Angry Customer

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
We cleaned a linen couch back in march. It is now November and they get a reminder card in the mail. They send me texts saying we ruined the couch and couldn't find our number. Its linen and I honestly cant imagine how it could have happened. We clean upholstery with Prochems all fiber deep clean. She says it felt stiff afterwards and started to tear. If it happened maybe a week or even a month ago I would feel like maybe we should put in a claim, but 8 months ??? I need advice on this because I honestly dont feel like we should pay. Anything could have happened between now and then.

Attachments

• ripped cushion 1.jpg
    ripped cushion 1.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 259
  • ripped cushion 2.jpg
    ripped cushion 2.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 254

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
We even went out a second time and cleaned carpets there and the client said they couch came out great. It is only now that there is a problem.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Do they still have the sofa? I would think that more damage would have occurred if you ruined the fabric. How old is sofa?

I would not pay after 8 months.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Did it tear in the fold? It looks as if it tore in the pleat. That edge will receive more wear and likely was pulled apart as someone sat down.

I don't believe you did anything wrong but if you felt compelled the most I would do is offer to have that tucked in and repaired.

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
I don't believe we did anything wrong either. They are saying now that the fabric felt stiff but they thought it would go away after it dried. I believe they are lying. If they would have came to me right away then sure I would feel compelled to do something. I just don't. The main issue is how do I communicate this to them without getting crazy about it.

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
She is saying when it dried it felt stiff. I think they ****** it up and are being coached by a re upholsterer or something. Either way..I need a nice and calm way to say **** off.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Just explain you processed it as you do all special care fabrics. No harsh solutions were used, in fact only mild cleaning agents are used on special care fabrics. You've also cleaned many pieces over the years and have never had an issue with any other client. While you do feel bad about the tear, you can't be responsible for something you didn't cause.

Reactions: Jim Morrison

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Well... I wouldn't ignore them but I would also state to them why you couldn't have caused it and after 8 months you couldn't get a hold of me. You have an invoice with our info, you wrote a check in our name, you have a phone record of the call you made. I'm sorry we are not responsible for any damages 8 months later as you claim.

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
We cleaned a linen couch back in march. It is now November and they get a reminder card in the mail. They send me texts saying we ruined the couch and couldn't find our number. Its linen and I honestly cant imagine how it could have happened. We clean upholstery with Prochems all fiber deep clean. She says it felt stiff afterwards and started to tear. If it happened maybe a week or even a month ago I would feel like maybe we should put in a claim, but 8 months ??? I need advice on this because I honestly dont feel like we should pay. Anything could have happened between now and then.

If you "honestly can't imagine how it could have happened", you need to take a Fine Fabric Cleaning refresher course from Jim Pemberton.

I recommend you review your inspection report. How old was the piece? How soiled? Any pretexting fiber damage? Was the piece cleaned before? When and by what company?

Did you use low moisture cleaning techniques and fans to speed dry this fine fabric?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Rico has a nice answer. Since you've already talked with the customer, let her know you've checked out the product you've used just to see if there were any changes that you didn't know about. Finding none, there isn't any way that your cleaning solution or method could cause this. Do not speculate on what could be the issue (age, previous cleaning, damage by kids...)

Since I'm not talking with the customer... I'd speculate that this is a seam that's let go under some kind of physical stress. Upholsterers often hide seams in the pleats of button-tufted furniture and they're a weak spot when the furniture is moved or has kids playing on it. It would be a cheap and easy fix if you can find an upholsterer that does house calls.

Reactions: Wing It

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Makes you wonder if it was sprayed with peroxide after cleaning to brighten or added to prespray and never rinsed well enough. 8 months is a big concern too.

You gotta at least go look at it and own up to it or confidently show them the real reason.

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
We didnt use any peroxide products. I stay away from them on natural fiber. The tech said the couch wasnt even really dirty and he just rinsed using all fiber deep clean. I can understand if we used high ph stuff or any additives to a pre spray but that wasnt the case. We even went back there another day and cleaned carpets for them and at that moment they said that the couch came out great. I agree that they had multiple avenues to contact me and didnt exercise them. Since I run a legit business and am honest in my personal life, it just makes me uncomfortable when I have to deal with someone who is trying to take advantage. I am trying to figure out how to do it calmly and effectively instead of the old Brooklyn shut'm up.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
That always a tough one. Ignoring them will definitely not make the problem go away.

I don't know if these people try to take advantage or not. Most people don't. In their mind, they truly believe that it is connected to the cleaning. Regardless of that, if you deal with them while you are convinced that they're trying to take advantage, it will show in the way you deal with them.

Not saying that you should replace or fix. That's your decision and sometime unfortunately, it comes down to what solution is the lesser of two evils. However you need to show concern, come and look at it, explain how your cleaning could not have done it and take it from there.

Not suggesting that you should do it, but sometime when I asked a client what would make them happy and resolve the issue, what they actually asked for was a lot less then what I was willing to do.

Reactions: Dan and Desk Jockey
Name
Lee Stockwell
I don't believe we did anything wrong either. They are saying now that the fabric felt stiff but they thought it would go away after it dried. I believe they are lying. If they would have came to me right away then sure I would feel compelled to do something. I just don't. The main issue is how do I communicate this to them without getting crazy about it.

Don't.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ignoring them will definitely not make the problem go away.
I agree, it could make the situation much worse. I'm not suggesting replacing but you do need to take the time to see what they are talking about and explaining your position.

I know too many times we make decisions without actually putting hands on the problem. I'd go take more photo's, maybe even test the PH, inspect the total piece, ask a few questions and document it. Maybe even look at the condition of her other upholstered pieces. Make no claims for wrong doing and make your decision on how you'll handle it for later.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Heck no! 8 months ago is to long. Many things could have happened to that fabric in the mean time. I understand they couldn't find your number, do you leave a receipt with your phone number or a business card with them? Do you call prior to arrival, caller ID would have had your number? People try to get everything fixed for free when convenient. We had a lady who said rust formed in the buttons of there cushions on a linen couch an hour after we got done cleaning it. When we called to find out more information her husband answered. Said he always cleaned the cushions of the couch with a hose outside.. So rust had already been forming in these metal buttons way before we touched it... Rust doesn't form in 1 hour. (thankfully we took pictures of the buttons prior to cleaning, they had small rust marks).

In your case, I would explain to the customer since it has been such a long period since you had cleaned the couch, you can't verify or justify that this was not from wear/tear on the couch. If they had called you immediately, your techs could have gone out and investigated. Fiber rinse doesn't cause this type of damage. Also maybe mention that you have never had this happen to any other upholstery. I told this ladies husband we clean approx. 15-20 couches a week and know what our product can or can't do. He said his wife just wanted something from it. Just explain nicely. I think if you file a claim with insurance they would fight her on it anyways.

ryankettering

Name
Ryan Kettering
As said before, don't speculate or talk with the customer about how it could have happened. Just explain that what you did could not have caused this. Try not to say anything to piss them off and don't take blame, but apologize that you can not help them more and that maybe they should contact the furniture manufacturer. I am guessing they have already done this, and got shrugged off from them. People pick on the small companies because they no there is no budging with the big companies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom