Air Duct Cleaners hang out here?

smastio

Name
Steve Mastio
I'm curious if anyone can tell me if they do air duct cleaning as a part of their offering. How well is it working for you? Is it very profitable? What % of your business is it? That kind of stuff.

Thanks, Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott S.
Name
Matt Middleton
We have been cleaning air ducts for 14 years. We use abatement negative air units. It is profitable but different. Each home is unique in its ducting layout.

It has been a great addition to our business. It makes up 20% of our total company revenue.

In Arkansas you must have a class C HVAC license to operate. Not too difficult to pass. That regulation keeps out the riff/raff.

Take a look at Abatement's web site. Sometimes you can find a good deal for equipment on EBay.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

hogjowl

Idiot™
Last time I was at TCS, I sat there and watched Will sell some dude a duct cleaning/dryer vent cleaning kit for his TM. It looked well made, but I sat there listening to the conversation and was skeptical about the whole thing. After the sale was done and the guy had left, I asked Will if he thought the kit was really any good. He said he thought so and they sold plenty of them. All it was was a really beefy looking dust downer with a bunch of fancy brushes and stuff.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
That is the half ass way of cleaning ducts, you really need to make a port in the duct system and put the system under negative to actaully and effectively remove contaminates out of the structure.

If not you just knock it loose and blows back out of The register to eventually find its way back into intake and through the system. Actaully making the indoor air quality much worse than before you arrived.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
what about drier vent cleaning..

Local guy wants to sell me a $2500 set up on a trailer..
Don't buy it. There is a demand for the service and you truly can help prevent fires BUTT...it bites processing them. You get two kinds of calls. Those calling as a preventive measure, easy money.

Then those that have a true problem and the ducting has a blockage somewhere that won't allow their clothes to dry. These will cost you time, money and frustration.

It has lots of potential pitfalls. Damage to the flooring when moved about, liability with reattaching ducting. Just not as good a deal as it appears.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
@Dave Saiger ....he is our Duct cleaner in the family you could say...but our Youngest brother Kirk also does duct cleaning....

Dave has larger trailer mounted PVT and Kirk has large portable type...so they just use each others equipment as needed for certain situations....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We've done air duct cleaning for 20-years. Got into it so we could have control of the product we were once subcontracting. We also could just on emergency work, it's often one of the first things we do for fire damage work.

Saying that I think we did under 40k in air duct cleaning last year. I think we will always provide the service but I don't think it will ever be one of the major services we provide.

Reactions: Able 1

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
We've done air duct cleaning for 20-years. Got into it so we could have control of the product we were once subcontracting. We also could just on emergency work, it's often one of the first things we do for fire damage work.

Saying that I think we did under 40k in air duct cleaning last year. I think we will always provide the service but I don't think it will ever be one of the major services we provide.

Same reason for us too

We could get a fire and smoke project going faster under our control

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
what about drier vent cleaning..

Local guy wants to sell me a $2500 set up on a trailer..

Generally dryer vent cleaning is not as complicated as air duct cleaning--- in air duct cleaning each house has its unique issues which can slow you down.. I think Dryer vent cleaning in more important then the Air duct cleaning because it is more likely to prevent house fires.
Most Modern well installed air duct systems can be accentually self cleaning if the owner uses higher quality filters.

For Dryer vent cleaning In many case its easier to disconnect the hose and suck out using TM and or brushes. Just be sure to unplug the dryer 1st.. some have a sensor in dryer exhaust port which can be accidently shorted out during cleaning if not careful. Most dryer vent hose runs are short and straight out the opening in the wall. The ones that are prone to Fires-- and the ones that should be cleaned and check every couple of years are the installations that have vertical hose runs and or long hose runs.

there are many 'Fly-by night" ways to clean air ducts-- Dealtimeman has it right.

In 2010 I purchased over 10k worth of air duct stuff that was going to be Truckmounted- 2 months later SF govt-- says hey you cant put that stuff across the sidewalk! :hopeless:
now all my air duct stuff is in the Boneyard-- waiting for me to stop procrastinating and sell the stuff.
the portable stuff is slow to work with because it can damage the customer home if you don't move slooooow.
the stuff you use with the TM-- is hackish.

Bottomline-- I don't really offer the service because it takes too long and I didn't have the guts charge enough--- Oh and It increased my asthma/allergy attacks.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
We clean ducts every day, it's not that simple and any system that connects to your truckmount is a POS...period.

Cleaning dryer vents is usually easy using a backwards blowing ball and 200 psi of air. Sometimes a spinning brush, but the cable drive will simply shred or pull apart alot of dryer vents. You will be spending time repairing dryer vents no matter what you use.

We use a Myer vac and an air compressor, it makes many jobs easier, like using a TM, but it still isn't alot of fun unless you like crawlspaces and attics. Alot of jobs you will be spending time under a house with spiders, snakes, and rodent carcasses. Good Times!

Last edited:

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Take a twine hitch on a possum's tail, shove it into the vent and give it a kick. Pay out the line until it stops, then haul away for dear life!
The trick is to keep the possum moving. Just let it dig in for an instant and it'll be hardernheck to dislodge.

Once it comes popping out the vent (along with all the fuzz), whatever you do, don't try to cuddle the possum! I mean, that possum's gonna be maaaaad...

Just snip the twine and step aside.

Reactions: ruff

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom