobra

Name
DJ Holland
Ok, sooooooooooo......
I am using invoice2go as software for my business. I need a new software program. I am looking at SM but dont want 2 software programs, 1 for scheduling, invoiceing etc and one for bookkeeping. Is there an all in one option or better to go SM and quickbooks??? Need to grow and expand!!!!
That's my fear. So what to use for bookkeeping. SM doesn't offer that do they. looking at the demo now!

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
SM is great at showing what's coming in and from where. It doesn't help record expenses. I REALLY wish something was built into it. Something quick and easy or it won't get used. I'd love the ability to snap a pic of a receipt and create an expense...

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
SM is great at showing what's coming in and from where. It doesn't help record expenses. I REALLY wish something was built into it. Something quick and easy or it won't get used. I'd love the ability to snap a pic of a receipt and create an expense...
Russ, get an AMEX business card (just pay it off every month) and quickbooks online.

Not only can you snap pics of receipts but it also syncs with quickbooks and drops right into expenses.

Reactions: Russ T.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I don't see the problem. It's not like you're having to use a pen and a piece of paper to transfer everything into Quick Books. Why are most people in this industry such doofuses?

I WOULD like for SM to make it so I can accurately keep up with my s.f. cleaned though. When you put a s.f. amount and a price per s.f. in QB's, if the resulting dollar amount has pennies on it, you can adjust the total amount to what you want it to be and the price per s.f. will recalculate itself. So you don't have to deal with pennies. In SM, you can't. It won't adjust itself. It's a computer ... it should do things like this.

Reactions: jkowalski

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
When you put a s.f. amount and a price per s.f. in QB's, if the resulting dollar amount has pennies on it, you can adjust the total amount to what you want it to be and the price per s.f. will recalculate itself
Yes but when you do that aren't you ending up with a SQ/FT that is a has three more digits now? :confusedd:

We normally charge .35 sq/ft but when I round off the pennies I get .34933sq/ft. How does this help you???

rate_zpsrkalyhdz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hogjowl

hogjowl

Idiot™
No, not in QB's. When you change the $ total to a round number, the only other thing that changes is the price per s.f. The actual s.f. doesn't change.

In SM, to get a round number total, you have to leave the s.f. blank with a 1 in it, place your total price in the price per s.f. blank and then it puts the same number in the total column. Stupid. So, I have to keep up with my total s.f. cleaned via a spread sheet.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Ok, sooooooooooo......

Basically dj we have 3 parts of any business software.
Admin/bookeeping, operations/field service and sales/marketing.

First one is easy, quickbooks online. The other 2 you will have to decide what is most important to ya or spend a ton of money.
No software does everything perfectly. Some are great for field service and ok on marketing and others good on marketing but not good for managing several routes.

IMO first decide what features you want.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Shane's right, a complete database, scheduler, CRM solution for our industry doesn't exist. We're in the process of developing a completely integrated system, and it is serious money, so I can see why most don't bother. Even the larger independants typically use multiple systems and deal with multiple data entry.

I've seen Service Monster's developer site, and it appears that they acknowledge they can't be all things to all people, so are making it easy for a developer to integrate with your preferred database software. If more software companies did this you could get the components you want and plug them together, but they typically don't play well together.

PS: If you're having trouble with SM and QB, you might consider a move to QB Pro or QB online. The basic QB is badly written and allows errors, which create problems for other software.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
SM is great but don't see the need to transfer it's data to QB.

Just going to drive yourself mad with the $3.65 discrepancies.

I don't understand what you mean by $3.65 discrepancies. please explain. I use both SM n QB and I am totally unaware of such a thing.

I use SM for scheduling, QB for booking for tax reasons ( no place in SM to enter expenses) and Fittlebug to increase my sales.

Reactions: hogjowl

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
We use ServiceMonster with QuickBooks and it works great. We never have to go in ad make adjustments. Just do an IFF file transfer into QB, then receive payments in QB and we are good to go. If you don't want certain invoices to move over if there is an issue with them, or you don't want them in QB until after you receive payment, then you can just check off the box in the invoice and or payment to say it's posted and it won't go over in the IFF transfer. Then when you are ready, you can uncheck the box.

Our pricing is by the room so maybe that is why we aren't having the issues with cents carrying over incorrectly. I put as many expenses on the credit card as I can, but that all gets in QB and is broken down to specific categories on my P&L. I rarely print checks any more, so I do input payments that I make through my bank bill pay service.

Between the reports available on Service Monster and my P&L in QuickBooks, I have everything I need at my fingertips in minutes to have a snap shot of any part of my business.

Name
Nate W.
Shane's right, a complete database, scheduler, CRM solution for our industry doesn't exist. We're in the process of developing a completely integrated system, and it is serious money, so I can see why most don't bother. Even the larger independants typically use multiple systems and deal with multiple data entry.

I've seen Service Monster's developer site, and it appears that they acknowledge they can't be all things to all people, so are making it easy for a developer to integrate with your preferred database software. If more software companies did this you could get the components you want and plug them together, but they typically don't play well together.

PS: If you're having trouble with SM and QB, you might consider a move to QB Pro or QB online. The basic QB is badly written and allows errors, which create problems for other software.

My dad's friend Al Casas of Bobcat Carpet & Fabric Care spent some serious money to get a system to do everything they wanted. I know they used Mac computers. My dad was very impressed with his system. Much like SEO, it's never ending but always updating. We don't have 20g's to spare to build a system from scratch and have an I.T. guy tweak it to suit our needs.

Last edited:
Name
Lee Stockwell
People are too busy for a measuring trip, and the dog and pony show that sometimes entail.

I've learned to give a pretty accurate quote quickly if needed.

Just answer the phone and close the job.

Reactions: Papa John

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
People are too busy for a measuring trip, and the dog and pony show that sometimes entail.

I've learned to give a pretty accurate quote quickly if needed.

Just answer the phone and close the job.

correct...learn how to ask all the right questions............

hogjowl

Idiot™
I've tried. Lord knows I've tried to learn how to price by the room. I just can't make it work. Not to say I go out on every job for an estimate. The ones I've done before I have their measurements. The new ones, I either go out, or I give a guess and firm it up after I get there and measure. It is amazing how badly off I can be (the measurements Chavez, stay focused!). In the same neighborhood sizes and totals can swing wildly. But, it's not only for pricing that I measure. It's also to build data for production controls. I want to know on average how long it takes to clean under various different scenarios. You can't obtain this information without data.

From production times to product usage, as well as proper pricing, it's hard to maintain accurate controls without information. The number of rooms cleaned just doesn't do it for me.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom