An EMERGENCY TM Shutoff remote

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
I do allot of jobs 300+ft from the truck, and usually 3 stories up, with all the commercial work we do weekly (Around 10k sqft avg) We do MEX quite a bit, but most of it is so bad, we chose to Pre-Mex + HWE
If and WHEN a hose busts, belt gives way, or ANYTHING that causes us to run down the stairs back to the TM to SHUT IT OFF before catastrophe strikes, it would be nice to have a remote to just SHUT THE WHOLE THING DOWN if somethings not right. Or to just save fuel, so that during the 5 minute walk back to the truck its not burning fuel.
View attachment 1010
http://www.tractorsupply.com/fimco-12-volt-wireless-remote-on-off-switch-1014208

Up to 250ft range (Im sure thats line of sight!)

But I can usually see my van through a window as we clean.

Becker

Name
Becker
I could be wrong. But it is not for an engine.

I'd question something for $30 standing up to the punishment of a truck mount.

If you want it, and can be done.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
I could be wrong. But it is not for an engine.

I'd question something for $30 standing up to the punishment of a truck mount.

If you want it, and can be done.

I question its quality as well. I would probably hunt around for a more robust product.
But just something to break the 12v supply to a motor or a DD clutch is all we would need.

Name
Brad Gouveia
It would work like lee said with a relay. Just tie it into the ignition system. For me odds are the remote would fail sooner than my truck mount/hose does. Maybe once a year if that I have a need to remote shut down. I do try to take good care of my stuff, I can tell if I start to hear something funny or notice a small leak from my hose and fix it before it blows. I know the remote sitting in my pocket would get damaged from getting wet or everyday use and then the one time I need it would be dead.

Maybe it is just me. I dont know.

Name
Brad Gouveia
It would work like lee said with a relay. Just tie it into the ignition system. For me odds are the remote would fail sooner than my truck mount/hose does. Maybe once a year if that I have a need to remote shut down. I do try to take good care of my stuff, I can tell if I start to hear something funny or notice a small leak from my hose and fix it before it blows. I know the remote sitting in my pocket would get damaged from getting wet or everyday use and then the one time I need it would be dead.

Maybe it is just me. I dont know.

Reactions: Ken Snow

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I too have been keeping an eye out for some sort of safety!.

Bet I can make it down the stairs faster then you!

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
You can buy a pilot 12v remote solenoid with four separate Channels at pep boys for 40 dollars. But it only works up to 75 feet or so.

You can wire it , to ground out the particular circuit you want to shut off. The easiest way to do it, is to change your on off switches to momentaries and run relays to bridge power. When the controller is used it will ground one leg shutting down the unit.

Once set up you can use the different channels to run different operations like turning pump on and off, turning your pump out on and off,c turning lights on, off ect....

Name
Lee Stockwell
I'd hate to do a hard shutdown (full load) very often. IF a sequence of opening the bypass and reducing rpm before shutting down could be done remotely it would be a winner.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I do allot of jobs 300+ft from the truck, and usually 3 stories up, with all the commercial work we do weekly (Around 10k sqft avg) We do MEX quite a bit, but most of it is so bad, we chose to Pre-Mex + HWE
If and WHEN a hose busts, belt gives way, or ANYTHING that causes us to run down the stairs back to the TM to SHUT IT OFF before catastrophe strikes, it would be nice to have a remote to just SHUT THE WHOLE THING DOWN if somethings not right. Or to just save fuel, so that during the 5 minute walk back to the truck its not burning fuel.
View attachment 1010
http://www.tractorsupply.com/fimco-12-volt-wireless-remote-on-off-switch-1014208

Up to 250ft range (Im sure thats line of sight!)

But I can usually see my van through a window as we clean.

If my memory serves me right, there was a cleaner that was either on one of the "lesser" boards, or in one of the cleaner mags....ICS or Cleanfax.....that had his entire Prochem set up to run by remote. He was maybe a "tech geek" of Pakastani desent. I don't know if there are archives back 20 years to search.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Most industrial stand alone motors have a murphy switch which sences oil preasure and over heating and will automatically shut down the motor in the case of emergency.
In situations such as a blown hose would a remote car starter not work for this? some of the better ones can go over 1000 ft.and all you need is a key for your controller.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Most industrial stand alone motors have a murphy switch which sences oil preasure and over heating and will automatically shut down the motor in the case of emergency.
In situations such as a blown hose would a remote car starter not work for this? some of the better ones can go over 1000 ft.and all you need is a key for your controller.

you can't use a remote start...they are only good for a hour run and then they shut down....I have heard that there are infinity remote starts but I have not really took the time to look into it....you can teach a remote start RPM's....but you can't manipulate the time....I had a remote start on my vortex and a alarm system...I could open any door on the box and still arm the cab...and remote start the UD....I just added a cheater switch onto the machine control panel to trick it into thinking there was a key in the ignition so I could get more then a hour run time out of it........the cab would stay armed with the truck running but I could get in and out of the box....with all the doors on the cab and the box closed the whole truck was armed.....if a problem happened I could hit the panic button and kill both the machine and the truck....

i don't have a remote start on any of the trucks I have now...i don't have any PTO's anymore but..they are set up to separate the cab from the rest if I feel the need to lock them down.......

a little understanding of relays....a bit of common since...and knowing where the best place to hook things up to to what you want them to do....you can pretty much do anything that you want to.....

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Newman I currently use a unit almost identically like the one you posted on one my vehicles.

they are simple but built to last.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
How I'd do it would be with an alarm that has optional use outputs - marry it with the right combo of relays to trigger an ignition kill via remote.

Personally I'd use a car alarm with optional use output triggers - tap either the oil pressure or waste tank kills just for ease of install - so you wouldn't have to go chopping up ignition wires behind what is on most TM's a not so fun place to access wires.

The alarm would be tucked under the van dash well away from the high heat and vibration, isolated from the TM's electrical system (as what if that is what is causing your malfunction, could defeat the purpose), and your van now has an alarm (will lower your insurance a touch). If you already have an aftermarket alarm, it's likely you already have what you need less a few dollars in relays and install.

As car alarm outputs are going to function differently - finding a good installer and telling him what "trigger" you need should be the best solution.

If I am not mistaken, Stanley S can shut their TM's down remotely through their gps systems - so they are doing it the exact same way as described above - just the gps optional triggers are the brains performing the function.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
A simple murphy switch will detect oil preasure loss and over heating and shut down the motor automatically.

There is a lot that can go wrong that won't shut the TM down via sensor. Had a pulley come off a water pump once and a direct drive blower coupler came apart in 03-04 when I was in field. Heard both immediately in house - pretty sure a good bit of secondary damage would have been avoided with a faster shutdown.

JoeClean

A simple murphy switch will detect oil preasure loss and over heating and shut down the motor automatically.

How do you tie that in to get the engine oil pressure and coolant temp? Can you link to a good one that will work on a Chevy van?
Still haven't set one up on my cleanco. Lazy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom